TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Anyone heard back from V&E post-interview? Or is everyone else waiting too?

don’t think anyone’s heard back yet. but also completely expecting a rejection. i made like 3 inappropriate jokes, cut off a partner mid sentence, and basically couldnt remember anything i’d prepared due to sheer nervousness. lmao im toast

• 🤝
Reactions: kr253, GXA123 and M991

Cantab_95

Legendary Member
Sep 19, 2019
don’t think anyone’s heard back yet. but also completely expecting a rejection. i made like 3 inappropriate jokes, cut off a partner mid sentence, and basically couldnt remember anything i’d prepared due to sheer nervousness. lmao im toast
Same here re hearing back. I interviewed just under 2 weeks ago now, would be great to hear back this week but have a feeling this might run until the end of March - certainly the coolest office I’ve seen!

Reactions: Adrian_S

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Had trouble finding the answer to this, but after an interview/AC, do recruiters consider how a candidate has performed at various stages of the application process before making them an offer (or do they just consider AC/interview performance)? Wondering if @Jessica Booker might know.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Had trouble finding the answer to this, but after an interview/AC, do recruiters consider how a candidate has performed at various stages of the application process before making them an offer (or do they just consider AC/interview performance)? Wondering if @Jessica Booker might know.
That information can still be considered. For instance, if you have had a borderline performance in an exercise or competency, they may look back at earlier stages to see if there is evidence elsewhere that supports the decision (which ever way it goes). For instance, I had many instances where a written exercise wasn't ideal, and so we would look back at the pyschometric assessments (which then was a verbal reasoning assessment) and written style of their application to see if there were any concerns there. If there were, it tended to push a decision to a no, while if they were strong, it might push it to a yes.

However, I would say in most instances, this approach isn't needed. You can typically make a decision just based on the latest assessments you have undertaken. If a candidate has made it through the earlier stages, there is a minimum benchmark they have met anyway (and that tends to be quite high) and so trying to benchmark candidates based on their earlier performances is a bit futile as they are often quite similar.

• ℹ️

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
That information can still be considered. For instance, if you have had a borderline performance in an exercise or competency, they may look back at earlier stages to see if there is evidence elsewhere that supports the decision (which ever way it goes). For instance, I had many instances where a written exercise wasn't ideal, and so we would look back at the pyschometric assessments (which then was a verbal reasoning assessment) and written style of their application to see if there were any concerns there. If there were, it tended to push a decision to a no, while if they were strong, it might push it to a yes.

However, I would say in most instances, this approach isn't needed. You can typically make a decision just based on the latest assessments you have undertaken. If a candidate has made it through the earlier stages, there is a minimum benchmark they have met anyway (and that tends to be quite high) and so trying to benchmark candidates based on their earlier performances is a bit futile as they are often quite similar.

Thank you Jessica! Helpful as always!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst- you gave it a good shot and as cliché as it sounds, that's really all that matters at the end of the day. Rooting for you 🤞

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Anyone have any experience with being offered a VS but being unable to do it due to working a full time job? Do the firm still let you have your training contract interview or are you cut completely?
Do they recruit through direct TCs? If yes, you could ask to be shifted on to it. If that's not possible, I'd be prepared to either give up the VS or speak to your employer about taking unpaid leave to do the VS (if there is not conflict of interest, that is).

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
is it true some law firms do not read some applications if they have already filled a quota?
Varies from firm to firm but some firms have policies around filling places internally before they open to external candidates. If they fill all places internally, they'll not consider external applications. Or some will not consider direct TC apps if all positions have been filled with VS candidates.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
You guys are starting to make me wish I’d cracked a few jokes for good measure..

it’s probably best you didn’t. @Homer ‘s joke was actually funny and may have even landed.

in my case, none of them landed (SO WERE THEY EVEN JOKES?) and, combined with my lackluster interview performance, they likely came off as entirely misplaced.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
it’s probably best you didn’t. @Homer ‘s joke was actually funny and may have even landed.

in my case, none of them landed (SO WERE THEY EVEN JOKES?) and, combined with my lackluster interview performance, they likely came off as entirely misplaced.
Well, I few months ago I had an interview (always looking for opportunities and practice makes you better at interviews)..I did a a joke which was funny in my head (I am a terrible person)..whooo it did not land! I am still laughing tho!

• Haha
  • 🏆
Reactions: Lawbour and Adrian_S
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.