TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
hi everyone! i just completed the OC verbal reasoning test where i had 19 minutes for 30 questions. i did not manage to answer the last 3 questions as i ran out of time. do you think this will have a big impact or will a lot of people also have the same problem as i had since the time was so limited?
Hi @eellla1,

Welcome to the forum! It is always great to interact with new users. Be proud of completing this test by the way. They are stressful and difficult, so be proud of yourself for doing it in the first place. You will be a better candidate for your next application as a result.

It is honestly difficult to say. Unfortunately, it is possible that this will have an impact. 3/30 questions is 10%, so if it is the sort of test you are expected to complete, you might be penalised here.

Alternatively, there are definitely tests which are designed to be difficult if not impossible to complete. Without seeing/knowing the test, this will be difficult to say which it is. I am sorry not to be more helpful. However, there are a few things you can now control (as that test is done and, as best you can, try to forget about it!).

Going forward, I would suggest using this as a developmental experience.

A few ways to think positively about this so you can improve for next time:

1. Think ahead of doing the test (if you know) about the amount of time you have for each question and stick to it. Sometimes it is helpful to take 30 seconds to do this at the start of the test to plan your approach.

2. Unless you are penalised for giving an incorrect answer, attempt every question (even if it is a complete guess!). Take a multiple choice test with 5 answers, guessing gives you a 20% chance of being right- rather than zero.

Try not to stress too much if you can. There will be other applications you can excel at. Besides, as I said, it may well have been a test which is designed to push you on time, so you may have nothing to worry about!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Just got an offer of a TC from a firm I did a WVS with - very unexpected but a lovely surprise! It's my second cycle after virtual VS' last year - keep going everyone :)
Wow, what an outstanding achievement! Congratulations on your training contract offer @Anya B and it is excellent to see that you stayed resilient and stuck with the process 😍

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi everyone! i just completed the OC verbal reasoning test where i had 19 minutes for 30 questions. i did not manage to answer the last 3 questions as i ran out of time. do you think this will have a big impact or will a lot of people also have the same problem as i had since the time was so limited?
The test will have been designed purposely to be tight on time and it is likely a reasonable proportion of people will either not complete all the questions or may have rushed to complete all the questions. This is quite normal for these types of tests, and I don't think it is necessarily an issue.

Obviously, where possible, it is better to complete the questions, but considering you can get negative scores for questions being wrong, it may be the case with this assessment that answering the questions in a more considered way and missing a couple could be better than just rushing the questions just to get to the end of the assessment.

Unfortunately, it is really difficult to know exactly how much impact it could have though, as it can be the case that certain questions are weighted more heavily than others too, and therefore it would be difficult to know whether the questions you missed are weighted more/less favourably than others (or if at all).

• ℹ️
Reactions: James Carrabino

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Just recieved a video interview invite for Willkie. Honestly didn’t think I’d pass their applications lol
Congratulations!!! I am looking forward to seeing these coming in now that the application window has closed! @George Maxwell and I both have experience with them so feel free to reach out with any questions you may have and we will answer as best we can without compromising the integrity of the process :)

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
Just wanted to ask, if I want to keep up with deals to do with the law firm i am doing an AC with next month, what would you say are the most important things for me to log and potentially talk about in the interview? I thought probably the facts and then knowing what teams would be involved in the deal and what they might do?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just wanted to ask, if I want to keep up with deals to do with the law firm i am doing an AC with next month, what would you say are the most important things for me to log and potentially talk about in the interview? I thought probably the facts and then knowing what teams would be involved in the deal and what they might do?
The facts are ok - but the firm will really want you to understand why these things have happened in the way they have and for you to form an opinion on the matter too. So instead of just learning facts, base your preparations on analysing the detail rather than remembering the detail.

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
The facts are ok - but the firm will really want you to understand why these things have happened in the way they have and for you to form an opinion on the matter too. So instead of just learning facts, base your preparations on analysing the detail rather than remembering the detail.
Will do, thank you!

violeta

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
Can anyone share the structure of the Reed Smith VI please? I know it's strengths-based but does anyone know how much time you have to speak/prepare and if you can re-record answers?

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Congratulations!!! I am looking forward to seeing these coming in now that the application window has closed! @George Maxwell and I both have experience with them so feel free to reach out with any questions you may have and we will answer as best we can without compromising the integrity of the process :)
    Thank you!
    Did you apply yesterday or days ago.
    I applied on 8th December

User274302

Star Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    You mean for Spring as summer applications are still open.
    No this one was for Summer. I am not a final year student/graduate so not eligible for Spring, only Summer. They recruit on a rolling basis so it is likely that many will hear before or after others.
    Hey! If you dont mind, might I ask how long after the app were you progressed to the WG stage? Also, is WG sent after apps are reviewed?
    And yes no worries. I submitted my app in mid October, and was sent the WG in early December. The apps are reviewed before a WG is sent out. I hope that helps!

• 🤝
    Reactions: vacschemeapss
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.