Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
Jan 10, 2019
Congratulations! I'm working on my application for this - any tips on how you approached the cover letter? There's not a lot of information on their website on the 'London' section... Good luck with the interview :)

Thank you! Honestly I sent my app off so long ago it was a pleasant surprise! I followed Slaughter's guidelines for writing a cover letter and was pretty concise but really tried to narrow in why law/ why Katten. Good luck!

Congrats! I had an interview with them last year. The interview is really laid back. They ask about what youre doing at the moment, Why Katten, What famous person would you invite to dinner and a recent news article that has interested you. I'll let you know if I remember any of the other questions.

Thank you so so so much!! This is incredibly helpful!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Has anyone done the Mayer Brown telephone interview? Just been offered one and they've only given me until tomorrow to prep so would appreciate any tips or guidance anyone has!

I know someone who has, will try see if I can get a response ASAP.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Has anyone done the Mayer Brown telephone interview? Just been offered one and they've only given me until tomorrow to prep so would appreciate any tips or guidance anyone has!

Here’s what she said:

‘The phone interview is a bit of an odd one, because a number of the questions aren’t really what you can prepare for. I was asked things like how I’d express my opinion with confidence, and how I’d find the right balance between being confident and not being arrogant. Google strengths-based interview questions and have a look at those and answer honestly (this is what the trainee advised me for my phone interview)

I was also asked why understanding business is important in my role. (I later then reflected that MB’s strategy in its clients relationships is to help their clients grow and develop their businesses)

I wasn’t asked why law (the interviewer said but that was already evident from my experience, so she didn’t need to ask me). But I was asked why Mayer Brown. So I would say prep why law and why Mayer Brown.’

Edit: ‘also have questions at the end to ask. My interviewer and I got on quite well because I asked questions personal to her and the firm more generally.’

Last edited:
    Reactions: tylergab

tylergab

Junior Lawyer
    Sep 7, 2018
    Here’s what she said:

‘The phone interview is a bit of an odd one, because a number of the questions aren’t really what you can prepare for. I was asked things like how I’d express my opinion with confidence, and how I’d find the right balance between being confident and not being arrogant. Google strengths-based interview questions and have a look at those and answer honestly (this is what the trainee advised me for my phone interview)

I was also asked why understanding business is important in my role. (I later then reflected that MB’s strategy in its clients relationships is to help their clients grow and develop their businesses)

I wasn’t asked why law (the interviewer said but that was already evident from my experience, so she didn’t need to ask me). But I was asked why Mayer Brown. So I would say prep why law and why Mayer Brown.’

Thank you so much!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.