TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
...question - do you guys use 'practical law' (or any other legal resources) to learn about M&A. Or is that too much detail? Because I am soo scared that I do not have enough info/knowledge for the case study
I *love* practicallaw - it might provide more detail than they're necessarily looking for, and I think it's probably sensible to go into assessments being prepared to not deploy everything you've picked up in your preparations if it might divert you from the main point of the exercise. That said it's better to be armed with more knowledge than less, just be wary of getting caught in the weeds on time-pressured exercises

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Correct me if I’m wrong as I’m not speaking from experience; but, remember that graduates of any discipline can gain vacation schemes at most firms. IMO technical legal knowledge will not be something that will be challenged much in a case study but I’m sure others who have actually attended ACs will be able to provider better guidance!
    Thank you for responding. But practical law isn't just legal knowledge - but they go into depth about lets say debt vs equity in financing an acquisition. But within that let us say you chose debt - would you choose an overdraft (adv/disadv), term loan (adv/disadv), Mezzanin (adv/disadv) - and within that bridge financing, revolving credit facilities etc.. etc... 😭 😭

I just have no idea how much depth is needed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I've just been invited to interview for a paralegal role at a firm for which I'm currently finalising a VS app - is pursuing both of these concurrently going to raise any eyebrows on either side or jeopardise my chances in any way?
    Is it a perm paralegal role or a fixed-term contract?

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Thank you for responding. But practical law isn't just legal knowledge - but they go into depth about lets say debt vs equity in financing an acquisition. But within that let us say you chose debt - would you choose an overdraft (adv/disadv), term loan (adv/disadv), Mezzanin (adv/disadv) - and within that bridge financing, revolving credit facilities etc.. etc... 😭 😭

I just have no idea how much depth is needed
    I think if you've got this knowledge, great, it'll be impressive (though I'd say be careful, you don't want to trip yourself up in front of someone who has a far better understanding of it).

But keep in mind that absolutely no one is expecting you to go into this having any sort of understanding of a loan facility agreement. I think if you can outline the basic advantages/drawbacks of debt vs. equity financing and why one might be more appropriate than the other, you're probably on the right path. I think if you overcomplicate it in the little time you have you risk 1) going off track 2) making mistakes and undermining the strength of your own answer.

Nemo_nana

Apr 17, 2020
    Funny story time : Just got an email earlier from my dream firm asking me to work on something for them (I applied for a vac scheme but have not yet heard back) I knew this email was definitely not meant for me because of the context but somehow I wanted it to be lol.
    I emailed said firm to ask “Are you sure I’m the intended recipient?” They emailed back “Yes. please see previous thread.” Long story short, I was not in fact the intended recipient and there was a mix-up. 💔😅

Nemo_nana

Apr 17, 2020
    Funny story time : Just got an email earlier from my dream firm asking me to work on something for them (I applied for a vac scheme but have not yet heard back) I knew this email was definitely not meant for me because of the context but somehow I wanted it to be lol.
    I emailed said firm to ask “Are you sure I’m the intended recipient?” They emailed back “Yes. please see previous thread.” Long story short, I was not in fact the intended recipient and there was a mix-up. 💔😅
    And that is how my Friday afternoon of refreshing emails is going folks 🙃

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Does anyone have any advice on the white & case video interview? Since it’s only 3 days to prepare can I assume the questions will be fairly broad and not too challenging?
    Yeah - when I did it for the winter scheme it was the typical video interview questions. 30secs prep 90 secs to speak. Still need to do research on firm I would recommend though

• 🤝
    Reactions: Law2021vacschemer

GeorgieW

Dec 17, 2021
    Yeah - when I did it for the winter scheme it was the typical video interview questions. 30secs prep 90 secs to speak. Still need to do research on firm I would recommend though
    do you remember whether it is more commercially-heavy or competency/motivation-heavy? I'm a little scarred by the Skadden experience of nothing but commercial and it's making me over-think other American firms!

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    do you remember whether it is more commercially-heavy or competency/motivation-heavy? I'm a little scarred by the Skadden experience of nothing but commercial and it's making me over-think other American firms!
    What I got from my white and case experience (I went to the assessment centre) was very much more about you and not so much commercial based.

It was a while ago now so I don’t want to give wrong advice but from what I remember it was definitely a video interview I thought went better than others.things like About the firm, about you (competencies) but the commercial awareness is broad? Like you can talk about anything

Reactions: GeorgieW
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.