Scenario based questions

rhyu96

Mar 18, 2018
Hi all :)

I've got a partner interview coming up, I've been told it involves scenario based questions. I've gone through a couple of the questions on here in the 100 training contract interview questions, which were really helpful. I was wondering if anyone has had these kind of interviews and would appreciate any advice for preparing for them.

Thanks!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hey, congratulations on your interview! A few tips:
  • Be structured and concise. I would personally break my answers down in order of priority of action. So, if you were asked 'What would you do in X situation?', you could answer by saying 'First, I would do A, because ____, and then B, because ___. If all else failed, I would do C'. This kind of signposting helps your interviewer to follow your train of thought more effectively.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions or seek clarification. If it helps you to, take notes on a piece of paper before you answer the question. You can (and should) absolutely take a few seconds to compose yourself before speaking. If you're unclear about certain details in the question, you can ask for clarification before you present your answer.
  • Remember the key competencies your firm looks for. You'll want your answers to show that you are exactly the kind of trainee they are looking for. There's usually a list of these key competencies on the firm's website. It would also be wise to prepare examples of the times you've demonstrated these competencies, because sometimes scenario-based questions can be turned into competency questions. In one interview, I was asked 'What would you do if your boss suddenly removed you from a project that you'd been working hard on?', and after giving my answer, I was asked 'Have you encountered that situation in real-life, and how did you deal with it?'.
  • Always remember your role while answering the question. I think its quite important to remember that you're the fictitious trainee solicitor in these questions. As such, your answers should demonstrate not only key competencies, but should also demonstrate that you would be able to work well with your superiors.
Finally, probably the most important advice I can give you is to try relax, and be calm and confident in your interview. Good luck. :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.