TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawgal101

Esteemed Member
Feb 12, 2021
I agree. Also, if you choose to mention someone you've met at a networking event/open day, it would be good to explain why that interaction was interesting

I don’t think so, I personally wouldn’t. I see this questions as another way of saying “why x firm?” it’s just a different way of phrasing the question which allows the candidate to be very specific about their reasons for applying to L&W.

Open to hearing what others think though.
Thank you! Perfect, that is exactly what I thought too.

Upon writing my first draft, I just started to overthink a little.

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Hi everyone - As I completed my Linklaters online test close to the deadline, I have 5 days starting yesterday to complete my Watson Glaser test. This means that I can go beyond the application deadline (14th oct), right?
When you do the WG test on the application page, it will give you a final deadline of when you need to have submitted everything by - hope that helps!

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Clyde video interview here too - is it automatic or do they filter first?
    Same here, I think its automatic, but the email with 'congratulations' does sound misleading. The website and email indicate that the application is not reviewed until after the VI, where they are both viewed together. Please correct me if i am wrong though, it is quite confusing!

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    For the Clyde & Co assessment I think this email is the Cappfinity assessment rather than the video interview? Slightly confused as there's no mention of this assessment on the website when they talk about the application process?

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    For such question:
    Why would you choose to train at Latham & Watkins over another firm? (300 words)

Do you think they want me to name drop another firm?
    Hey, future trainee at Latham here :)

I personally didn’t. From what I gather, this question is combining ‘why this firm’ and ‘what makes Latham different from other firms’. I’m sure you wouldn’t be penalised if you did mention other firm but I really don’t think it’s necessary.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Yes please, that would be great! Do you also know the questions for HSF (summer scheme)?
    Stephenson Harwood:

1. Tell us about a time you have exceeded expectations in your work and/or study. (250)
    • What challenges did you experience?
    • How did you respond to those challenges?
    • What was the outcome?
    2. Tell us about responsibilities you have taken on outside of work and/or study. (250)
    • Outline your personal achievements
    • What motivated you to achieve this?
    • How have you worked effectively with others?
    3. Describe how you came to the decision to apply to Stephenson Harwood. (250)
    • What sources did you use to research the firm?
    • What is it about our work that appeals to you?
    • What do you think the firm can offer you?
    4. Are there any other particular matters which you wish to mention? (250)
    • Are there any reasonable adjustments that you would like the firm to make during the selection process?
    • If you are changing careers, you may wish to tell us about your decision?
    • If you have taken a gap year, you may wish to tell us about what you did?
    • Do you have any additional information that you have not included elsewhere in the form that the interviewer should be aware of?
    HSF (I applied for Winter but I assume they are the same):

1. Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you. (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests) (Up to 300 words)

2. Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills? (Up to 300 words)

3. What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role? (Up to 300 words)

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    VI invite for Clyde & Co, they gave a deadline of 3 days!
    My email says:

When you are ready, please visit the link below to complete the assessment. You will have 36 hours (3 days) to complete this assessment, from the receipt of this email.

So, is it 36 hours or 3 days???

• Haha
    Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.