TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I wanted to ask what people think about this.

In an application question about why this firm is it okay to talk about a firm's awards and deals that are not in their London office for example discussing an award for litigation in the USA office or discussing a deal that their New York office was working on. Is this okay to discuss in an application or should you always discuss awards and deals in their UK offices. I am talking about US law firms as I know most of their work is cross border work.

What do you lot think @Jessica Booker @AvniD @James Carrabino @George Maxwell @Jaysen

Thank you in advance for any advice.
If I were to do this, using your litigation award as an example, I would mention the award won in the US, then link it back to the UK office by saying something like this translates to the London office as there is also a strong litigation team as evidence by ranking or something similar depending on the firm. I would only mention a US specific thing if it also linked to the London office, no point mentioning something that has no relevance to the UK office you are applying to.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,
I have secured two Vac Schemes (one Spring, one Summer) and I am looking for any resources that help with converting VS into TC offers. I've done a little light googling but I wondered if anyone has any top tips/resources that they think are particularly helpful. Is there a forum on TCLA for this?
Some links to relevant content :

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you very much for this.

So it is okay to discuss this as long as you justify your interest in why it interests you.
Not really - it needs to be more about how this influences the opportunity you are applying to first rather than solely why it interests you.

• Love
Reactions: AvniD and Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    This is my personal opinion.

I would not mention it for two reasons: first and foremost, you will work in London and as part of the british team so you have to show that you are interested in working with them. Secondly, if the UK lawyers are not involved you are likely mentioning someone that graduate team does not know.
    If I were to do this, using your litigation award as an example, I would mention the award won in the US, then link it back to the UK office by saying something like this translates to the London office as there is also a strong litigation team as evidence by ranking or something similar depending on the firm. I would only mention a US specific thing if it also linked to the London office, no point mentioning something that has no relevance to the UK office you are applying to.
    Thank you very much both for this advice it is really helpful.

I understand what you mean and appreciate the helpful advice. Also @Abii that is really helpful guidance and see what you mean.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for this and you mean linking it to the office that you are applying if it is relevant to that office.
    Yes, if the deal/award has no connection or influence to the opportunity you are applying to, there is little sense in using it in my opinion.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Thank you very much both for this advice it is really helpful.

I understand what you mean and appreciate the helpful advice. Also @Abii that is really helpful guidance and see what you mean.
    No problem, I suppose the important thing to highlight is why thats relevant to you applying to their London office, for example I have had some success at least got past initial app with a few west-coast HQ US law firms, and on the face of it the fact they are California HQ might not be at all relevant to London, but I use that to highlight that the fact they are California based means they have a large tech practice as the clients are based there which translates globally as tech businesses operate globally and my area of interest is tech.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    No problem, I suppose the important thing to highlight is why thats relevant to you applying to their London office, for example I have had some success at least got past initial app with a few west-coast HQ US law firms, and on the face of it the fact they are California HQ might not be at all relevant to London, but I use that to highlight that the fact they are California based means they have a large tech practice as the clients are based there which translates globally as tech businesses operate globally and my area of interest is tech.
    I understand what you mean.

This is actually a really good point and agree with you.

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

LegalAmin

Star Member
    Aug 4, 2021
    Anyone who has done the DAC Beachcroft VI, were you able to access the questions beforehand (as is suggested in the email they sent) and if so how did you do that? Thanks!
    If you click the link they give. You don’t have to start any of the questions. Basically you can flick through all four questions beforehand and the VI only starts when you click record but you can also re-record. They said you can re-record 3times but it seemed like they allowed more but I didn’t go over the 3 just in case

Reactions: Legalmel_99
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.