Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Vicky,

This is the only thing I could find for the Bakers interview:

What scheme did you get the VI for Bakers for? At the open day they said it's all competency questions with one on commercial awareness. I think they said that there are 5 questions.

In terms of general video interview advice:

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    Hi Vicky,

This is the only thing I could find for the Bakers interview:

In terms of general video interview advice:
    Thank you so much, Jaysen! This is great :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Natalie Black

Distinguished Member
    Aug 13, 2018
    Did the interview lastnight, was bloody shocking. Here are some of the question I remember:

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of SQE
    2. Tell us about a time when you had to change the mode of communication
    3. Something about the challenges for lawyers, but more nuanced than that
    4. When did you work in a team to get a more effective result

You get 90 seconds, and as you're encouraged to look at the camera and not the screen you don't realise time slipping away from you.

• 🏆
    Reactions: 191919191 and HenryGirton

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Did the interview lastnight, was bloody shocking. Here are some of the question I remember:

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of SQE
    2. Tell us about a time when you had to change the mode of communication
    3. Something about the challenges for lawyers, but more nuanced than that
    4. When did you work in a team to get a more effective result

You get 90 seconds, and as you're encouraged to look at the camera and not the screen you don't realise time slipping away from you.

Wow - I would never have expected that first question!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    Hi everyone! I had my video interview with Baker McKenzie today and I thought I would post the questions I encountered in this thread for anyone who has it in this cycle. I don't remember them word for word, but this is basically the essence of it-

1) Tell us about a setback you've had and how you came out of it
    2) Tell us about a time when your team member was not doing their task and how you addressed this
    3) What do you think keeps CEOs up at night?
    4) How do you prioritize different tasks and schedule them?
    5) Tell us an interesting fact about yourself (a hobby, an interest etc.)

You have 45 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to answer, except for the last question in the interview, for which you get 60 seconds.

You also get to practice a question as many times as you want before you begin the interview, which I think is incredibly useful.

thank you so much for this!! do you know if you can take a break between the last question and seeing the new one?

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    Hi everyone! I had my video interview with Baker McKenzie today and I thought I would post the questions I encountered in this thread for anyone who has it in this cycle. I don't remember them word for word, but this is basically the essence of it-

1) Tell us about a setback you've had and how you came out of it
    2) Tell us about a time when your team member was not doing their task and how you addressed this
    3) What do you think keeps CEOs up at night?
    4) How do you prioritize different tasks and schedule them?
    5) Tell us an interesting fact about yourself (a hobby, an interest etc.)

You have 45 seconds to prepare and 90 seconds to answer, except for the last question in the interview, for which you get 60 seconds.

You also get to practice a question as many times as you want before you begin the interview, which I think is incredibly useful.
    Have you heard back yet? I'm still waiting

LillyI1

M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 13, 2021
    Hello, this thread has been super helpful, so I thought I'll share my Baker McKenzie Video Interview questions (not verbatim) for future reference in case it helps anyone :)

1. When has the tenacity of your resilience paid off and what was the result?
    2. Tell us about a time you worked in a team that did not get along. What was your role/ how did you handle it?
    3. Tell us about a time you made an error and how did you fix it?
    4. Which organisation/sector do you believe is thriving due to the various COVID impacts and why?
    5. Tell us about a deal or specific practice area which attracted you to the firm.

[45 seconds to prepare/ 90seconds to answer]

Reactions: rollss

s.k.o

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2019
    Hello, this thread has been super helpful, so I thought I'll share my Baker McKenzie Video Interview questions (not verbatim) for future reference in case it helps anyone :)

1. When has the tenacity of your resilience paid off and what was the result?
    2. Tell us about a time you worked in a team that did not get along. What was your role/ how did you handle it?
    3. Tell us about a time you made an error and how did you fix it?
    4. Which organisation/sector do you believe is thriving due to the various COVID impacts and why?
    5. Tell us about a deal or specific practice area which attracted you to the firm.

[45 seconds to prepare/ 90seconds to answer]
    Had similar questions for my VI recently

Kerenkh

Nov 26, 2022
    Hi guys,
    thanks so much for this super helpful thread!
    I have just received the VI invite for Baker McKenzie, and I was wondering if anyone who did it more recently could offer any advice?
    Thank you!

isTeapp

Star Member
    Feb 21, 2024
    Hi guys,
    thanks so much for this super helpful thread!
    I have just received the VI invite for Baker McKenzie, and I was wondering if anyone who did it more recently could offer any advice?
    Thank you!
    Hey, not sure if you have completed the video interview yet, but hope it went well. I’m in the same boat, did you manage to figure out what the questions were?

futureTS03

Mar 18, 2024
    Hello,
    I recently received an invitation for the VI at Baker McKenzie, and the information on this thread has been really helpful so far. As I prepare for this next step, I would greatly appreciate any recent advice or tips that members who have gone through this process in this cycle? If anyone know what sort of questions that I can anticipate, it would be helpful.
    Thanks!

Reactions: tomofsiobhans

Aks.Khurana

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 13, 2023
    Hello,
    I recently received an invitation for the VI at Baker McKenzie, and the information on this thread has been really helpful so far. As I prepare for this next step, I would greatly appreciate any recent advice or tips that members who have gone through this process in this cycle? If anyone know what sort of questions that I can anticipate, it would be helpful.
    Thanks!
    Hey!

I've had a TC from Bakers and went through the process last year. Due to confidentiality, I can't share the specific questions. However, Baker McKenzie mainly focuses on questions about equality and diversity. So, you can expect some competency questions about how you've demonstrated this commitment or your views on the subject. Bakers are also quite business-centric in their recruitment and may ask you questions about things like the priorities of businesses and what makes them successful. Be ready for questions that aren't strictly law-related!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.