TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2000

Nov 10, 2021
Hiya guys, so this isn’t technically an application review request/question, but I’m wondering if TCLA reviews postgraduate/LPC application personal statements?

Or separately, are there any resources that anyone knows of that could help guide me in what to include?
I’m thinking of structuring it somewhat like a cover letter - why law, why the uni, why me. But geared towards an LPC. - Is this about right? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

On another note, went to a careers talk last night at the university of law (in person omg) and I went in with the idea of - “I’m doing the SQE, what’s the point of doing the LPC” etc , and it was a bit bizarre at how strongly they were suggesting still doing the LPC.
Someone asked “what about firms that are already transitioning out of the LPC, isn’t it redundant?” and the Dean said “even if you have to do SQE 2 in addition to the LPC- in his opinion this was a preferable route to take as so many law firms are confused about the technical aspects of the SQE and are more comfortable with the LPC”.
(I’m paraphrasing, but the gist was - I don’t see why you would go down the route of the experimental SQE, when the LPC remains an option for those of you who started pre 2021).

He did remain objective saying if anyone DID want to do the SQE he would stay later and discuss it, but everyone in the room was only interested in the LPC.

It was very interesting as I thought providers would be taking the opposite stance and be pushing the SQE, but it seemed their personal opinions were very much still stuck on the LPC.

*this is in no way meant to sway anyones opinions re SQE and LPC and I sincerely don’t know enough about what law firms want to comment !!!
just thought it was interesting :)
And a little bit of gossip lol
I actually sat SQE 1 back in November and have been just fine getting through a number of application stages for firms. Most of them are clearly gearing up for SQE intakes as from this year they’re getting applications from all the people who only have the SQE as a choice.

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For anyone who has not done well in applications, this cycle don't worry here is why.

Yesterday I attended a networking event and on my way back some guy came up to me on the train and said you are Asil right and I was suspicious at first but then he said he knows me from Linkedin.

We started talking about applications and stuff and he is a future trainee solicitor at Slaughter and May and he said that when he had his Slaughter and May interview they told him that the application numbers this cycle has gone up so high that everyone from every sector is now getting into corporate law. He said don't be hard on yourself as you might have got a TC 2 years ago but this cycle the application demand has gone up so much that it is crazy. Also, he said that the application demand for consulting is a lot worse than corporate law.

I just want to ask a question do you lot think the application demand will still be this high next application or will it increase even more or will the number of applications go down a bit next application cycle.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker is much better placed to answer this than me but my understanding is that most firms will score candidates and rank them. Often candidates are accepted/rejected on very fine margins.
    There will be a minimum standard that candidates will have to meet and therefore there will be a pass/fail basis. But typically there is some kind of loose ranking that may impact the borderline candidates. That is where the fine margins can come in, with the people that just miss out compared to those who just get in.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys, about how long post AC should one wait for before contacting grad rec? Had an AC more than a month ago and still silence. Also, are PFOs post-ACs usually emailed or called?
    If its a month, definitely contact them and ask when you will hear back.

Typically PFOs are done via email although some firms do call.

Reactions: James Carrabino

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

Sorry to bother but it is my first time where I am asked to identify the firm's competitors.
    While I can easily identify competitors when it comes to practice areas, I still have doubts when it comes to other aspects.

For example, if the firm follows a specific international and growth strategy how do you find its competitors?If I want to take into account the firm's small intake can I compare against firms with larger intakes?
    Plus, should I mention why the points I made are relevant to me?

Help a fellow aspiring solicitor

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,

Sorry to bother but it is my first time where I am asked to identify the firm's competitors.
    While I can easily identify competitors when it comes to practice areas, I still have doubts when it comes to other aspects.

For example, if the firm follows a specific international and growth strategy how do you find its competitors?If I want to take into account the firm's small intake can I compare against firms with larger intakes?
    Plus, should I mention why the points I made are relevant to me?

Help a fellow aspiring solicitor
    I personally wouldn't consider trainee intake size as something that would directly mean someone is a competitor or not, even if you took it as a "competitor for talent". I think it really relates to competing for clients. However, if a firm has a specific international growth strategy, that might mean they have new competitors in that region/location. So I'd be looking at what other firms are servicing those regions in the same type of practice areas or sectors as the firm wants to go into in these locations.

You don't really need to tie the points to you for this type of question though.

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    @Jessica Booker Is it feasible that a firm will consider that a candidate has other vacation schemes in their decision making process. For example, when assessing video interview candidates, if GR sees that a strong candidate has 2 other vac schemes on there LinkedIn profile, could that work against the candidate in the sense that it suggests they would be less likely to sign a TC at the firm (should they be progressed)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Is it feasible that a firm will consider that a candidate has other vacation schemes in their decision making process. For example, when assessing video interview candidates, if GR sees that a strong candidate has 2 other vac schemes on there LinkedIn profile, could that work against the candidate in the sense that it suggests they would be less likely to sign a TC at the firm (should they be progressed)?
    I don't think they would look at their LinkedIn profile as this is not something that can be done consistently and just takes too much time.

People literally just watch the video interview and at best may refer back to your application rather than seeking out other external information.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I personally wouldn't consider trainee intake size as something that would directly mean someone is a competitor or not, even if you took it as a "competitor for talent". I think it really relates to competing for clients. However, if a firm has a specific international growth strategy, that might mean they have new competitors in that region/location. So I'd be looking at what other firms are servicing those regions in the same type of practice areas or sectors as the firm wants to go into in these locations.

You don't really need to tie the points to you for this type of question though.
    Thank you Jessica

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.