Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Please feel free to use this thread for any off topic questions/comments discussions.

One question from me - I'm in the market for new headphones, does anyone have any suggestions? I listen to music every day while I work, so quite happy to splash out a bit for some good ones.

Reactions: Dipen

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    Really like my Jaybird. I had a set of Beats but they had to go back as one ear bud stopped working completely and I'm not a particularly sweaty person!

Bose quiet comforts are unbeatable. They're over-ear but I can wear mine for about 5 hours straight and still forget they're on my head = madness.

I wear them to the gym because they're so lightweight and when the ear pads get too smelly (this has happened once in 4 years of owning them - yes they still work perfect after 4 years) you can buy a replacement pair for about £5 = double madness.

Also sound quality/ bass ratio is way better than beats and generally unbeatable from listening to my friends headphones = even more madness.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Bose quiet comforts are unbeatable. They're over-ear but I can wear mine for about 5 hours straight and still forget they're on my head = madness.

I wear them to the gym because they're so lightweight and when the ear pads get too smelly (this has happened once in 4 years of owning them - yes they still work perfect after 4 years) you can buy a replacement pair for about £5 = double madness.

Also sound quality/ bass ratio is way better than beats and generally unbeatable from listening to my friends headphones = even more madness.

Is it the Bose QC 31 II? I did strongly consider that along with Sennheiser HD598 (open back headphones). After spending way too much time researching headphones, I ended up going for these guys: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86. Using them right now!

Kelvin

Apr 14, 2019
    Hey everyone!

Random comment: obviously this forum is geared towards applicants rather than trainees, but are there plans to do more to retain those successful applicants on this forum so that future/current trainees can also make good use of this website (for their benefit as well as to obviously provide more help to prospective applicants)?

Reactions: Alice G

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone!

Random comment: obviously this forum is geared towards applicants rather than trainees, but are there plans to do more to retain those successful applicants on this forum so that future/current trainees can also make good use of this website (for their benefit as well as to obviously provide more help to prospective applicants)?

Absolutely, we are very keen on developing resources for future and current trainees.

Are you a future trainee/trainee yourself? If you are, we recently launched our Trainee Forum: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/groups/the-trainee-forum.30/groupinfo, which you are welcome to join.

It's in its early days yet, but we have more resources planned for the future.

Reactions: Kelvin and Alice G

Kelvin

Apr 14, 2019
    Absolutely, we are very keen on developing resources for future and current trainees.

Are you a future trainee/trainee yourself? If you are, we recently launched our Trainee Forum: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/groups/the-trainee-forum.30/groupinfo, which you are welcome to join.

It's in its early days yet, but we have more resources planned for the future.
    Great, thanks for the response. Can you give an indication of what kind of resources are planned or what the general plan for the trainee forum is?

Yes I am a future trainee. :)

Charity Mafuba

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 8, 2019
    Hello all
    Jaysen, I am a premium member but my profile stipulates otherwise. Also do I have access to the premium membership forums etc?
    Will your new classes on finance and capital markets cover derivatives, securities etc?
    Many thanks

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello all
    Jaysen, I am a premium member but my profile stipulates otherwise. Also do I have access to the premium membership forums etc?
    Will your new classes on finance and capital markets cover derivatives, securities etc?
    Many thanks
    Hi Charity,

I have updated your profile. I see you are already a member of the premium forum: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/forums/tcla-premium.52/.

I doubt I'll cover derivatives in the finance and capital markets class as it's beyond the level you need to know for interview. I do briefly talk about them in the financial crisis section of the Introduction to the City Course (at least the regulatory response after the financial crisis).

The finance and capital markets class will explore what you need to know about debt finance and equity finance (and interview questions based those topics).

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Great, thanks for the response. Can you give an indication of what kind of resources are planned or what the general plan for the trainee forum is?

Yes I am a future trainee. :)

Sure, the plan at the moment is on The Trainee Forum page (copied below). Still very early days but very keen to drive this forward.

The Trainee Forum has three aims:
    1. To connect you with trainees across a variety of commercial firms.
    2. To provide resources to help you prepare for your training contract.
    3. To provide support as you commence your training contract.
    There's plenty of resources available for aspiring lawyers applying to training contracts but far less for you guys at this stage. Over the course of the year, we'll be working on bringing you:
    • Free access to our "Introduction to the City" classes to keep you up to date on private equity, the financial markets, Brexit, and more.
    • Interviews with trainees, associates and partners at top commercial firms to help you hit the ground running during your training contract.
    • Advice and support on dealing with the hours, the work-life balance and managing expectations through our partner organisations.
    You may also want to use this group to build your network across the City and meet other future trainees at your firm. Next year, we plan to run networking events for TCLA members.

Reactions: Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.