TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I actually cannot believe I’m saying it but I received an offer yesterday from BCLP for a training contract, which I have now accepted, following my vacation scheme last week!!

This forum has helped me so much so if anyone needs help, by all means get in touch!
Such fantastic news to open the forum to! Very, very well done 👏👏👏 Please do stay in touch with us through the Junior Lawyers' Community. We'd love to hear from you about your experiences and questions in the run-up to your TC and beyond!

MP96

Mar 21, 2022
For anyone waiting to hear from BDB Pitmans, I've just received an invite to the first stage AC. Hopefully other people waiting should hear back soon!
For anyone waiting to hear from BDB Pitmans, I've just received an invite to the first stage AC. Hopefully other people waiting should hear back soon!
Me too! Do you happen to know anything more about the type of assessment/interview? Didn’t seem to be a lot of detail in the email…

• 🏆
Reactions: Rachael.Elisa and kr253

curious_cat

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 21, 2021
does anyone have any resources for preparing for the final interview at the end of a vacation scheme placement? thanks!
Well, having been through two TC interviews now I would say that you should be well aware of what the firm really does beyond the website, practice some written exercises and speak to current trainees. If you have any specific questions, feel free to DM.

rose0904

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 6, 2021
does anyone have any advice for coping with not getting a tc after a vac scheme? it was my first vac scheme and i'm really struggling with it. i haven't had any feedback yet so not sure where i went wrong/what i could've done better, and in all honesty i thought the scheme had gone really well and i really loved the firm. i start my next vac scheme on monday which is feeling really daunting right now. it's really knocked my confidence so wondered if anyone's got any tips for feeling more positive about my next one?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
does anyone have any advice for coping with not getting a tc after a vac scheme? it was my first vac scheme and i'm really struggling with it. i haven't had any feedback yet so not sure where i went wrong/what i could've done better, and in all honesty i thought the scheme had gone really well and i really loved the firm. i start my next vac scheme on monday which is feeling really daunting right now. it's really knocked my confidence so wondered if anyone's got any tips for feeling more positive about my next one?
I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with this. Rejections can be extremely painful and challenging, especially for one's confidence and self-belief. Acknowledging this is the first crucial step in moving on, at least in my experience. Allow yourself to feel sad and disappointed and try taking a short break from thinking about applications or your future while you process your thoughts about this experience. These things really helped every time I faced a rejection, apart from taking time to focus on my interests and pursuits outside of being a commercial lawyer. Maybe consider doing something over the weekend that you really enjoy- a sport, a hobby? I also ensured that I kept my inner circle, especially my family and close friends, in the loop about what I was feeling and the the things I was struggling with. My greatest learning from dealing with rejections was that it is only when you ask for support that you can receive it, so you're doing incredibly well by posting here.

As for your next vac scheme, I'd recommend being extra kind to yourself in the first few days, while trying to give it your best. This is a new scheme, with new people and a new firm, and importantly, you've already been through one scheme so you're better prepared and armed with more knowledge so try not to talk yourself into believing that you're not fit for a TC. I've said this many times here on the forum but treating your rejections as redirections is a great way of dealing with them, and maybe you needed to have the experience you've just gone through to make the best of your scheme starting Monday.

Wishing you the very best for your vac scheme- please do keep us in the loop about how it progresses and if you're feeling better going into it. You've got this! 💪

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
hi, can I please ask what things do people take with them on a vacation scheme ?
I take what I would normally take in my work bag so water bottle notebook pen wallet keys and whatever lipstick I am wearing that day.

law firms love a branded item so will likely give you a branded notebook and pen on day one but I always bring one with me in case they don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.