TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I think it is a bit but it’s not completely random
    Yes I know what you mean like I had my application rejected by Skadden and HSF but then got progressed past applkication stage for similar law firms so it is just that a good application does not always mean you will not progress past application stage. But do bare in mind that HSF are a really competitive firm and they are really academic strict.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Good evening all.

What resources did everyone use to really dig deep into M&A and specifically a lawyers role in it? I have gone through the commercial law handbook and TCLA's mini-course - but I still feel like I have a very superficial understanding. Are there any resources that really go in-depth from a law perspective?

Reactions: rose888 and SCN

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Good evening all.

What resources did everyone use to really dig deep into M&A and specifically a lawyers role in it? I have gone through the commercial law handbook and TCLA's mini-course - but I still feel like I have a very superficial understanding. Are there any resources that really go in-depth from a law perspective?
    Youtube videos or other sources by doing more research on it.

Reactions: Commerciallaw

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    I watched this video a few times when I was researching and revising for ACs and I always learnt something new each time. They're two partners at Hogan Lovells and they basically talk through (in quite a humorous way) the steps of an M&A deal with a fictional case study. Though they're American, it should still give you a good idea around an acquisition!

edit: since you're looking for the legal aspects of M&A, this video is particularly helpful in talking about key provisions/terms you'd put in, which is obviously what the lawyers would be trying to do!

Last edited:

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    For those who completed Freshfields' WG, did you get an email confirmation of some sort/update on the job portal to confirm that you have completed the WG? I finished my WG but didn't receive any confirmation email, nor is there any indication on the job portal that I have completed the WG. Not sure if it's just me being paranoid but not hearing back after WG is killing me (it's been a week since I completed the WG - but it seems like ppl getting to freshfields ac on this forum all got their AC invites relatively quickly after the WG) and the last thing i want to hear is my WG didn't register because of a system error or smth

For context: i applied for freshfields summer vac scheme on the friday before the deadline. received WG invite the following tuesday

Last edited:

manifestingaTC

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 5, 2020
    Today I got PFOs post-interview from NRF and post-SJT from Mayer Brown ...

On the SAME MORNING I got an AC for Bird & Bird and Samsung, and an interview for Baker McKenzie.

I can't handle this rollercoaster of emotions 😭
    Focusing on the positives - huge congrats ✨
    Can I ask when you did the B&B VI? I’m very nervous & still waiting haha. Thanks

• 🏆
    • Love
    Reactions: AvniD, GXA123 and Zubin

Lawfulx

Star Member
    Jan 2, 2021
    I was wondering if it's still worth applying to BCLP so close to the deadline for their VS?

They are rolling and I think there website states that if you apply on the deadline the app might be overlooked...

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    When people speak of applying "too close to the deadline", what do they usually mean? I get that applying 2-3 days before a deadline might be too close. But is 2-3 weeks before a deadline also too close? @Jessica Booker if you have any thoughts, I'd be grateful to hear them :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.