Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hey guys, I did an interview at Goodwin Procter on the 7th March, and they said they would get back to me in 2 weeks, and that they did not have that many interviews to do.

It's been two weeks and 1 day - should I email? Or am I being pedantic?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
They said to me 7-10 days :)

Oh I meant post interview, apologies I misinterpreted your post. The application I can’t say as I went to the Winter Workshop and got my interview on the back of getting through on that app. Sorry for the misunderstanding! Best of luck with the app :)

Reactions: S30

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys, I did an interview at Goodwin Procter on the 7th March, and they said they would get back to me in 2 weeks, and that they did not have that many interviews to do.

It's been two weeks and 1 day - should I email? Or am I being pedantic?

I'd wait until the end of next week. If you don't hear back then, drop them an email.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Off topic but does anyone have recommendations for books and articles on comemercial finance?

Replying to the PM on here just in case anyone else finds it useful.

I assume you've already been through the books by Stoakes (which are a great introduction)? Beyond that, I bought the following when I was trying to read up on corporate finance before :
    • Introduction to Global Financial Markets: This is supposed to be an introduction but it's pretty full on. There's a ton of information here but probably more useful to those who already have some grounding in the financial markets. Covers everything from investment banking to bonds to current trends)
    • The Money Machine: How the City works: This is a great introduction to the financial markets. It's well written and easy to understand)
    • Financial Markets (The FT Guide): (I remember this being a little technical, but a great overview of the financial markets.
    If you want some entertaining finance books then Michael Lewis is great (the writer behind The Big Short) - but not really corporate finance related!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: CF, S30, JL and 1 other person

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    Off topic but does anyone have recommendations for books and articles on comemercial finance?

Whilst these aren't all finance books, they're mostly hedge fund ones, I'd still recommend if you want a look into the funds world.

Hedge Hogs by Barbara Dreyfuss - this is about the collapse of a hedge fund which traded heavily in oil and gas futures. It's more of a story than a book on how hedge funds operate, but you'll get a feel for how futures markets work after reading it. It's also quite an interesting story.

One Step Ahead by Timothy Spangler - I was taught by this guy who is a partner at Dechert in America. It's all about how hedge funds and private equity funds operate (more focus on hedge funds though). It's more technical than the one above and is more of a guide book than following a story. It bases the discussion around the effects of the GFC on funds and the regulation that emerged as a result.

King of Capital by David Carey - I'm still reading this now but also loving it. This is more finance focused as it focuses on the rise of LBO (leveraged buyouts) usage by private equity firms and I've found to be a really nice read.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: S30, Maddie R and JL

JL

Star Member
    Oct 31, 2018
    Replying to the PM on here just in case anyone else finds it useful.

I assume you've already been through the books by Stoakes (which are a great introduction)? Beyond that, I bought the following when I was trying to read up on corporate finance before :
    • Introduction to Global Financial Markets: This is supposed to be an introduction but it's pretty full on. There's a ton of information here but probably more useful to those who already have some grounding in the financial markets. Covers everything from investment banking to bonds to current trends)
    • The Money Machine: How the City works: This is a great introduction to the financial markets. It's well written and easy to understand)
    • Financial Markets (The FT Guide): (I remember this being a little technical, but a great overview of the financial markets.
    If you want some entertaining finance books then Michael Lewis is great (the writer behind The Big Short) - but not really corporate finance related!

Whilst these aren't all finance books, they're mostly hedge fund ones, I'd still recommend if you want a look into the funds world.

Hedge Hogs by Barbara Dreyfuss - this is about the collapse of a hedge fund which traded heavily in oil and gas futures. It's more of a story than a book on how hedge funds operate, but you'll get a feel for how futures markets work after reading it. It's also quite an interesting story.

One Step Ahead by Timothy Spangler - I was taught by this guy who is a partner at Dechert in America. It's all about how hedge funds and private equity funds operate (more focus on hedge funds though). It's more technical than the one above and is more of a guide book than following a story. It bases the discussion around the effects of the GFC on funds and the regulation that emerged as a result.

King of Capital by David Carey - I'm still reading this now but also loving it. This is more finance focused as it focuses on the rise of LBO (leveraged buyouts) usage by private equity firms and I've found to be a really nice read.

Thanks both, this will be enough to keep me going for a while! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.