TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Hey @AspiringIPLawyer,

This post might be helpful for the AC! I had two scenario interviews and a competency interview (although the firm should email you ahead of the AC with more information). This may have changed though so take what I have said with a pinch of salt!

Let me know how it goes!

Awesome advice here @I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs!

Hey @CorporateLaw101,

Personally I always tried to use up the space. Having said that, it will make no difference if you are waffling just with the intention of using up space. If the choice is between waffling or having a shorter, more succinct answer (below the limit by 10-15%), definitely go with the latter!

Hope that helps 😊

Hey @pizzamalia,

Absolutely. I did this after all of my interviews. As was pointed out by another user, firms often provide this as part of the vacation scheme once you are on it!

Hey @Nicole15,

I know exactly what you mean about the lack of tangible, practical advice regarding steps to take ahead of an AC. This post might help. I tried to outline the practical steps that I took ahead of my interviews.

Let me know how it goes!

Hey @therealellewoods,

I did not interview with ML personally. However, I believe @James Carrabino interviewed with them! He might be able to provide some insight on this. 💪
    Thank you so much, George! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So I just wanted to give an update - because I think it would be useful for others that are going through sh^$. I just received the call that I got a vacation scheme offer from Linklaters
    Reflecting back now I completely understand the mental state I was in - but I wish I had not brought myself down like that and that I would have believed in myself.
    I missed this yesterday, so congratulations! Follow up posts like this are so important I feel for our community, so not only delighted to hear the good news for you but also for people to see that these feelings do not necessarily mean that your negative assumptions on your future performance become true.

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    How did people find the Pinsents test?
    Is it just me or is the GMA-A test just a random collection of symbols lol

Couldn't make out the difference between Group A and B for the life of me, let alone assign the answers to the right group/neither. I think I ended up only genuinely attempting 2 questions out of the 23? I could only seriously identify the patterns in less than 3 questions, and the rest was just me randomly clicking

I thought I could prepare for the GMA-A by practising logical reasoning tests but having done this, and then completed the GMA-A, I feel like my practice made no difference whatsoever. For logical reasoning tests there's usually a logical pattern/sequence, and as you practice you get better at identifying them. But as I sat for the GMA-A I felt like the skill you would need to do well in the GMA-A is so different from the average logical reasoning tests. Practice will probably make you better at it, but I couldn't find any free GMA-A practice tests online :(

The email invite says this though, so I guess that means our whole application is reviewed holistically and the GMA-A results don't serve as a strict cut-off point? 🤷‍♀️
    "The candidates chosen to attend the final stage of the selection process, a virtual assessment centre, will be those who perform strongly across both the application form and the psychometric assessment"​
    I'm just wondering if a candidate with a relatively strong application form but atrocious GMA-A results would still get a chance of being invited to AC 🤔

I had a friend who got invited to GMA last year but got PFO after the test. I'm just hoping that my whole application doesn't go to waste because of this 😭

Also, would be interesting to hear how others prepared for the GMA-A test

Reactions: A92167!8 and ke789

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    Have people had AC invites from Linklaters for the summer VS?

Please do the emoji agree/disagree thing to show whether you have or not!! I know of many rejections from quite early on but surely having heard nothing at this stage must be a PFO too 😣
    THey posted on their insta stories that lots of people were emailing them regarding an update and they said that they're still reviewing/handing out ACs so we should hear back in the next few weeks!

Reactions: smfc and h1
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.