Spontaneous TC Journey

LillyandSilver

Esteemed Member
Oct 18, 2023
I'm so sorry about Goodwin.
I've followed your journey from the start on here and have every faith in you securing a TC from a firm that is worthy of you and your passion. It is genuinely Goodwin's loss. I know the rejection might be raw right now but you secured two VS from very very good firms, your cycle isn't over yet and even if it was you will have come out with so much experience that next year if you choose to apply you'll ace it.
I was feeling pretty down about the state of my future last year and doing a master's was just what I needed to recalibrate and make up for some poor grades in my final year which I thought would turn every firm off me. There are so many options for you.

• Love
Reactions: Legalstalker

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Really sorry to hear this, have been following your journey for a while. Although it hurts now, you will be able to take this experience and draw on it in the future. A vac scheme is good experience that you will be able to draw on in future applications. I also encourage you to seek out feedback and apply it to your next vacation scheme, which I have no doubt you will smash.

Goodwin chose to invite you on the VS for a reason, and you would no doubt be able to reach this stage again at a similar firm. You have done so well in your first cycle (I didn't make it past written app stage first time round!) and this will not define you.

• Love

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    There is a saying in my culture that goes something like "Everything that happens to you is for a good end and you will come to learn of it gradually". I have also been rejected post-VS on my first VS, I understand the frustration you are going through. But I feel post-VS rejections are never an indication of ability. The way I see it, most of the time, if a firm thinks you are good enough for VS you are technically good enough to be a trainee ie. they already think "This person CAN work here". The VS serves more as a "vibe check" for them to decide "Do I want this person to work here?". And this judgement is almost never objective or fair. There are so many factors at play: your own state of mind, your fellow VS cohort, your supervisor, your exit interviewer (and if they are having a bad day when they interviewed u), business needs ... It is essentially a game of chance and luck. So never take it out on yourself for not getting the TC. The recruiters at other law firms would also see a post-VS rejection as more of a misalignment of fit rather than a testament of your lack of ability. You will find new and better opportunities in the future. With a big law name on your resume now, you will only get offers from even better firms, never doubt that!! Good luck x

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Really sorry to hear this! I also have 2 schemes this year and feel like I messed up my first one (I don't hear back until august!) You're clearly very capable and intelligent. It might be tough to hear but I say really take in the feedback so you smash the next one!!! We've got this and the journey certainly isn't over. Final push my friendddd :))

adharfield

Jun 25, 2022
    I appreciate the feeling of rejection must be massive for you. Remember the feeling, it means you really wanted it.

You have overachieved in your first cycle securing two vacation schemes when the vast majority don't get something like this until multiple cycles, and to have the experience of a VS before going into a second one is absolutely massive and a privilege. Take the rejection on the chin, get that feedback, and have the confidence to smash the second one. The TC is in touching distance for you, so have that bit of resilience to pick yourself up and smash it.

• Love

Hopesandprayers

Apr 9, 2024
    So sorry about this, I went through the same thing last year. It is disorienting but in the long run you’ll realise that it was a blessing in disguise. No doubt you will smash the next VS!

I saw your post on Reddit and felt so bad for all the abuse you were getting. Don’t let the naysayers make you quit law and still keep all your options open re the masters and other firms.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Thank you to everyone for your messages.

I really appreciate it, i think I needed some time to just chill and reflect and put the experience in the past rather than be upset about something I couldn’t change and potentially affects my outlook on others firms….. it is what it is at the end of the day.

Based off of everyone’s comments I’ll be treating the VS as an application/legal experience boost instead of a TC loss. Considering many of the schemers i thought would be successful weren’t and have summer schemes. I’ll be looking towards to future and not the past.

Anywho back to business. I’m on a bit of a time crunch, I want to hopefully secure a TC this summer allowing me to possibly do the masters in September. I don’t feel comfortable doing the masters without having a plan after it so would not so it if I wasn’t successful. Others may disagree but security is key for me. Next up is my December/ January deadline. I’ve deferred my place at the bar for 1 year so realistically have until January to get a TC until I’m forced to rescind my spot and the scholarship or do it.

Winter VS applications, now I know I probably don’t need to do anymore VS applications having had 2 this cycle but many firms after winter VS offers TC’s before January. This would be a big plus for me and I know many firms like A&O Sherman, White & Case, Sidley etc that have really good conversion rates for their VS. Another good thing for me is no international students (sorry) but this reduces the competition a bit compared to spring and summer schemes!

When I first started my journey I just applied to firms for the sake of it many times I didn’t actually know what I was looking for…. Having done a vacation scheme I know the kind of firm I want to work at ish. I know how to apply myself better in these applications having heard it first from grad rec and partners. They want someone who brings something different and I believe that’s why I got my vacation schemes but personality can only get you so far. I’ve resubscribed to Ziplaw for commercial awareness and will be doing some forage courses online to understand better how to tackle written assessments as this is my weakness.

I will say during my VS I was consumed all too much about what was happening that I didn’t prep for the interview or tasks as much as I should I prepped better for the VS interview than the TC interview which was stupid but lesson learnt.

After all that talking happy to share my minimal list of firms I’ll be applying to for direct TC. You may be wondering why some some firms I’m not applying to. Well that’s either because I don’t want to work there or I applied before so I can’t apply again.

IMG_4392.jpeg

Background I’ve applied to Slaughter and May and Stephenson Harwood already this cycle. I was rejected from Slaughter and May in October not surprised my cover letter was crap but also my first year grades are the best. Luckily I can improve my cover letter and put my all into it, I’ve been doing my cover letter for 3 days as opposed to 30 minutes the last time. I can’t change my first year grades so they’ll just have to look past those and look at the end result (I do have mitigating circumstances)
    #firstyeaergradesdontcount

I was invited for SH online tests for their summer scheme whilst I was on my VS and I didn’t do it as I believe I’d convert…. Look at where I am now😂

I also applied to macfarlanes for VS but I didn’t complete the test as I was just too busy. Thank god for that decision as I can do the TC application, spent a while redoing my answers to their questions and familiarising myself with the firm and if I actually wanted to work there.

TLT, KL gates and Trowers I’m still researching these firms I don’t want to make an application unless I can fully apply myself in the interview if given one. My Goodwin, Simmons and Pinsent Mason interviews were my best as I genuinely liked the firms and didn’t have to fake it for the opportunity.

Fried frank, SC and PH all US firms would love to apply as I really enjoy the big responsibility that comes with being in a small firm and a lot of their work centres around PE. But…. SC and PH have vacation schemes which could make the direct TC entry super duper hard. I’m pretty sure SC has two VS cohorts as well😭 I’ll decide in a few weeks if I’ll apply to them or not.

Fried Frank as per legalcheek stats only recruit from RG or international universities. I’m not in the risk it for a chocolate biscuit mood! I don’t have the time to put effort into an application for it to be thrown in the bin based on university. I emailed about this and they said “we accept applications from all universities” accepting and progressing are two different things therefore I’m in the fence and will not apply to them for the time being unless I have a spare day or so.

Eversheds and RPC I didn’t apply for their VS so I can do their TC I’m also on the fence. I do like Eversheds but not sure about RPC as of yet. So will look into it more but they’re due soo soon I don’t even know if I have the time to do them ugh.

That’s enough of my waffling, I’m happy to share my continuing journey as always and any advice, questions or query’s. I’m a pretty open book.

Congratulations you’ve reached the end of my message you deserve a TC for that 🤣

Thank you to everyone who sent a message publicly or privately it’s much appreciated. x

Last edited:

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Application update✨
    3BC2DD93-C9C3-4069-8DF1-F573C3AD6319.jpeg

I’ve changed a few of the firms I’ve applied to/will apply to. I’ve taken out a few US firms as I didn’t see myself getting past the application stage, I’m still debating on Paul Hastings as to whether I should remove them too.

I’ve added in a niche firm of Dorsey as I really like the clientele and small office vibe of 30 people but they only take 2 trainees a year… I don’t know why I’m soo optimistic about applying there lol.

Morgan Lewis is beauty of a firm, amazing practice areas, small intake of 6 trainees and I like the culture of the firm. It is of course a US firm so competition is fierce and the A level requirements are too haha. They also have a Summer VS so not holding out on a high direct TC intake. Would love to make it to telephone interview if possible but if not oh well.

I’ve added Sidley for winter VS but knowing how strict they are on A levels i probs won’t apply.

Sent my Arnold Porter application yesterday, I checked back after submitting that half of my answers to the questions weren’t there which is annoying. PFO is incoming lol. I also hate submitting the last day as it makes me look soo unserious about the firm haha

does anyone know if Eversheds take a healthy amount of direct TC? I don’t want to start the application if they take 95% VS applicants Same with RPC??🤔

I’m super busy this month with no free weekends so it’ll be a struggle to do 3 applications.

The ball is now rolling and I’m starting to get information about my next VS, I think I’ve taken a back seat on trying soo hard, my efforts of doing that in the previous VS didn’t get me anywhere so maybe taking a more chilled approach is the way to go. 😎

Definitely looking more into the future of winter VS than direct TC. I feel very burnt out after 1 VS and doing soo many applications at the start of the cycle has made me hate doing applications in general. Not going to give up just yet as there’s still so much more to give.😁

legal1803

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2024
    Application update✨
    View attachment 6075

I’ve changed a few of the firms I’ve applied to/will apply to. I’ve taken out a few US firms as I didn’t see myself getting past the application stage, I’m still debating on Paul Hastings as to whether I should remove them too.

I’ve added in a niche firm of Dorsey as I really like the clientele and small office vibe of 30 people but they only take 2 trainees a year… I don’t know why I’m soo optimistic about applying there lol.

Morgan Lewis is beauty of a firm, amazing practice areas, small intake of 6 trainees and I like the culture of the firm. It is of course a US firm so competition is fierce and the A level requirements are too haha. They also have a Summer VS so not holding out on a high direct TC intake. Would love to make it to telephone interview if possible but if not oh well.

I’ve added Sidley for winter VS but knowing how strict they are on A levels i probs won’t apply.

Sent my Arnold Porter application yesterday, I checked back after submitting that half of my answers to the questions weren’t there which is annoying. PFO is incoming lol. I also hate submitting the last day as it makes me look soo unserious about the firm haha

does anyone know if Eversheds take a healthy amount of direct TC? I don’t want to start the application if they take 95% VS applicants Same with RPC??🤔

I’m super busy this month with no free weekends so it’ll be a struggle to do 3 applications.

The ball is now rolling and I’m starting to get information about my next VS, I think I’ve taken a back seat on trying soo hard, my efforts of doing that in the previous VS didn’t get me anywhere so maybe taking a more chilled approach is the way to go. 😎

Definitely looking more into the future of winter VS than direct TC. I feel very burnt out after 1 VS and doing soo many applications at the start of the cycle has made me hate doing applications in general. Not going to give up just yet as there’s still so much more to give.😁
    Is Dorsey & Whitney not for a 2025 TC?

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    I am so sorry for not converting your vacation scheme. I had the same feeling when rejected after my VS as well, but I want you to not give up and keep doing the same work till you make it. I am sure you are now in a better position with two vacation scheme in your pocket, as it will significantly improve your chances with direct TC applications.
    Regarding Eversheds TC route, they are not recruiting anyone from direct TC and all trainees will be chosen from the VS. I dropped their VS offer and they said we cannot offer TC interview as everyone should pass through the VS. Hope this helps you to not waste your time.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I am so sorry for not converting your vacation scheme. I had the same feeling when rejected after my VS as well, but I want you to not give up and keep doing the same work till you make it. I am sure you are now in a better position with two vacation scheme in your pocket, as it will significantly improve your chances with direct TC applications.
    Regarding Eversheds TC route, they are not recruiting anyone from direct TC and all trainees will be chosen from the VS. I dropped their VS offer and they said we cannot offer TC interview as everyone should pass through the VS. Hope this helps you to not waste your time.
    Thank you for your words of encouragement! I will definitely keep pushing through. I hope you celebrated well with your TC offer!!
    Appreciate the Eversheds information. Soo silly for them to have the applications open if they know they will only recruit from VS. At least I can put more time and effort into my other applications.

• Love
    Reactions: Ghassen and Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.