Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Details of the 2019 Orrick Open day, thank you to this poster for sharing.

1. Drafting exercise

a. Responding to a letter

2. Interview with HR and Senior Lawyer
    1. Why law?
    2. Why Orrick?
    3. Why do you think are Orrick’s competitors? And who else have you applied to
    4. What qualities do you believe are important for a lawyer and what have you done?
    5. What are the biggest challenges facing the legal sector and how do you find out information about that
    6. also how have clients changed and their expectations apart from innovation etc?
    7. When have you demonstrated qualities like resilience and organisation and those qualities that are essential to being a lawyer?
    8. When have you worked in a team where others contributed and what was their contribution? what were your own?
    9. When has a deadline changed and how did you deal with that and why did that come about
    10. When did you have to convince someone or a group to go your direction and were there any difficult members?
    11. If you hosted a dinner who would you invite? (dead/alive)
    12. How would your friends describe you in 3 words?
    Negotiation
    • Three party negotiation in teams of 3
    4. Lots of sessions to talk and network
    • Day was 9.30am-6.30pm
    • Friendly lawyers

• 🏆
    Reactions: Salma and JL

Natalie Black

Distinguished Member
    Aug 13, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

The online application asks applicants to copy and paste a covering letter. It then goes on to ask you why commercial law and why Orrick. Usually a cover letter covers the 2 later points. At the open day did they indicate what they would like applicants to convey in the cover letter?

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

The online application asks applicants to copy and paste a covering letter. It then goes on to ask you why commercial law and why Orrick. Usually a cover letter covers the 2 later points. At the open day did they indicate what they would like applicants to convey in the cover letter?

Hi Ashleigh,

I approached this by basically explaining why I would be a good fit for Orrick based on the skills and attributes they looked for, and the type of firm they make themselves out to be. Didn't see the point in repeating why law and why Orrick.

Hope this helps!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

To add to the great advice @bronson gave, the very helpful candidate above said the following:

Well to get on the Open Day we did the same application for the direct Training Contract one so when we got to the Open Day they didn't talk about the application form...

However, I've briefly written down what I wrote on each section to help!

My application structure:

1. Cover letter:

a. I covered my interest in Orrick

b. Paragraphs:

· (1) My interest in the firm’s tech focus + examples

· (2) Innovation + examples

· (3) Diversity initiatives and other training opportunities

2. Extra-curricular Q

· Gave 2 detailed examples and 1 brief example (sports)

3. Achievements

· Academic: Competitions/scholarships just briefly outlined

· Non-Academic: Sports/ piano

4. Proudest achievement

· Gave an example of my time management with all the different things I did during university whilst having strong academic achievements

5. News article

· Talked about private equity story and linked it to how they had lateral hires in this area (talked about how these will present opportunities to Orrick)

6. Why commercial law

a. Why commercial law (commercial aspect)– my experience

b. What else attracts me about it (skills) – other experience

c. Why international law scheme (breadth/international work)– my vac schemes

7. Why train at Orrick?

a. With this question I talked about the training contract structure – they have six seats and so I focused on that and how that would benefit me

b. Talked about their recognition as a global 20 law firm and types of clients

So the differentiator between the Cover Letter and Why Orrick is that Why Orrick specifically asks why you want to TRAIN there so look at their training contract too – there’s lots to talk about in the Cover Letter (think about what’s great about the firm in total segregated from being a trainee there, e.g. things mentioned innovation etc), there’s a lot on their brochure that they’ve prided themselves on.

· Could even talk about a deal with the training Q

· Cover letter – I could have talked about some of my other experiences as I usually do 1/3 Why Law 1/3 Why them 1/3 Why me, but there were so many Qs in this Orrick app that I think you could just focus on them – their brochure has a lot to talk about

· Where I could I used their names – e.g. when lateral hires… or their women partner stats I wrote down the names of the women who got promoted (only 3)

Reactions: Helena

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen. There isn't a law firm insight on Orrick is there? Just wanted to check.

Not yet, I'm a little behind on the insights!

Once the M&A class comes out, I'm hoping to get round to a few more of these. Macfarlanes is next on the list and then I'll do a post in the premium forum asking for requests.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.