TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
@George Maxwell @AvniD @Jessica Booker

How long should my response to classic competency questions be (tell me about a time ...) in a (virtual) interview?

EDIT: how do I go about preparing for a competency interview. What limit is there for preparing the 'tell me about a time' competency questions? How many? Confused about how to tackle competency question preparation.
My answer for how long this can be in a virtual interview differs from an actual interview scenario, the reason being that it's harder to pick up on social cues about how your answer is being perceived in a virtual interview as you're generally looking into the camera while you're speaking. With this in mind, keeping it to a minute or so should be good.

Although, my greatest tip would be to instead focus on making sure that your answers are sufficiently detailed by not going too far into the nitty gritties and at the same time ensuring that your answer isn't sparse either. Doing so will not only keep you within the timeframe you'd like to limit yourself to but will also ensure that you're keeping your interviewers engaged.

The structure I'd recommend to use while prepping for your competency questions is either STAR or briefly state the competency ➡️ walk the interviewer through your actions/thought process that demonstrated your competency ➡️ elaborate on the impact of you applying/developing this competency.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
HSF AC!!! It's my first ever AC so would really appreciate any tips if anyone has any 😅
Hey @ee300,

Amazing news. That's awesome to hear that you have been progressed to interview with HSF. They are a fantastic firm, although I am a little biased! 🙌

This post might be helpful for an insight into HSF's interviews and how to prepare (particularly the scenario-based interview). I would also make sure that you are hot on your legal terminology ahead of the interview, even as a non-law student. If you have Jake Schogger's Commercial Law Handbook, I would take a look through the section on this.

I hope that helps! Very happy to answer any follow-ups as always!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
When discussing why you want to work for an American law firm, is it ok to mention work that the American offices are involved in (but the london office isnt involved in it) or should you only mention work pertaining to london office?
@LSELawsolicitor At the end of the day, which deal you pick doesn't matter as much as how you use that deal to 1) demonstrate your research and 2) motivations for a career in commercial law at that firm. That being said, I'd stick to deals involving the London office so that you can possibly connect with your interviewers on any work they may have been involved in.

Reactions: ssolicitorz

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Would anyone have advice as to how to go about answering this question?:

Please set out the areas of law that interest you and why?

As a non-law student, I feel this is maybe asking for something quite specific...something I may be out of my depth answering?... a personal reason? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Don't overthink it- simply pick an area you have an interest in ➡️ justify how you developed this interest (maybe you read something, attended an event, spoke to a lawyer practising in this area) ➡️ read up on deals in this areas (possibly those the firm was involved in) to demonstrate that you know how you may be expected to get involved as a trainee.

Just ensure you pick areas that you genuinely have an interest in because interviewers are intuitive at picking up on whether you're feigning interest. Sometimes the simplest of answers delivered and structured well make a bigger impact than answers that you think will be perceived as being 'impressive'.

• Love
Reactions: A.Diane01

JunLee2808

Junior Lawyer
Oct 16, 2021
Hey guys! I just have a question for an upcoming interview.

I'm not sure whether I should repeat my examples that I talked about in the online app in the interview.

For example on the online app, they asked what were my hobbies and interests. I wrote about meeting new, diverse people, learning about their experiences/perspectives and engaging in discussion. Then I spoke about my experience being a Student Ambassador.

What if, in the interview, they ask me 'what energises you?'. Because what really energises me is a team-working setting and being able to learn from different/fresh perspectives. I genuinely enjoy the exposure. Do you think it is ok for me to repeat my example? I just don't want to be a broken record that regurgitates the same things. But at the same time I'm not sure whether my interviewer has read my online app and remembered parts of that.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to sell myself well, or any specific structure/guideline I should follow that works well? I struggle with this due to self-criticism :')

Any tips would be appreciated! Would also appreciate if @Jessica Booker or any of the TCLA moderators could advise me on this!
@Jessica Booker, moderators and others, what do you think about my approach?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hey guys! I just have a question for an upcoming interview.

I'm not sure whether I should repeat my examples that I talked about in the online app in the interview.

For example on the online app, they asked what were my hobbies and interests. I wrote about meeting new, diverse people, learning about their experiences/perspectives and engaging in discussion. Then I spoke about my experience being a Student Ambassador.

What if, in the interview, they ask me 'what energises you?'. Because what really energises me is a team-working setting and being able to learn from different/fresh perspectives. I genuinely enjoy the exposure. Do you think it is ok for me to repeat my example? I just don't want to be a broken record that regurgitates the same things. But at the same time I'm not sure whether my interviewer has read my online app and remembered parts of that.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to sell myself well, or any specific structure/guideline I should follow that works well? I struggle with this due to self-criticism :')

Any tips would be appreciated! Would also appreciate if @Jessica Booker or any of the TCLA moderators could advise me on this!
What examples you use and whether you repeat them is not as important as how you present your answer in the context of your interview. If you say that you are energised by teamwork, follow that up with an example that demonstrates how you know this and if it makes sense in the interview, then maybe even link it to how you intend to apply the same in your role as a trainee.

As for selling yourself well, I'd suggest taking some time out to figure out your USP- what experiences, choices, challenges and initiatives make you 'you'. Once you have this down, after you link your USP to the firm's ethos/vision/trainee competencies, it becomes easier to convince interviewers why you're uniquely suited to the role.

Reactions: George Maxwell

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you for responding. But practical law isn't just legal knowledge - but they go into depth about lets say debt vs equity in financing an acquisition. But within that let us say you chose debt - would you choose an overdraft (adv/disadv), term loan (adv/disadv), Mezzanin (adv/disadv) - and within that bridge financing, revolving credit facilities etc.. etc... 😭 😭

I just have no idea how much depth is needed
You'll have to determine the depth of detail when you're in the interview. Look at the case study, observe the language that's been used and accordingly tailor your approach. You clearly know your stuff- you just have to trust your instinct and intuition and be aware of how your interviewers are perceiving the depth of detail you're providing to know when to add more and when to stop.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hiii everyone,

Firstly, anyone else nearly pee themselves after getting that very nice update email from Mishcon yesterday? 💀

Secondly, I’ve decided to apply for Walker Morris again, and I still don’t know how to answer “What connections do you have to the area?”
- what are they looking for?
Is it to confirm your committed to staying post training?, or that you know about the businesses in the area/the commercial trends etc?
thaaanks
I'm honestly not sure 🤔. What's the full question?

Reactions: Jaysen

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    still havent heard anything from hl hsf and links for summer ... expecting multiple pfos😩😭
    I believe only 1 person has announced to the forum that they’ve received Linklaters summer AC. In fact, I think spring ACs are still taking place right now. I had my hopes up for a reply this week but I’ve come to terms that most firms are only just processing spring ACs so there’s still plenty of time!

Reactions: kmax301

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Funny story time : Just got an email earlier from my dream firm asking me to work on something for them (I applied for a vac scheme but have not yet heard back) I knew this email was definitely not meant for me because of the context but somehow I wanted it to be lol.
    I emailed said firm to ask “Are you sure I’m the intended recipient?” They emailed back “Yes. please see previous thread.” Long story short, I was not in fact the intended recipient and there was a mix-up. 💔😅
    Hiii everyone,

Firstly, anyone else nearly pee themselves after getting that very nice update email from Mishcon yesterday? 💀

Secondly, I’ve decided to apply for Walker Morris again, and I still don’t know how to answer “What connections do you have to the area?”
    - what are they looking for?
    Is it to confirm your committed to staying post training?, or that you know about the businesses in the area/the commercial trends etc?
    thaaanks
    They don’t need you to talk about the business about the area - it’s just personally what ties you to the region.

Reactions: Hele25 and AvniD

gt1465

Jan 8, 2022
    I did the AC for the Winter VS and was successful, and it was really enjoyable. I know that sounds strange to say for an AC, but it really was! Pay attention to detail for the technical interview to make sure you don't miss anything. Prepare your usual commercial law areas (M&A, contracts etc) The competency interview is very friendly and more a conversation about your journey so far based on what was in your cover letter. Do ask the associate and HR person in the interview some things about their work towards the end - for me, this "asking questions bit" wasn't forced at all because they were so friendly and open. For the group exercise, make sure to get your bit in but also encourage your teammates and make sure you demonstrate good collaborative ability.

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you
    Thank you!

Hi @pizzamalia,

Congratulations on your interview. Just to gain an idea of how long you have to dedicate to interview preparation, when is your interview?

I wrote a post about article-based interviews here which might be useful.

I would also check out @BK's AMA thread which has some fantastic tips.

I hope that helps!

Apologies if this has already been answered in depth. Currently working through the thread!
    Thank you this is very helpful!! My interview is on 8 Feb. :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.