axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi all,

I am due to have pre employment checks with the firm I have a TC with. On my CV which I submitted as part of the application process I stated I was an independent tutor where I helped students with applications for free and also helped the relevant university with a mentor programme. They were under the same role. This was all volunteering based and there is nothing to prove I tutored the students as I am no longer in touch with them.

Based on experience does anyone know if screening companies ask for volunteering references?
I am pretty sure that they do not, they will only contact companies you have worked for. All my volunteering experiences, non of them were contacted during the employment checks. However, this was my experience with my firm, other firms might do things differently, so this is important to keep in mind.

Reactions: UnknownLondon123

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2023
I am pretty sure that they do not, they will only contact companies you have worked for. All my volunteering experiences, non of them were contacted during the employment checks. However, this was my experience with my firm, other firms might do things differently, so this is important to keep in mind.
Just a follow-up question, do firms contact all your previous employers/internship providers or only a few? Usually undergraduate references are asked in apps and I mention them only. But, are undergrad references sufficient or do firms ask for more references?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Just a follow-up question, do firms contact all your previous employers/internship providers or only a few? Usually undergraduate references are asked in apps and I mention them only. But, are undergrad references sufficient or do firms ask for more references?
I think that they contact all the employers you put down. I am unsure whether they contact them for references purposes or just to confirm whether you actually worked at the company or you are being dishonest about it. But in my experience, they do contact all of them.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Has anyone heard back from Taylor Wessing to complete their Gamified test? I know their apps are rolling and I'm planning to submit mine today but wanted some tips for the application questions if anyone has passed that stage? tia :)
I passed that stage last year and I think that it is important to be genuine in the application. It really feels like the firm wants to know about you, your motivations and interests.
I would advise to:
  1. Be genuine in explaining your interests and motivations to commercial law and the firm and use good examples you can link back to the firm. I remember talking a lot about experiences in small tech firms I worked for in the past and I think that worked in my favour. This will come in handy especially to a firm like Taylor Wessing which is focused on technology and life sciences.
  2. Do your thorough research on the firm. I talked a lot about why I was interested in the firm and something that attracted me was their diversity networks and the presence of lawyers with diverse academic and professional background. I was intentional in mentioning examples of networks I would want to join and I think that you should do the same (if this is something that interest you). Additionally, you could dive deeper into their technology practices and how they use technology to advance the lawyers' legal skills. I remember reading something on legal-tech on the website and mentioning it in my application too.
  3. Describe everything you have done in university and link it back to how the skills you have learned there will make you a successful trainee lawyer at the firm. I went in-depth, describing my activity in the StartUp society in my undergraduate university and what I had done there and how it motivated me to be interested in emerging companies.
  4. For what concerns the Gamified test, I basically used the information they give on the website to do it and I just had fun with it. it is not difficult at all (I hope it is the same one as last year) and I think that there is nothing you an actually do to prepare for it.
I hope these tips help you and good luck with the application! @Samridhi Jain

AndreaMartins

Aug 15, 2023
Has anyone heard back from the following places:
1. BCLP (post test)
2. Hogan Lovells (post test)
3. Squire Patton Boggs
4. Bank of England
5. Gowling WLG
6. Trowers & Hamlins
7. Accutrainee
8. Lloyd’s Marketing Association
I haven’t heard from BCLP post test yet, and I just got Gowling invitation for the online test

UnknownLondon123

Standard Member
Nov 6, 2023
Thank you so much. This is really reassuring!

Reactions: axelbeugre

AndreaMartins

Aug 15, 2023
I’m only seeing a few people get BCLP VI invites, not sure what is taking so long. Congrats for getting the Gowling test invite! When did you submit your app?
Right!! I’ve only heard about one person who got the BCLP invitation for the interview. But at the same time haven’t been rejected yet so we can just wait.

I submitted my Gowling app like two months ago.I literally thought I got rejected turn out not yet

Last edited:
Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Right!! I’ve wonky hear about one person who got the BCLP invitation for the interview. But at the same time haven’t been rejected yet so we can just wait.

I submitted my Gowling app like two months ago.I literally thought I got rejected turn out not yet
    Same here so fingers crossed for us!

Okay that’s a relief. I submitted my Gowling app just last month, exactly a month before the deadline actually. I know the deadline was 22/11 so I’m assuming they’re reviewing in chronological order. Best of luck with the test and please let me know how it goes!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica - thanks for confirming. In your view, should we add the two experiences we think are most relevant or most recent?
    I would go with the work experiences that you feel show the most transferable skills or personal development - they don’t have to be the most relevant or most recent. I’d caveat that slightly with the fact that if it is for a TC, Linklaters typically want to see a certain level of legal work experience though.

Reactions: O

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.