2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    So I am writing this personal statement for a firm, and I have done various volunteering over the years from high school (which I wouldn't normally include but it is more to show this is a long standing passion of mine) to the present day for different charities. Do I need to specify how much was raised for each charity? Because I'm not sure I can remember 😂 I barely remember what I did yesterday! 🤣

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So I am writing this personal statement for a firm, and I have done various volunteering over the years from high school (which I wouldn't normally include but it is more to show this is a long standing passion of mine) to the present day for different charities. Do I need to specify how much was raised for each charity? Because I'm not sure I can remember 😂 I barely remember what I did yesterday! 🤣
    Not necessary to provide this detail for each charity. But for instance, you might want to highlight the ones you raised the most money for (an approximation is fine) or the charity fundraising you are most proud of (and explain why, rather than focusing on how much you raised). Specific detail is important - it’s what will make your application form more unique than everyone else who also mentions volunteering on their application. But it doesn’t always have to be the outcome (eg money raised) that makes your individual experiences impressive.

Reactions: Jacob Miller and glaw23

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    Not necessary to provide this detail for each charity. But for instance, you might want to highlight the ones you raised the most money for (an approximation is fine) or the charity fundraising you are most proud of (and explain why, rather than focusing on how much you raised). Specific detail is important - it’s what will make your application form more unique than everyone else who also mentions volunteering on their application. But it doesn’t always have to be the outcome (eg money raised) that makes your individual experiences impressive.

The one I raised the most with and I am most proud of is the one during highschool. I am 23 now so I wasn't really wanting to use it for anything more than showing it is something I have enjoyed doing for a long time. Is it still okay to use this one as a specific example? My other one I am especially proud of is that I am a Mind Mental Health Campaigner but I haven't managed to do a whole lot for that as of late due to COVID (I'd normally do bake sales etc which aren't viable right now), so I haven't got as much to write about.

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Further to the lovely end-of-week PFO from Howard Kennedy, I'd like to know a bit more about what is required to succeed during a VI.

In the 4 I've done so far, I passed 1 and failed 3. I'm not sure what I did wrong during the ones I failed and unfortunately, no feedback was provided. Maybe @Jessica Booker you would have an idea as to what they are after? Thanks

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Further to the lovely end-of-week PFO from Howard Kennedy, I'd like to know a bit more about what is required to succeed during a VI.

In the 4 I've done so far, I passed 1 and failed 3. I'm not sure what I did wrong during the ones I failed and unfortunately, no feedback was provided. Maybe @Jessica Booker you would have an idea as to what they are after? Thanks
    I don't know if you'll already be familiar with it, but this thread is a great resource for looking at VI's and may help you do a retrospective critique.

I would suggest not to be too discouraged, though - VI's are one of the most brutal filtering stages in my experience, and generally have a rather low success rate given the way they're used with most firms. To that end, the fact that you've had a successful conversion would indicate that you're not miles away from where you need to be.

• 🤝
    Reactions: FC and Sonia_Kawaii

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    I don't know if you'll already be familiar with it, but this thread is a great resource for looking at VI's and may help you do a retrospective critique.

I would suggest not to be too discouraged, though - VI's are one of the most brutal filtering stages in my experience, and generally have a rather low success rate given the way they're used with most firms. To that end, the fact that you've had a successful conversion would indicate that you're not miles away from where you need to be.
    Thank you Jacob, I wasn't familiar with the thread but will definitely look at it now!

What is really discouraging is the lack of feedback if I'm honest - but thank you for the encouragements :)

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021

I really want to know too! I find VI’s extremely unnatural and for some reason they throw me off even if the questions are easy. Not sure how to do well 😭

• 🤝
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad, karinny and MLF

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I've thankfully never had to do a video interview for a VS/ TC, but yes I generally agree that talking to a camera with nobody on the other side is quite an unnatural, unnerving experience where it's hard to really present the best version of yourself! They make you realise just how much we rely on reciprocity of things like tonality and body language in these contexts.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The one I raised the most with and I am most proud of is the one during highschool. I am 23 now so I wasn't really wanting to use it for anything more than showing it is something I have enjoyed doing for a long time. Is it still okay to use this one as a specific example? My other one I am especially proud of is that I am a Mind Mental Health Campaigner but I haven't managed to do a whole lot for that as of late due to COVID (I'd normally do bake sales etc which aren't viable right now), so I haven't got as much to write about.
    That is fine - lots of law firms like evidence of you sticking to things. We used to call it "stickability" at Freshfields.

I wouldn't worry about it being an older example as long as you have other more modern evidence elsewhere.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    hello!! was wondering if anyone has heard back from the following firms? I don't really know what kind of timeframe I'm meant to expect?

27 Mar - RPC Hong Kong VS app received [automail], but heard back from London TC app online assessment invite yesterday
    24 May - PM App received & under review,
    3 Jun - BCLP App under review after online test

I don't know if it's appropriate to send another gentle reminder... thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.