2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxdart

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
They actually have a YouTube video explaining their reasoning behind it:

I completely sympathise with those who are disappointed about this, and I am concerned about firms taking the political correctness/positive discrimination stance. (I understand their year 11 are aimed at state school students, and to be fair giving AC's to candidates they know from first year schemes is understandable.)

Regardless of your opinion about this however, recruitment is a two way process and if you don't agree with their policy, then you probably aren't missing out much by not working for them.
Hope we all get to work at a firm that value us :)
I’m sorry but this is a silly response. You’re saying firms should be allowed to, say, exclude BAME applicants and the only repurchasing they face is BAME applicants avoid them? Discrimination laws are there for a reason and CC seems to be clearly discriminating based on age through its policies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Focus on the similarities between S&M and those other firms you've applied to and what attracted you to those features. So think about things like similar practice area strengths, industry strengths, geographical presence, and clients. I would then follow up those things with why you think S&M still comes out ahead of those other firms and why they are still your top choice. The interviewers just want to see that you've really thought about the kind of work you want to be doing and that those motivations are consistent across your applications. If I'm being honest though, I was always very selective when choosing to include which other firms I applied to and only mentioned the firms I knew did similar work and were comparable. Made answering the question a lot easier on myself.
    Hi,

I cover this in my latest article which may help you out:

Reactions: Cardiff law grad

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I’m sorry but this is a silly response. You’re saying firms should be allowed to, say, exclude BAME applicants and the only repurchasing they face is BAME applicants avoid them? Discrimination laws are there for a reason and CC seems to be clearly discriminating based on age through its policies.
    Probably would be indirect discrimination under the Equality Act, but unlikely that anyone would pursue it or win. Would depend on how well CC justifies it and how many "older" applicants are actually blocked out. Its not like you can't be 35 and a 2nd year student.

Oxdart

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Definitely not age discrimination unfortunately....
    Why is that Jessica? Genuinely curious...by funneling people at an earlier stage, in an industry where other firms accept older applicants, they are doing that? Like it’s not saying age is the factor but if a protected characteristic like age is affected by the policy, doesn’t that apply?

I would not consider working at CC because the policy is silly in terms of sourcing talent but putting that aside it just feels wrong that you’re excluding people in a way that the effect is agism..

Reactions: cmaj

AY

Mar 2, 2020
    For 'education history' on applications, does 'resitting exams' mean only if you failed the exam first time? e.g. I have repeated a few GCSE modules purely because I wanted a higher grade. How are people interpreting this?? Many thanks

Cardiff law grad

Star Member
    Aug 5, 2020

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone, I have an AC at BCLP coming up and I was wondering if anyone knows what a "mark-up exercise" involves? Thanks in advance!

Answered a similar question a few weeks ago!

Exactly as you said. Mark up exercises involve spotting inconsistencies, grammatical errors, punctuation errors, spelling mistakes and even mistakes in document formatting (wrong numbering, inconsistent bullet point styles etc.) Especially for spotting inconsistencies in the actual contents, being able to actually understand the document is pretty important. I don't know what kind of document you'll be given but to prepare for mine I looked through basic contract examples online just so I could familiarise myself with their general layout. Other than that there's not much you can do to prepare actually, my best advice is to work through the document systematically and not worry too much if you run out of time (my mark up exercise at a firm was really time pressured). Focus on spotting as many mistakes as you can on the pages you do get through rather than blindly trying to get to the end of the document.

Reactions: lwsand

MzM

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2019
    the deadline-day battle with CvMail begins. First crash of the day *sigh*

Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy

Cardiff law grad

Star Member
    Aug 5, 2020
    Got my Slaughter and May interview soon, does anyone have any tips on how to explain why I've applied to other firms when I'm asked? I've applied to all MC and a few top US firms
    I mean practice areas, cohort size, sectors, prestige, internationalism are all good places to start :) Will be honest its clear you want a certain type of firm so I wouldn't worry too much about it :) Hope that helps - and good luck

• 🏆
    Reactions: SF1234
    D

Deleted member 8227

Does anyone know if when a firm says they have a written exercise in the interview it could be something more complex like an M&A case study? The email just stresses it's about time management.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does anyone know if when a firm says they have a written exercise in the interview it could be something more complex like an M&A case study? The email just stresses it's about time management.

Written exercises almost always involve assessing a candidates commercial awareness on things like M&A. Although I think there are quite a few law firms that now use different kinds of transactions and even litigation fictional scenarios. Would really recommend looking through Jacob's guide. Just curious, does the email mention a case study separate to the written exercise?

D

Deleted member 8227

Written exercises almost always involve assessing a candidates commercial awareness on things like M&A. Although I think there are quite a few law firms that now use different kinds of transactions and even litigation fictional scenarios. Would really recommend looking through Jacob's guide. Just curious, does the email mention a case study separate to the written exercise?

Great thanks I'll be sure to check that out. And no all it says is there will be a timed written task to assess my time management skills, working under pressure, prioritising my workload and written communication. It's for Weil if anyone has any insight into this, especially virtually!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.