TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    It’s an outright PFO unfortunately, just an exceptionally apologetic one. It seems to suggest you can apply for a summer scheme - although the “next year” suggests you could only apply in 2022 (not sure when applications open/close).
    I have emailed GR and they confirmed that we are eligible to apply for the summer vacation scheme in 2022 (deadline 17 January 2022). Hope this helps.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For Weil vacation scheme application on the question why Weil is it okay to talk about pro bono work as they do count pro bono work as billable work. I know it is good not to talk about pro bono work in the why this firm question as it is not billable work for most firms.

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    For Weil vacation scheme application on the question why Weil is it okay to talk about pro bono work as they do count pro bono work as billable work. I know it is good not to talk about pro bono work in the why this firm question as it is not billable work for most firms.
    Hi Asil,

Good question. The way I see it is that pro bono is the icing on the cake when it comes to conveying your motivations for applying to the firm. The large bulk of your answer should focus on the work that you’re going to be doing. Although pro bono will consist of some of your billable hours like you say, it won’t be what you will be doing for the majority of your time. Mention it by all means but it shouldn’t take up the majority of your answer.

Happy for others to provide their input, of course! :)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi Asil,

Good question. The way I see it is that pro bono is the icing on the cake when it comes to conveying your motivations for applying to the firm. The large bulk of your answer should focus on the work that you’re going to be doing. Although pro bono will consist of some of your billable hours like you say, it won’t be what you will be doing for the majority of your time. Mention it by all means but it shouldn’t take up the majority of your answer.

Thank you very much for this it is really helpful and I agree with you it is not majority of lawyer work.

Reactions: Nicole15

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I wouldn’t make it your main point, but a supplementary point to include.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hi Asil,

I agree with the above, and would just add that to the extent that you *do* talk about pro bono, frame it with some specificity - ex. 'I like [X] initiative and the opportunity to make [Y] impact because of [Z] reason.' I would also be careful about the framing of any mention of pro bono counting towards targets - it is ultimately something the lawyers do on top of their fee-earning work.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Has anyone had any experience with NRF applying to a scheme and then if unsuccessful applying to the direct TC? Last year I managed to apply to both winter and spring vs without any problems (got a lot further in the spring vs) therefore I am thinking it’s possible

miniboucher

Standard Member
    Nov 15, 2021
    From their website-

Particular areas of strength include:
    • Commercial litigation
    • Corporate
    • Employment, pensions and private wealth
    • Finance
    • Marine and international trade
    • Real estate and projects
    Shipping is just *one* of their areas of strength, and one of their many areas of sector expertise. I think you should be just fine talking about the areas that genuinely interest you while being generally aware of their work in sectors of strength 😊
    thank you @AvniD this is so reassuring

Reactions: jfkt1205
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.