Summer Plans Advice

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Hi guys,

Following my second application cycle, I have made progress by not getting rejected at the application stage in most of my applications. However, I was still unable to secure a vac scheme, and I hope that I will be third-time lucky next year. I'm still in law school, so I have another year of uni anyway. Nevertheless, I want to make the most of my summer. My current plans are to renew and improve my German language skills which fell behind after the completion of my German A Level; I also plan to complete a few online courses from Udemy and Coursera that are related to coding and corporate finance. Do you think that this will allow me to fulfil my summer with meaningful activities that would keep me in the "application game" for next year? I am really scared of having an empty summer as I've always had summer internships until this year.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Brushing up on your German and completing online courses will no doubt be extremely beneficial, but I think if you want to make the most of your summer for applications, you should try to line up some kind of work experience, whether that be a legal internship or summer work experience in any other related sector. You could do some sort of volunteering at the Citizens Advice Bureau, or at a legal advice clinic. You could even continue applying for Open Days, that could be something to add to your work experience. But even if you don't add any work experience this summer, I think you would definitely still be in the 'application game' for next cycle, so you shouldn't worry about that. :)

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    Hi guys,

Following my second application cycle, I have made progress by not getting rejected at the application stage in most of my applications. However, I was still unable to secure a vac scheme, and I hope that I will be third-time lucky next year. I'm still in law school, so I have another year of uni anyway. Nevertheless, I want to make the most of my summer. My current plans are to renew and improve my German language skills which fell behind after the completion of my German A Level; I also plan to complete a few online courses from Udemy and Coursera that are related to coding and corporate finance. Do you think that this will allow me to fulfil my summer with meaningful activities that would keep me in the "application game" for next year? I am really scared of having an empty summer as I've always had summer internships until this year.

I second what @Abstruser said about legal work experience. I think this is the most valuable thing you can have. I actually spoke to a recruiter once about some online courses I had done and she said that it was great to see that I had decided to expand my knowledge/ skill set but that it is also easy for anyone to go online and complete a course, and to not put too much emphasis on the online courses. If you are really looking to bolster your application I would focus on getting extra experience and also improving your German language skills (that is impressive). Then if you have spare time then definitely complete the courses to add some foundational knowledge.

But you still have made it through application stages so you are doing something right!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.