TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    When discussing a deal for example I heard that Dentons were involved in the Newcastle United FC takeover do you think it is okay to discuss that the deal interests me by linking my interest in football. By discussing how that can lead to other football clubs in the Premier League being brought by Arab entrepreneurs something on the lines of that. Would that add my commercial knowledge and would that be good to include my personal interest in football.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I've seen that a firm sometimes offers direct TCs after a VS AC for their regional offices but not their London office - why would that be?
    They cancel VS and this happens sometimes with law firms or they have filled up all their VS places but you was a really excellent candidate.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Random q, but on a vac scheme if you go out to lunch/coffee with a trainee/associate/partner of the firm, do they pay for it?
    Often times they’re aware they earn far more than you and will take that into consideration in inviting you out (especially for lunch). Especially with vac schemers they can also expense this back to the firm. Never assume they will but tbh I’d be surprised if they didn’t.

That said, a coffee is £3. If they didn’t it probably wouldn’t break the bank.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Is anyone still waiting to hear back from the following firms since submitting an app:
    1. Travers Smith
    2. Mischon De Reya
    3. Gibson Dunn
    Mishcon did say they'll get back to everyone by 9 March but the other two, I have not heard from other than the standard confirmation email.
    I am still waiting to hear back from 2 of those law firms.

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    really struggling to work out NRF's competitors with specific reasoning, does anyone have any idea?
    NRF's specialities lie in project finance & banking.

Have a look at the practices the firm is ranked Tier-1 in (for example infrastructure projects), and then have a look at which other firms have the same ranking.

For example for infrastructure projects:

NRF.PNG

You can try this for other practice areas as well, and you should be able to come up with strong arguments for which firms are competitors! 🙂

Also look at lateral hires for NRF (the firms they come from), and the firms that advise on deals alongside NRF.

Hope this helps!

gdelle

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2022
    Hi, everyone. Quick question ahead of the next cycle: are there any firms that are known to be "pro-" or "anti-" career changers?

I'm phrasing it more bluntly than what I expect the reality to be, but I'd love to hear thoughts on whether XYZ firms tend to only welcome non-law grads from certain industries, if there are some known for taking on people in their 30's, etc. - any of this sort of insight would be most appreciated!

squidsalmons

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 16, 2021
    Hi everyone! I'm wondering if anyone has heard from Boodle Hatfield for their VS. I know some people have gotten interviews but I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a rejection either?

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    Hi, everyone. Quick question ahead of the next cycle: are there any firms that are known to be "pro-" or "anti-" career changers?

I'm phrasing it more bluntly than what I expect the reality to be, but I'd love to hear thoughts on whether XYZ firms tend to only welcome non-law grads from certain industries, if there are some known for taking on people in their 30's, etc. - any of this sort of insight would be most appreciated!
    Trowers make a point of being career changer friendly. They were the most explicit about it from the ones I came across in their recruitment info.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.