TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    How can I prepare for a 'tell us about a recent deal' interview question? The firm doesn't have a huge amount of detail on its website.
    in my AC they asked this and I only roughly mentioned what practice areas were (probably) involved, and then spent more time talking about the impacts of that deal - potential challenges, opportunities and competition in the industry. I also linked the deal to a recent case I read from FT just to say how and where it was situated in the economy. I know many ppl focus on what role the firm plays in the case instead - so this was just my approach!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    **Trigger warning - very strong opinion below**

Argue So What GIF by grown-ish

I personally find this really annoying and also somewhat pretentious (sorry those who do this ;) ). I find it a really toxic community culture trait born out of how competitive the market is and people constantly trying to show they are better than the next person. It doesn't serve any purpose but to inflate egos.
    Thank you for this, I wanted to comment something along these lines but couldn't conjure a delicate way to put it.

Bill-Moore

• Dec 22, 2021
    Does anyone have insights into Freshfields and akin gump vac scheme experiences. I’m torn between American and MC!!
    Freshfields is way more structured, enjoyable and has a greater chance of securing a TC out of the placement. Lots of socials too.

AG is more a throw you in the deep end and go network kinda vibe. Given real work to complete & more pressure. Perhaps more rewarding but riskier & less of an experience.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For a WG, will there be a pre-set test group or does it change after everyone has done the test?
    Could be either to be honest. Usually depends on whether the firm will assess as each candidate completes their assessment or whether they wait for all candidates to complete the assessment.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    how do you structure a "what difficulties may arise when operating in jurisdiction X" question? do you speak of more political, economic or legal events happening there?
    You could discuss any of those points - I suspect how much you talk about them will depend on the jurisdiction identified. For some, the issues will be more political, while with the next jurisdiction it may be down to the legal market.

Reactions: Miki3999
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.