TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
Is it conventional to include incoming vacation schemes in the work experience section of applications? If so, how should this be framed in the corresponding details/description section?
Yes, you absolutely should. You don't need to include any explanation of the work you will do, just simply put 'to start in [month] 2022.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Randomly typed "law firm" into the GIF option on here....

Can't work out if they are serious GIFS from law firms or just there for GIF related laughs

Meme Reaction GIF

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Well that brings all outstanding applications to close for me with a second vac scheme offer! Definitely going to celebrate this weekend as my LPC exams are over as well!

I made 5 applications this cycle, 2 direct TC 3 VS. I received 1 post VI PFO for a VS, 2 post final AC/Interview PFOs for the TCs and 2 vac scheme offers! This is my third cycle and the first time I've got any offers, I didn't even make it to AC in my first cycle!

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Does anyone know the general dress code for vac schemes? I have a friend in finance who got judged for not having an expensive suit 😭😭
    as long as it’s smart business wear aka suits it’s fine. If you get judged for the cost of a suit - I would argue that firm is not worth your commitment.

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Also apparently I heard that at Travers Smith the lawyers don't wear a suit but don't know if that is still the case.
    That’s true. Some firms have a more a smart casual policy - which I believe is more and more common. Though I think for people on vacation schemes it’s best to stick to smart business wear unless otherwise stated.

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    In general does anyone have advice regarding dress code for women on a vac scheme? Can skirts be above the knee (not high though), do you have to wear heels or can you wear smart shoes like loafers? Alsooo can you wear tight clothing (appropriate ofc)? Just stressing about this currently 😭
    The advice I've gotten from female associates is that as long as you style your clothes right, wear the right lengths, and go for modesty over shock, most clothing choices should be fine.

For skirts, they usually advise over the knee, but still, if you dress it correctly, you should be fine with a skirt/dress somewhat above the knee. And for heels, a mid-heel is usually fine (I think this is about 2 cm - 6 cm).

At the end of the day, it is about you feeling comfortable and being able to complete tasks with ease, not having to worry about or fuss with your clothes throughout the day.

Hope that helps :)

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Does anyone know the general dress code for vac schemes? I have a friend in finance who got judged for not having an expensive suit 😭😭
    Was this Harvey Specter from suits dishing out that comment?? We all know everyone is born with the cash for a bespoke savile row suit! Also, if you don’t know, be conservative. Suit, shirt, tie. Done. It’s very simple:) . Dress codes are getting more and more relaxed in the UK I’d say.

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
    Mar 1, 2021
    In general does anyone have advice regarding dress code for women on a vac scheme? Can skirts be above the knee (not high though), do you have to wear heels or can you wear smart shoes like loafers? Alsooo can you wear tight clothing (appropriate ofc)? Just stressing about this currently 😭
    I will literally fall and stack it if I wear heels or at the very least will walk very embarrassingly so it'll be flat shoes for me. am with you tho - trying to work out what is appropriate but feel like/hoping people won't be too judgy

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.