TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    As a future trainee at the firm I can say that this year they basically offered majority of offers to the Spring scheme cohort. So I would definitely recommend to apply to that one specifically. This might change from year to year though, since last cycle was the first time they had a Spring scheme. But I would keep this statistic in mind. However, they do recruit people from direct training contract route, however, as other firms, the odds are more against the applicants since they recruit fewer people.
    Thank you so much! And I'll take your advice on board :) Definitely a top firm I have on my list because of how amazing they are at tech law!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Thank you so much! And I'll take your advice on board :) Definitely a top firm I have on my list because of how amazing they are at tech law!
    It is a really good firm indeed and the cases and transactions you will work on are so interested and all have to do with tech and/or life sciences in a way!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

UnknownLondon123

Standard Member
    Nov 6, 2023
    They are very used to contacting international companies. As it’s all done via email, it tends to be fairly straight forward.

In instances where references are not provided by the company they may seek other forms of proof from you (eg employment contracts, proof of salary etc).
    Hi Jessica,

I just wanted to ask whether they would want proof of voluntary work that was not by a business but by yourself. For instance, if I tutored students for free. This was on my CV which I submitted to the firm. Is this something they would want proof of? I’m not sure how I would provide such proof? Or are they more interested in places I was employed/that were with an actual organisation?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I just wanted to ask whether they would want proof of voluntary work that was not by a business but by yourself. For instance, if I tutored students for free. This was on my CV which I submitted to the firm. Is this something they would want proof of? I’m not sure how I would provide such proof? Or are they more interested in places I was employed/that were with an actual organisation?
    They may ask for someone else to verify this work. For instance, a customer who was tutored by you, or a personal reference from someone who is in a professional role who would be happy to confirm they knew you did this work. For instance, my godmother once had to verify my work that couldn’t be proved where the recruitment agency went bust. She was a civil servant and so was seen as a reliable person to confirm what I had done work wise.

UnknownLondon123

Standard Member
    Nov 6, 2023
    They may ask for someone else to verify this work. For instance, a customer who was tutored by you, or a personal reference from someone who is in a professional role who would be happy to confirm they knew you did this work. For instance, my godmother once had to verify my work that couldn’t be proved where the recruitment agency went bust. She was a civil servant and so was seen as a reliable person to confirm what I had done work wise.
    Thanks for your reply Jessica. I wouldn’t have a problem with getting someone reliable to confirm this but how would they confirm the duration of my tutoring was what I stated on my CV? Does the agency that carries out the background checks tend to ask such for volunteering reference checks?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks for your reply Jessica. I wouldn’t have a problem with getting someone reliable to confirm this but how would they confirm the duration of my tutoring was what I stated on my CV? Does the agency that carries out the background checks tend to ask such for volunteering reference checks?
    They would expect your personal referee to confirm what you had stated in your application was true.

If you have listed it in your work experience section, the reference check agency is going to ask for some kind of information to verify the entry you have included.

UnknownLondon123

Standard Member
    Nov 6, 2023
    They would expect your personal referee to confirm what you had stated in your application was true.

If you have listed it in your work experience section, the reference check agency is going to ask for some kind of information to verify the entry you have included.
    Okay. Thank you. I wasn’t sure. I haven’t been asked to complete any pre employment checks yet by the firm. But I just wanted to understand the process and whether they ask for references for all my experiences on my CV including my volunteering ones.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Okay. Thank you. I wasn’t sure. I haven’t been asked to complete any pre employment checks yet by the firm. But I just wanted to understand the process and whether they ask for references for all my experiences on my CV including my volunteering ones.
    If it is in a work experience section, then yes they will check. If it is in extra curriculars section, then they won’t.

UnknownLondon123

Standard Member
    Nov 6, 2023
    If it is in a work experience section, then yes they will check. If it is in extra curriculars section, then they won’t.
    That makes sense. Would it be possible if when conducting checks I explained the situation to the person conducting the checks? I realise I probably should have put it under extra curricular rather than other work experiences.

I just want to ensure no issues occur. I do apologise for the constant questions. I really appreciate your guidance.

amrita6399

Valued Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 13, 2023
    Everyone else who got rejected by A&O, did you get the below:

' Although we’re not able to progress further with your application on this occasion, we would like to be able to contact you if any other suitable opportunities come up. If you’re happy to stay connected, please register for an email job alert on our careers website to find out about the latest opportunities as they arise.'

Is it generic or do they still want my details for other roles lol just not a tc
    When did you submit your application according to the portal?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That makes sense. Would it be possible if when conducting checks I explained the situation to the person conducting the checks? I realise I probably should have put it under extra curricular rather than other work experiences.

I just want to ensure no issues occur. I do apologise for the constant questions. I really appreciate your guidance.
    Possibly - but if you have put it in work experience, your application will have been reviewed as such, and therefore the agency is likely going to want to verify it still.

As stressed, there are various ways your volunteering can be verified. It really shouldn’t be a worry. The only people who have to worry about reference checks are those who have presented false information in their application.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.