AC written exercises

HannahW1992

M&A Bootcamp
Oct 1, 2020
Hi!

Does anyone have any tips for written exercises at ACs? I can find plenty of advice on case studies, but none on writing reports/memos etc.

I had an AC yesterday and I really do think I messed up on the written task.

Any advice would be much appreciated šŸ˜

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi!

Does anyone have any tips for written exercises at ACs? I can find plenty of advice on case studies, but none on writing reports/memos etc.

I had an AC yesterday and I really do think I messed up on the written task.

Any advice would be much appreciated šŸ˜
    Hi,

Below is an extract from my article on case studies, but it is applicable to all forms of written assessment. Hope this helps as a starting point!

Structuring your response for a written assessment
    Although preparing a letter for a client, or emailing a partner, might seem starkly different to preparing for an interview, much of the same logic and approach apply.

First of all, it is still vital to pitch your writing to the appropriate audience. If anything, it is even more important that, if writing for a client, you write in plain, accessible language and avoid all legal jargon. The reason for this is that, in an interview, a ā€˜clientā€™ could always stop you to ask for clarification of a point where you have used inaccessible language; this is impossible with a letter.

Secondly, and this goes for all legal drafting irrespective of the intended audience, be as concise and straight-to-the-point as possible. Lawyers and high-flying clients are exceptionally busy people and, as such, they donā€™t have time to read a long-winded introductory paragraph full of niceties and waffle. You almost certainly donā€™t have time to write it, either. Get straight to the issues you need to mention! I would typically include an Executive Summary at the start of my written exercise with 1 ā€“ 2 sentence bullet point summaries of each key issue and solution/next steps before more fully exploring each of the issues thereunder. This shows a good understanding of the needs of those who are likely to read the letter, for example, they might only have time to scan over key points walking between meetings and need a very brief outline of key points. It also shows good drafting skills. Similarly to an oral presentation, try and include some of the thought process/logic thatā€™s gone into each conclusion ā€“ make sure to save this for the main paragraphs rather than the Executive Summary though!

Another key point to consider here, following on from the issue of pitching to the correct audience in your style of writing, is also to pitch your tone of writing correctly. If, for example, you are drafting an internal email to be sent to a partner, this may be slightly less formal in tone than a letter going to a client. Similarly, if the case study is based on, say, advising a client on a litigious matter, this is likely to be even more formal in tone and approach than advising them on a deal. Use all these different points to show your understanding of client needs and drafting skills.

Finally, and possibly the most important part of a written assessment, leave time to proofread! The last thing you want is a great response marred by a couple of silly grammatical or typographical errors.

Reactions: Matt_96 and Holly

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.