TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
Hi everyone! I have an interview with Sullcrom tomorrow and I’m dizzy with nerves because
A) I’ve noticed that I made a technical mistake on my cover letter lol
B) Sullcrom are really picky about grades and I’m racking my brains on how to explain a bad grade I got, without sounding like I’m just making excuses (I’m surprised I even got an interview considering how average my grades are)

If anyone has any tips or techniques on how to basically calm tf down and keep cool during the interview, it would be much appreciated. Also any general CV-based interview tips and experiences with Sullcrom are definitely welcome too 😉

Reactions: Sfernan21

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
I've done a bit of reading on this, and as far as I can understand, it's being referred to as a joint venture because a new entity is being created which will contain Ennismore's lifestyle hotel/restaurant brands and Accor's lifestyle hotel brands. So it's not technically a merger between Ennismore and Accor in the classic sense - they jointly own (Accor owns 66.67% and Ennismore 33.33%) the new venture and will jointly operate their lifestyle brand hotels. The idea is to make the most of Ennismore's creative approach combined with Accor's scale. The links below helped me to understand:

Again awesome post @Kubed thanks for clarifying this!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and Kubed

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
I have the final stage for SH tomorrow (1.5hr written case study task). Does anyone have any advice?? Presume it will be a business scenario or advising a client. Will analyse the information using SWOT, PESTLE and Porter's Five Forces and I will aim to be logical and coherent in my written presentation. Is there anything beyond that? Cheers!
Hi @Sfernan21,

My biggest piece of advice would be, as part of your efforts to be clear and logical, use sub-headings. Too many can be detrimental/annoying. However, appropriate use of sub-headings can transform an average answer to a stand-out answer!

Very best of luck with it! Please let me know how it goes. We are rooting for you 🚀

• 🏆

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi everyone! I have an interview with Sullcrom tomorrow and I’m dizzy with nerves because
    A) I’ve noticed that I made a technical mistake on my cover letter lol
    B) Sullcrom are really picky about grades and I’m racking my brains on how to explain a bad grade I got, without sounding like I’m just making excuses (I’m surprised I even got an interview considering how average my grades are)

If anyone has any tips or techniques on how to basically calm tf down and keep cool during the interview, it would be much appreciated. Also any general CV-based interview tips and experiences with Sullcrom are definitely welcome too 😉
    By no means an expert but this would be my approach:

A) If it comes up address it and just explain it was a technical mistake. Don't overthink it.
    B) A bad grade is just a bad grade. An exam is a snapshot of how much information you could regurgitate at a particular moment in time. Some days that goes well, other days less so. Don't make excuses but just own that you had a hard time on a particular assignment or exam - then segue into how you overcame that moving forward. Really wouldn't dwell on it much more than that.

You've already been invited for interview - that means they're willing to overlook your bad grade. They won't get hung up on it if you don't.

• Love
    Reactions: George Maxwell and OB

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    By no means an expert but this would be my approach:

A) If it comes up address it and just explain it was a technical mistake. Don't overthink it.
    B) A bad grade is just a bad grade. An exam is a snapshot of how much information you could regurgitate at a particular moment in time. Some days that goes well, other days less so. Don't make excuses but just own that you had a hard time on a particular assignment or exam - then segue into how you overcame that moving forward. Really wouldn't dwell on it much more than that.

You've already been invited for interview - that means they're willing to overlook your bad grade. They won't get hung up on it if you don't.
    Thank you so much! I’m really overthinking this way too much. I’ll definitely keep your advice in mind tomorrow 👍

Reactions: TC fiend

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Has anyone else who has a HSF AC tomorrow not received their link for the platform that they’ll be using? I’m getting kinda nervous now 😂
    Hi @esther21,

Congratulations for being invited to interview!

If I remember correctly, this happened to me. I waited until it was the evening (6/7ish) and then emailed. Sorry to hear this though, I empathise as it definitely raised my stress levels at the time 😣

Wishing you all the best for the interview too.

Incidentally, this post might be helpful (just as some last minute advice!)

Reactions: esther18

Sfernan21

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 26, 2021
    Hi @Sfernan21,

My biggest piece of advice would be, as part of your efforts to be clear and logical, use sub-headings. Too many can be detrimental/annoying. However, appropriate use of sub-headings can transform an average answer to a stand-out answer!

Very best of luck with it! Please let me know how it goes. We are rooting for you 🚀
    Hi George, thanks for this. I think it went well. I used sub-headings, included the key information (I think) and thought of a few 'out of the box ideas'.

I will let you know when I hear, seriously nervous waiting for my phone to ring.

All the best, hope you're exams went well!

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi George, thanks for this. I think it went well. I used sub-headings, included the key information (I think) and thought of a few 'out of the box ideas'.

I will let you know when I hear, seriously nervous waiting for my phone to ring.

All the best, hope you're exams went well!
    Hi @Sfernan21,

I am so sorry not to have got to your post in time! Not intentional at all. I am really happy to hear that it went well though!

Keep me in the loop when you hear 🚀

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    Does anyone know if your supposed to get a schedule before the CMS interview? I received a teams invite so I am set up on there but I havent been told how the day is structured?

Plato

Dec 17, 2021
    Fair point - will make a point of clarifying this when using made-up terms in future. I'll take this opportunity to also mention that it's best not to use the term 'magic circle' when interviewing at a magic circle firm, they don't particularly like it.
    then imagine throwing around the word 'silver circle' when interviewing with a silver circle law firm XD

• Haha
    Reactions: Rob93

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Does anyone know if your supposed to get a schedule before the CMS interview? I received a teams invite so I am set up on there but I havent been told how the day is structured?
    I did last year but haven't got a schedule this year :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.