TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    My email says:

When you are ready, please visit the link below to complete the assessment. You will have 36 hours (3 days) to complete this assessment, from the receipt of this email.

So, is it 36 hours or 3 days???
    Embarrassed to say I looked at that and saw no issue with it until I remembered 24 hours was 1 day hahaha, I would like to think whoever wrote that had the same brain fart as me

• Haha
    Reactions: Veep9

MillyWills

Jun 15, 2021
    Apparently, they recruit on a rolling basis so I assume if they were to invite me for the AC they would have done it by now. Hence the question :)
    Yes, but you applied at the end of September which is not that long ago. To be fair, there was someone else on here who also applied at the end of September and received a PFO about a week after. However since you haven’t received one, I would say no news is no news at this point 🙂

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    Yes, but you applied at the end of September which is not that long ago. To be fair, there was someone else on here who also applied at the end of September and received a PFO about a week after. However since you haven’t received one, I would say no news is no news at this point 🙂
    Just to add to this - I feel like many people on here are jumping to conclusions regarding PFOs. As @Jessica Booker has said before, it's not a PFO until it's a PFO!

I know it's been a bit inconsistent re rolling / non-rolling though. Asked grad rec about ACs last week when chasing up my SJT result and they said they'll be holding ACs for Winter throughout October and November!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Curious for people's thoughts on Sidley - is it alright in the 'why Sidley' bit to lean heavily into their PE practice? It's something they highlight quite a bit but isn't one of their ranked practices so not quite their bread and butter (yet, at least); I'm wary of seeming disinterested or cavalier about their other areas (I'm not) but based on my prior experience PE is the area in which I can most credibly substantiate my interest. Only have about 125 words for that part of the application, so I'd have to sacrifice depth to cast a broader net.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Do you think it is better if I attach these documents for Gowling's app?
    You can use this section to upload any documents that you feel are relevant to your application (e.g. references, transcripts, etc.). Please note this is not mandatory.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Do you think it is better if I attach these documents for Gowling's app?
    You can use this section to upload any documents that you feel are relevant to your application (e.g. references, transcripts, etc.). Please note this is not mandatory.
    I did not do this in 2020 and was put through to the next round.

Reactions: OB and GXA123

dangelataher

Oct 5, 2021
    Can I ask what people think firms opinions are on mitigating circumstances? I have two external circumstances which affected my first two years at uni (which did not count) but I am not sure I want to disclose them as I feel that firms will see them as an excuse/me seeking pity/sympathy. Among friends, they say it comes across as being weak.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can I ask what people think firms opinions are on mitigating circumstances? I have two external circumstances which affected my first two years at uni (which did not count) but I am not sure I want to disclose them as I feel that firms will see them as an excuse/me seeking pity/sympathy. Among friends, they say it comes across as being weak.
    It ultimately depends on:

1) the firm you are applying to
    2) the extenuating circumstances
    3) how you have developed/moved on from them

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.