TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sfernan21

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 26, 2021
How can I prepare for a 'tell us about a recent deal' interview question? The firm doesn't have a huge amount of detail on its website.
I find you often have to look beyond the firm's website. In my experience many websites seem outdated and actually provide minimal information on their deals, cases and recent updates.

Try looking on The Lawyer, Global Legal Post, Legal 500 for recent cases/clients. I also find a really useful resource is the firm's LinkedIn page, as partners/fee-earners will often post details about their work and provide interesting opinions! Once you have found the deal/case, you can then look online more generally at the companies, sectors and jurisdictions involved.

Hope that helps!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Have a Macfarlanes AC and have never done a group exercise before. Does anyone have advice on how to do well in group tasks.
Hi @Fakram,

Apologies if this has been answered already. However, in case it hasn't:

Broadly, my advice is to work with others rather than treating them as your competition. Build off (and recognise) contributions of others! For more in depth thoughts, check out my biggest tips for group exercises here.

Tips from elsewhere on the forum:
Do reach out if you would like anything related or unrelated to this!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys, I have an AC at Freshfields. I was wondering if anyone has some experience with them and can offer an insight into the process. Thank you
Hi @art,

Congratulations for getting progressed to interview for Freshfields.

Getting to this stage with a firm like Freshfields is a huge achievement, so I hope that you have taken stock of how exceptional even getting to interview is 🏆 🏆

To make sure that I am giving you relevant advice, is this for a VS or TC?

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 18, 2020
Guys what happens if a dispute doesn't settle after you've exhausted all forms of alternative dispute resolution?? Do you then go through litigation?
basically yes! You'd start the process of bringing a claim. Worth noting that both sides can continue to pursue ADR until the actual trial date tho so settlements can be made at the very last minute.

Reactions: LEL and h1
D

Deleted member 11671

Guys what happens if a dispute doesn't settle after you've exhausted all forms of alternative dispute resolution?? Do you then go through litigation?
I would also like to add that one party can send the other a 'without prejudice' settlement offer during litigation. If the other party accepts, the litigation cones to an end. I have seen this happen during my legal work experience.

Reactions: Miki3999 and LEL

Y-Gurl

Dec 2, 2021
If the writing exercise at an AC is a letter, do you have to lay it out with addresses and date etc. ( properly formatted) or just write 'Dear XXXX' then the letter, then sign off either 'Yours Faithfully/Sincerely' (like you write a cover letter that is part of an application)? Writing a letter out properly would use up precious minutes in a timed exercise.
Similarly if you have to write a memo as an exercise is part of the test that you format it properly?
Got an AC coming up and keep fretting about this! Many Thanks in anticipation.
Sorry to send this message again, but can anyone cast any light please?

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
ADR includes both mediation and arbitration. Mediation is consensual and if talks collapse litigation is the next step - both parties are free to take it to court at any time. Arbitration generally ends in a binding award, and the courts - at least those of E&W - are generally reluctant to interfere with arbitration decisions or to give parties a route to abandon arbitration processes.

Reactions: tc_hopeful and LEL

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If the writing exercise at an AC is a letter, do you have to lay it out with addresses and date etc. ( properly formatted) or just write 'Dear XXXX' then the letter, then sign off either 'Yours Faithfully/Sincerely' (like you write a cover letter that is part of an application)? Writing a letter out properly would use up precious minutes in a timed exercise.
Similarly if you have to write a memo as an exercise is part of the test that you format it properly?
Yes, if it is a letter, then I would go with all the formalities of a letter.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Why have you applied to Morgan Lewis? What do you think are the skills and attributes you possess that distinguish you from other applicants? 300 words - would you split a question like this 50:50 in terms of what you would say about the firm and about yourself, or spend more explaining why you like the firm, as I think my skills and attributes come out well in my employment history section.

dont know why its all underlined oops

IRO

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer 5
    Jan 21, 2021
    This depends on the firm. For my ACs I went with simply ‘Dear XYZ’ and signed off with ‘Best wishes’/‘Kind regards’ for letters/emails. For memos I did not have to format it in any way, though I did use headings to make my writing clearer. Worked for me, but YMMV depending on the firm.

Tony Stark

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 23, 2021
    Hi @art,

Congratulations for getting progressed to interview for Freshfields.

Getting to this stage with a firm like Freshfields is a huge achievement, so I hope that you have taken stock of how exceptional even getting to interview is 🏆 🏆

To make sure that I am giving you relevant advice, is this for a VS or TC?
    Hi George,

Thank you for this. It is for their summer vacation scheme.

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.