TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    I think there has deffo been an increase in applicants this year, I’m not sure why though.

At the Mayer Brown AC yesterday, they said they had a ‘record-breaking’ number of applications (didn’t say the actual number), and people have said similar about other firms, so I think it is just more difficult this year
    For Mayer Brown it could be cuz they removed the written element (cover letter) aspect.

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    I just wish firms were more transparent in the kind of candidates they prefer, that would prevent many of us from wasting our time on applications. Or have a system where we sit a test first and if we pass, we then have 10 days or something to write the commercial awareness or firm specific answers. Right now, so many of us waste hours when we have jobs or exams coming up, and instead they could filter out some students or something first before making us waste our time.

What I’ve suggested is one example of how they could split a bit of the recruitment burden more fairly between themselves and students. And it may not be a perfect idea.

However, I would accept them just being more transparent about the statistics of who they hire or if they were more transparent in what exactly they want.

Last edited:

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    I just wish firms were more transparent in the kind of candidates they prefer, that would prevent many of us from wasting our time on applications. Or have a system where we sit a test first and if the pass, we then have 10 days or something to write the commercial awareness or firm specific answers. Right now, so many of us waste hours when we have jobs or exams coming up, and instead they could filter out some students or something first before making us waste our time.

What I’ve suggested is one example of how they could split a bit of the recruitment burden more fairly between themselves and students. And it may not be a perfect idea.

However, I would accept them just being more transparent about the statistics of who they hire or if they were more transparent in what exactly they want.
    i quite literally finish my day paralegalling at a top city firm (working on corporate deals with trainees, associates and partners) to then spend hours writing essay-style applications (and get rejected at app stage *this year only!!) for almost the same job i am doing now. The system is genuinely broken.

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    I think there has deffo been an increase in applicants this year, I’m not sure why though (if anyone has any ideas about why, I’d be interested to know)!

At my Mayer Brown AC, they said they had a ‘record-breaking’ number of applications (didn’t say the actual number), and people have said similar about other firms, so I think it is just more difficult this year
    It's because of money. Money always attracts a lot of competition. It's also the increased awareness of commercial law among career changers, sixth-form students etc. On top of that, international students also apply. So that's even more competition. With other jobs paying you at most 30k per year, commercial law is increasingly looking as a better option to a lot of people (despite the brutal hours)

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    It's because of money. Money always attracts a lot of competition. It's also the increased awareness of commercial law among career changers, sixth-form students etc. On top of that, international students also apply. So that's even more competition. With other jobs paying you at most 30k per year, commercial law is increasingly looking as a better option to a lot of people (despite the brutal hours)
    To add, I also believe people are a bit worried about employability prospects. The SQE has widened access to the profession but that doesn’t necessarily mean that a person is employable in the eyes of a law firm etc. Many are now qualified, may have paralegal experience and are still in search for NQ roles. Having a TC appears to still be the more desired route to qualification for people given the more competitive market to even just land a role as a NQ. Personally know a person who qualified through the SQE without a TC secured and recently secured a new paralegal role despite having 3years of work experience at a top law firm in the city. Being a qualified solicitor working as a paralegal doesn’t sound appealing to someone that has gone through all the years of education

Last edited:

VV

Aug 5, 2023
    I don't have a confirmation either. Nowhere on their website mentioned midday; nor is midday the default time for a deadline. I would be very angry if they decided to push on that.
    I don’t have a confirmation either! I applied at 23.45 on Monday. I also emailed them today asking if my application has been received in good order as I understand that other applicants have received confirmation. But nothing :(

Lola333

Star Member
    Aug 27, 2023
    I think there has deffo been an increase in applicants this year, I’m not sure why though (if anyone has any ideas about why, I’d be interested to know)!

At my Mayer Brown AC, they said they had a ‘record-breaking’ number of applications (didn’t say the actual number), and people have said similar about other firms, so I think it is just more difficult this year
    I'm not sure but it could be because 2021 A-levels were teacher-predicted and inflated due to Covid, meaning there was a bigger university intake and now that cohort is in their third year? Could be a possibility

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.