TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I need to prepare for a behavioural based interview. Can I use the star method to answer ?
The STAR method typically only works for competency based questions where you are pulling on your past experiences. Strengths based questions tend to be much more forward looking or are asking you to talk more about your feelings/reactions to situations than what you did.

Reactions: jan28

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Thank you @AvniD and @James Carrabino ! My AC is tomorrow so I guess there really isn’t much I can do in way of preparation besides the things I’ve already done! I’ve woken up feeling a bit better so I am hoping the trend continues for tomorrow. I am a bit worried because it’s from 10-4 and I have been quite exhausted but fingers crossed I’ll be able to use the adrenaline to push my through! Ofc I feel like I’ve not been able to prepare as well as I would have hoped as I’ve been sick for the last 5 days but I have to just have faith in what I know 🙏🏼 I’ve already let graduate recruitment know that I tested positive but given the assessment centre is virtual I don’t think there is much they can do especially given that it involves a group exercise!
Let us know how it goes @thirdtimelucky, I am thinking of you right now and I have a good feeling about it 😊

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Could anyone refer me to any links that set out good structures to follow when having to complete a written exercise in an AC that is based on a summary to a client.
Thank you so much.
Hi @John Abram - if your written exercise takes the form of a case study then I have written some advice on things to do in preparation, including in the assessment before you start writing!

@George Maxwell has also offered some excellent insight into how you should be looking to structure your written exercise :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi everyone, I've just finished my cycle of applications and excited (and in disbelief) to say that I've been offered two Training Contracts and a vacation scheme this cycle. It's going to be a difficult decision, but one that I never thought I'd have to make.

This was my third cycle, and I was rejected from every firm I applied to last year at the application stage, but I can really say that TCLA was pivotal to my progress this year and I would like to thank every one of you, especially @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for this platform and for all your help. I could truly never have done it without the materials and support. I'm usually a bit of a lurker in the forum, but I went through it a LOT (perhaps obsessively) and it would often help me calm down before an interview.

To those of you still in the heat of the cycle, I wish you all the best of luck! It's such a stressful process, but you're all such strong people and I believe in you.

P.S. What is the process for uploading interview / application experiences?
Wow @Beluga, this is so inspiring - congratulations!

• Love
Reactions: ZS and Beluga

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Let us know how it goes @thirdtimelucky, I am thinking of you right now and I have a good feeling about it 😊
    Thank you James! I’ve just finished and honestly had a really enjoyable time (although I am exhausted!). Really couldn’t have had a better interview tbh and loved the negotiation/case study though felt quite interrogated by my assessor haha. Thank you all for the support, I really appreciate it ❤️

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Thank you James! I’ve just finished and honestly had a really enjoyable time (although I am exhausted!). Really couldn’t have had a better interview tbh and loved the negotiation/case study though felt quite interrogated by my assessor haha. Thank you all for the support, I really appreciate it ❤️
    @thirdtimelucky I am so happy to hear that it went well! The result is out of your hands but you should be incredibly proud of the resilience you demonstrated by getting through the interview - now go take a long rest and recover 😊

• Love
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    is the imposition of sanctions on kremlin-linked oligarchs if russia invades ukraine commercial enough to use as a news story if asked in an interview? or is it too political?
    Great example, if the firm works for any big banks that do business with Russian oligarchs I'd discuss potential implications for those clients.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.