TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm suddenly seeing so many people talking about their slaughter interviews. Mine is in Feb and when I went on the booking system, slots were only available as from end of January. Am I missing something here or is slaughters interviewing a lot of people?
They have a lot of people to recruit, so it isn’t surprising to me that it’s taking some time to get though them all.

Reactions: thelovelygiraffe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think Jessica is best placed to help with this but I have found some links online that may be of use to you- linking them here and here. Wishing you all the best- please do let me know how you get on! 🤞
For these visas, the firm will need a specific licence. As the firm have said they can’t sponsor you, it may be the case they do not have this licence. However, it might be the case they do and are just unwilling to cover the costs of the visa for such a short scheme (the costs will be higher than the costs of employing).

The youth mobility visa is most likely to be your best bet if you can secure this visa your home countries ballot system and can obviously cover the costs/financial commitments.

You could speak to the firm as to whether there are any additional costs they can cover, as once you include the visas, flights and accommodation in London, this is potentially not going to be a cheap few weeks even if you are paid.

• ℹ️
Reactions: AvniD and Rob93

Limanehious

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
Good Morning Everyone, @Jessica Booker

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to answer the following two questions when you already work at the firm? It is my dream firm, working as a paralegal here is everything I wanted and more, but not sure how to convey that in less than 150 words! I already do fee earning work, do I bring that up, or focus more on the culture/ethos of the firm? Thanks!!

Question 1: Why do you want to pursue a career as a solicitor and what qualities do you think you possess to be a successful lawyer at Birketts LLP? (150 words)

Question 2: When selecting firms to apply to, what criteria did you use and why do you believe that Birketts LLP satisfies those criteria? (150 words)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker - if CMS hire on a first come first serve basis, will I be significantly disadvantaged doing a later AC? I have an option to do an earlier AC but it’s the day after another AC and I won’t have time to prepare 😭
A lot of people have been asking this at the moment and the short answer is no.

1) Firms tend to be pretty good at predicting conversion rates at interview and also will factor in declines, no-shows etc

2) Firms have some flexibility with hiring numbers, especially knowing they are bound to get a renege or two later down the line. For instance, I used to say we recruited 60 summer vac schemers but that number actually varied between 55 and 66 each year based on how the recruitment went.

3) In the absolute worst case scenario they will just offer you something else - a later scheme/start date, or see if they can move you across to a different opportunity (eg a direct TC process if you are going forward for a VS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.