• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

Hi! I have an interview coming up. I was sent by HR the link to both partners profiles - they are the interviewers. What am I supposed to do with that information and what are some examples of good questions to ask based on the profiles?
@LifeOfG on TikTok made a really useful post on how to do this in 20 minutes, which I've summarised below. Her content is great in general, so she's well worth a follow!

10 mins - Basic Research

1. Read their firm profile: practice area, sector focus, office, seniority, languages and key matters.

2. Google their name plus the firm for anything from the last 1–2 years, such as deals, cases, articles, talks or rankings.

5 mins - Deep Research

1. Pick one matter they've worked on. Know who the client was, what they advised on and why it mattered commercially.

2. Get a feel for what their team actually does, so you don't ask something their profile already answers.

Last 5 mins - Personal Link

1. Check LinkedIn for their training, previous firms and career path.

2. Prepare one genuine question. "What was the most interesting part of [matter]?" rather than "Can you tell me about your practice?"
 
  • 🏆
Reactions: Antoni Trochimowicz
help! eversheds sutherland doesn’t really have any app questions (aside from asking for positions of responsibility), but they have a section asking: ‘Enter other relevant information here. (max 250 words)’… what relevant information is ‘relevant’?! 😓
Hellooo!!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if there isn't a separate box for mitigating circumstances, I think this is where you'd put them.

If there is a separate box, I'd use this space for anything else that adds to your application, such as awards, achievements, or important context about you?
 
  • Love
Reactions: marshmallow
help! eversheds sutherland doesn’t really have any app questions (aside from asking for positions of responsibility), but they have a section asking: ‘Enter other relevant information here. (max 250 words)’… what relevant information is ‘relevant’?! 😓
Hi, I understand that this can be quite confusing, I'm sure you're not the only one who worries about this.

Like Novaa said, this can definitely be used for mitigating circumstances. Otherwise, any particular achievements: competitions, scholarships, awards etc. that may potentially not fit easily in any other part of the application (like the work experience / education section) could be placed here.
 
  • 🤝
Reactions: marshmallow
Hi, I understand that this can be quite confusing, I'm sure you're not the only one who worries about this.

Like Novaa said, this can definitely be used for mitigating circumstances. Otherwise, any particular achievements: competitions, scholarships, awards etc. that may potentially not fit easily in any other part of the application (like the work experience / education section) could be placed here.
okay thank you!
 
  • Love
Reactions: Antoni Trochimowicz

Find member