Training Contract Applications

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2019
Hi everybody,

I'm about to start applying for direct TCs for this summer. I am in my penultimate year and only just completed my first round of Vac Scheme applications and interviews,so I am just wondering what to expect from applying directly..is it much different?

I am also concerned about the need to have met and interacted with the firm before applying for a TC. Obviously that's best practice, but as an Irish student it's quite difficult to go to various open days and presentations as that requires flying to London during term time..which is not always feasible. Would it be enough just to reach out to grad recruiters and trainees via linkedin. I have been on exchange this year as we'll..making this even more difficult.

Lastly, I am just wondering how much legal experience you are expected to have when applying directly. I did an internship at a large commercial firm in Dublin last summer and have an upcoming vac scheme at a U.S firm and another internship at a Dublin commercial firm lined up for this summer. Is this enough experience or should I prepare to apply for another round of vac schemes instead?

Thank you

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hi everybody,

I'm about to start applying for direct TCs for this summer. I am in my penultimate year and only just completed my first round of Vac Scheme applications and interviews,so I am just wondering what to expect from applying directly..is it much different?

I am also concerned about the need to have met and interacted with the firm before applying for a TC. Obviously that's best practice, but as an Irish student it's quite difficult to go to various open days and presentations as that requires flying to London during term time..which is not always feasible. Would it be enough just to reach out to grad recruiters and trainees via linkedin. I have been on exchange this year as we'll..making this even more difficult.

Lastly, I am just wondering how much legal experience you are expected to have when applying directly. I did an internship at a large commercial firm in Dublin last summer and have an upcoming vac scheme at a U.S firm and another internship at a Dublin commercial firm lined up for this summer. Is this enough experience or should I prepare to apply for another round of vac schemes instead?

Thank you

I don’t think applying to TCs is really any different from applying to VSs.

Regarding previous interaction with firms - my personal experience is that it doesn’t matter that much. I hadn’t previously met (before applying to) any of the 3 firms that subsequently offered me TCs. My takeaway from that is that open days, events etc are great for assessing whether the firm is the right fit for you, and gleaning information to strengthen your applications. But if you already have a strong application, I don’t think it will count against you if you haven’t previously met the firm before. I hope that gives you some reassurance :)

Reactions: Helena

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2019
That's great ! Thank you very much. I was a bit apprehensive about applying to some firms since I have never formally interacted with them before. That's definitely reassuring !

Regarding previous interaction with firms - my personal experience is that it doesn’t matter that much. I hadn’t previously met (before applying to) any of the 3 firms that subsequently offered me TCs. My takeaway from that is that open days, events etc are great for assessing whether the firm is the right fit for you, and gleaning information to strengthen your applications. But if you already have a strong application, I don’t think it will count against you if you haven’t previously met the firm before. I hope that gives you some reassurance :)

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019

Just curious where you applied directly for the TC's? :)

I'm wondering because I've heard a lot of people saying that certain firms want you to do a VS first and I'm feeling a bit discouraged that applying for a direct TC may be pointless....

Thanks in advance :)

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2019
Hi guys,

Just another quick question. I have a vac scheme that finishes on the 26th of July, just before the majority of the TC deadlines. Just wondering if I'm better of waiting it out and submitting my application then so I can include the vac scheme in my work experience section ? Or since some of the deadlines are on a rolling basis should I instead just say I have an upcoming scheme and submit it early ?

Thank you

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi guys,

Just another quick question. I have a vac scheme that finishes on the 26th of July, just before the majority of the TC deadlines. Just wondering if I'm better of waiting it out and submitting my application then so I can include the vac scheme in my work experience section ? Or since some of the deadlines are on a rolling basis should I instead just say I have an upcoming scheme and submit it early ?

Thank you
I wouldn't wait. I would say you have an upcoming vac scheme and submit any applications well before the deadline.

Reactions: Alice G and Daniel Boden

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Where do candidates include upcoming vacation schemes in their application form? The work experience section?

I don't think many people did this when I was applying, although I can't quite remember.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I usually included this in the work experience section.

OK in that case agreed! The benefit of an early application should outweigh writing about a completed vac scheme (at least for passing this stage).

You could always leave applications to the non-rolling firms for after your scheme.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Great, thank you for the help ! Will do that so.
    I agree with all the advice above. I wouldn't leave the section blank though even though you haven't undertaken the experience yet. I would be inclined to write what it is you hope to gain and learn from the experience to demonstrate a bit more about yourself and to show that you have clear motivations for the vac scheme too. Though I wouldn't worry about hitting the whole 250 word count or whatever it might be :D

Last edited:

anaisindia

Dec 30, 2018
    Hi everybody,

Thank you

Hey! I applied for a mix of direct TC and vac scheme, although did mostly direct TC. I hadn't previously met the firm that ended up offering me a TC.

I think that that's definitely enough experience! I had a 6 month internship at a MC firm (in business development), some work experience and a few open days and got a TC :) you just need to demonstrate an interest and that you're dedicated.

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2019
    Hi,

Does anybody have the application questions for Norton Rose, Ashurst and Baker McKenzie ?

Summer TC applications haven't opened yet, but was hoping to get a bit of a head start. Assume the questions will be the same as those from the earlier round.

Thank you

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi,

Does anybody have the application questions for Norton Rose, Ashurst and Baker McKenzie ?

Summer TC applications haven't opened yet, but was hoping to get a bit of a head start. Assume the questions will be the same as those from the earlier round.

Thank you
    Bakers should be the same as the questions for March deadline. You might want to check about Ashurst because I understood they were full until March 2022 - @anaisindia may know more

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi,

Thank you

This is from our vac scheme questions list in the premium section (may need some verification):

Norton Rose Fulbright
    Describe your involvement in any extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility held. (150 words max)
    2. Tell us about a project you have recently worked on as part of a team. Describe your role, the outcome and what you learned. (150 words max)*
    3. When have you worked under pressure? Please use a recent example to demonstrate how you overcame the challenges you faced. (150 words max)*
    4. What issue have you been following in the press and how might this affect our global practice? (200 words max)*
    5. Why do you think you will be a good lawyer? Why are you applying to Norton Rose Fulbright? (200 words ma
    6. Please use this section to provide additional information about yourself and/or your experience that is relevant to this application. (100 words max)*

Baker McKenzie
    • Please ensure you cover the following points in your letter:
      • Why you are interested in becoming a commercial solicitor;
      • Why you have applied to Baker McKenzie; and
      • What three skills are you developing to ensure you are ready for the role of a Trainee Solicitor.
      • Please address your cover letter to Nicola Stanley, Graduate Recruitment & Development Manager. (750)
    • Baker McKenzie place great value on Diversity and Inclusion. Please outline how you would apply the principles of diversity and inclusion in your role, drawing on any initiatives that you may have been involved in. (250)
    • Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250)
    • Please give an example of where you feel you have gone above and beyond the expected level of service with a customer or client? Or alternatively where you have received outstanding service. What makes you feel this was beyond the expected level? (300)
    • Please detail all your key achievements and interests to date. Use this section to tell us about any academic prizes, events, societies or roles with community programmes that you feel are significant in supporting your application. (300)
    Ashurst is a cover letter + How is Ashurst different to the other firms you have applied to.

S30

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2019
    This is from our vac scheme questions list in the premium section (may need some verification):

Norton Rose Fulbright
    Describe your involvement in any extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility held. (150 words max)
    2. Tell us about a project you have recently worked on as part of a team. Describe your role, the outcome and what you learned. (150 words max)*
    3. When have you worked under pressure? Please use a recent example to demonstrate how you overcame the challenges you faced. (150 words max)*
    4. What issue have you been following in the press and how might this affect our global practice? (200 words max)*
    5. Why do you think you will be a good lawyer? Why are you applying to Norton Rose Fulbright? (200 words ma
    6. Please use this section to provide additional information about yourself and/or your experience that is relevant to this application. (100 words max)*

Baker McKenzie
    • Please ensure you cover the following points in your letter:
      • Why you are interested in becoming a commercial solicitor;
      • Why you have applied to Baker McKenzie; and
      • What three skills are you developing to ensure you are ready for the role of a Trainee Solicitor.
      • Please address your cover letter to Nicola Stanley, Graduate Recruitment & Development Manager. (750)
    • Baker McKenzie place great value on Diversity and Inclusion. Please outline how you would apply the principles of diversity and inclusion in your role, drawing on any initiatives that you may have been involved in. (250)
    • Excluding work experience, please detail all the events you have attended/organised which demonstrate your commitment to increasing your understanding of a career as a Solicitor. (250)
    • Please give an example of where you feel you have gone above and beyond the expected level of service with a customer or client? Or alternatively where you have received outstanding service. What makes you feel this was beyond the expected level? (300)
    • Please detail all your key achievements and interests to date. Use this section to tell us about any academic prizes, events, societies or roles with community programmes that you feel are significant in supporting your application. (300)
    Ashurst is a cover letter + How is Ashurst different to the other firms you have applied to.

Hi Jaysen

Do you know if the direct training contract application for Norton Rose Fulbright is for graduates as well, or is just for penultimate students only?

Thank you!

Reactions: JohnWest and JayB

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen

Do you know if the direct training contract application for Norton Rose Fulbright is for graduates as well, or is just for penultimate students only?

Thank you!

According to the website, it looks like summer is just for penultimate students. Graduates can apply October - January.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.