TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Frankly? I do not know because these are the first results but my personal idea is that the SQE is plain BS and will create a more white privileged industry. I am not against white people..my family and future wife are white! I feel you!
    I do not get it - why are white people getting more of an advantage in the SQE? It is an exam no...if you study more then you pass? (I am not white but I am just curious what this means)

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    that is why the LPC I personally think was 10 times easier, but still this is only the first year and no one is used to it so most likely the figures will improve
    I definitely agree with this. I personally think the LPC is a better method of becoming qualified because they’re formal exams whereas if you study the SQE and you hate MCQs, then it’s really not gonna work in your favour and you’re gonna have to put in extra amount of work.
    Plus, MCQs tend to examine the nitty gritty details which you may have missed in your reading whereas in your traditional LPC exams, you’re only examined on the main areas and may get away with it if you forget a certain percentage or name.

WillF

Star Member
    Jul 31, 2021
    What is the best way to approach "What excites you about pursuing a career in commercial law?"?

Is it similar to why commercial law, where I should tie my own experiences in, or is it more saying how i am attracted to working on 'major deals with major clients' (but being far less generic!) kind of thing?

Thanks in advance :)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I do not get it - why are white people getting more of an advantage in the SQE? It is an exam no...if you study more then you pass? (I am not white but I am just curious what this means)
    It is what they have available: perhaps a better housing situation, maybe they can afford private tutors, maybe they can study without financial worries and no need to work part-time or full-time. I hope to have more data but it is a conversation that we all need to have!

Last edited:

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    I am confused- in the article u linked it says the following:

" In 2019/20, 57.7% of students successfully completed the LPC, which will eventually be replaced by the Solicitors Qualifying Exam, compared with 58% the previous academic year.

The number who failed the course – not including those who were withdrawn or suspended, or who deferred or may resit one or more of their assessments – dropped from 3.3% to 1.6%."

How could there be a 57.7% pass rate but the number of people who failed was 1.6%....am I missing something here.
    My understanding of reading that was 57.7% pass without having to resit anything. 1.6% outright fail and are not allowed any more resits. Most people would drop out before they get to the point though.

• Sad
    Reactions: Commerciallaw

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    It is what they have available: perhaps a better housing situation is better, maybe they can afford private tutors, maybe they can study without financial worries and no need to work part-time or full-time. I hope to have more data but it is a conversation that we all need to have!
    So perhaps it would be more worthwhile to look at the impact of socioeconomic factors on pass rates? I’d be interested to see if there is a difference in pass rates between say those sponsored on the fast-track those working part time and studying full time and working full time and studying part time. I’m doing the LPC part time currently whilst working a full time and part time job and I have never felt exhaustion like it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Very interesting - anyone know the pass rate for the LPC? And any discrepancies between ethniticies?
    It is ultimately not miles off the LPC which had a pass rate of 58% in 2020. But they are very different assessments that it is not like assessing like for like. You could LPC for non-attendance of the course for instance, while the SQE, you just turn up for the exam.

Reactions: Rob93 and h1

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    In an interview, how would you answer 'why law?' differently to 'why commercial law?' ?

I personally think it's the same

If the Q specifically says why law, I’d outline broadly why law appeals to me and then I’d segue into ‘why commercial law’ maybe 30 seconds afterwards.

Not entirely - someone saying “I want to be a lawyer because I want to help people” will make sense when interviewing at a high street firm but will probably lead to some head scratches at a big corporate firm. They’re related in that working in law requires certain skills and involves processes which will interest you, but “why commercial law” specifically speaks to why you’re interested in pursuing law at the corporate/commercial level.

Hi all,

I know this question was a little while back, but I thought I would just give my two cents:

I think the distinction is very important. Although broadly they are related, I think it is very important that you tailor your "why law?" answer to the commercial world, rather than, for example, family law or even human rights/environmental law.

Personally I would also advise using it as a rhetorical device (i.e., challenging yourself by following up on your answer with, well why not X law?), might well be useful. It will mean that your justification for choosing to train at a commercial firm is sufficiently specific and precise.

Putting in time to prepare for being able to justify why not X, in addition to just why X is also a very good idea. In one of my interviews, I was asked "why law?", and was then challenged when the Partner asked, well why not consulting? This nearly stumped me at the time.

I also found this thread which might be a useful!

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
    Dec 11, 2021
    My portal says reviewed
    That’s probably a good sign then! I’m not grad rec but I would assume they reject definitely no applicants, keep some people (maybes/yes) as they make their way through VIs, and then at the end pick top X they want to bring to interview. I don’t know though, but seeing as they have already rejected it could be this way

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Wow. I had no idea that the pass rate for SQE would be so low; I’d have guessed it would be more like 80%.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you’re granted a TC but fail the SQE prior to joining?
    Most likely the same as if you fail the LPC, you either have to resit and your TC is delayed or your offer is rescinded.

It won't be much different to if you failed LPC though - pass rates for the LPC were only 57/58%, although it won't be a direct comparison (as its only really like sitting half of the LPC). The other thing to mention is that pass rates for sponsored candidates tends to be much higher, partly because of the candidates, partly because of the institutions who provide the courses, and in some cases where the courses are bespoke to the firm's requirements, because of the additional support the institution provides to firms' future trainees.

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    So perhaps it would be more worthwhile to look at the impact of socioeconomic factors on pass rates? I’d be interested to see if there is a difference in pass rates between say those sponsored on the fast-track those working part time and studying full time and working full time and studying part time. I’m doing the LPC part time currently whilst working a full time and part time job and I have never felt exhaustion like it.
    I completely feel your last statement. I work 40 hours per week in my current career and last year studied the GDL full-time. It was very hard but I passed all modules on my first sitting (plus missing a month of study when my daughter went into hospital unexpectedly but that's another story!). This year I am still working but studying the LPC part-time which I thought would still be heavy but a bit easier than last year and I was very wrong. The sheer amount of reading etc on the LPC means it takes more time now on the part-time than it did last year on full-time....it is insane.
    Socioeconomic factors would have a huge impact on pass rates i would imagine. I have to work full-time to pay the bills, particularly as student finance doesn't cover the full cost of the LPC fees. Being a career changer, my age and family situation will play a huge part also compared to a young 'un fresh from university or someone living in shared housing etc. I would be interested to see if there are any geographical differences in pass rates too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.