TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah, been invited to do a voice recorded interview.. new one on me
All the benefits of a pre-recorded video interview, but employers are increasingly using these voice interviews to ensure there are fewer biases (e.g. how someone looks, what they are wearing etc) while people are being assessed. Having assessed some recently (outside of law), as an assessor it really makes you focus on what someone says.

Reactions: sxw517

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Is Sidley really that extreme? I've gotten a less elitist vibe from them than from many of the other US firms
    I don't think they are that elitist, it was said a bit tongue in cheek really!

I guess its the firms reputation and salary that gives me the idea that they may be.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I don't think they are that elitist, it was said a bit tongue in cheek really!

I guess its the firms reputation and salary that gives me the idea that they may be.
    I hadn't realised until just now that their NQ salary had jumped, they used to be a bit lower than the other US big money firms - feeling less confident about my application now!

• Haha
    Reactions: sxw517

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    yup! basically 80% means you have outperformed 8 people out of 10
    We have to be careful here to not mix up percentages and percentiles.

A percentile will not have a % sign at the end and will be calculated as you have suggested.

A percentage will be your score but has no comparison to how other people have done. For instance, your percentage score could be 80% but you could be the the 2nd percentile when compared to other people who have also taken the test.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    We have to be careful here to not mix up percentages and percentiles.

A percentile will not have a % sign at the end and will be calculated as you have suggested.

A percentage will be your score but has no comparison to how other people have done. For instance, your percentage score could be 80% but you could be the the 2nd percentile when compared to other people who have also taken the test.
    Would a 3rd percentile be bad then.

If I were you, I would ask your less preferred firm, whether you can transfer to one of their other vacation schemes (the earlier the better as with notice this is more likely than if you ask last minute). If they say no, you could even ask your preferred firm the same question. You will not be rejected/have your offer reneged for asking whether it is possible to change dates, it is a completely fair question. Personally, I think you are entitled to seek as much information as you can from both firms to make the best decision for your future.

If both firms say it is not possible, then you will have to choose your preferred firm unfortunately.

With regards to your second question, I would do what is best for you. Some people drop out because they have completed and have accepted training contract elsewhere (as well as for other reasons).
    Thank you!

As a follow up question, I have a scheme running for 3 weeks. I confirmed the dates & everything but looking at my personal plans, it's very likely I would be unable to attend the last Friday in the last week of the 3-week scheme. I am not sure how to bring this up to GR (and not sure how important the reason for not attending would be - basically a really important family event) and not sure if there would be big consequences... I know the scheme is paid in theory I should be 'at work' but at the same time it's only the last day and I'd tell them in advance?

Anyone have any guidance for this? Thank you very much

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    I know the answer is yes, it’s definitely worth it, that being said the only people I know with TCs at Sidley got 1sts from Cambridge 🤣🤣
    Imagine working with the other place's grads only, I would die. That said, I think it's always worth applying and the only case in which you will certainly not be hired is when you do not send the app out at all.

Reactions: emilyrose99

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Thank you!

As a follow up question, I have a scheme running for 3 weeks. I confirmed the dates & everything but looking at my personal plans, it's very likely I would be unable to attend the last Friday in the last week of the 3-week scheme. I am not sure how to bring this up to GR (and not sure how important the reason for not attending would be - basically a really important family event) and not sure if there would be big consequences... I know the scheme is paid in theory I should be 'at work' but at the same time it's only the last day and I'd tell them in advance?

Particularly on a 3-week scheme one day shouldn't be a big deal. Purely from a holiday entitlement perspective you should technically be afforded a day off for every ~2wks work. Just make sure to communicate this upfront, they should let you know if it's an issue.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you!

It is possible to take a small amount of time off - given it is the last day, this might be less of an issue too.

Tell them now - explain you will make the time up over the rest of the week if they can approve the time off.

They might say no and then you'll have to find a way around it (e.g. working remotely, travelling to the family event in the evening) but there is a chance they will say it is ok.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.