TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ar2r

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
I have an anxiety disorder and this has really been affecting my performance at ACs.. think I should give up ahaha

Hey I have an anxiety order too and I know exactly how you feel! I haven’t had a vac scheme offer yet because of it (I think) where in my first AC, they said (in my feedback) I was so nervous I couldn’t even form sentences properly!

I’ve had 3 ACs now and I’ve seen how much I’ve improved with handling my anxiety, even if I haven’t had an offer yet. I think it just takes time and we should be proud of ourselves for going out of our comfort zones and pushing the limits. In all due time, when it’s right, things will happen for us. We just need to keep going!

if you ever need to talk to someone about it feel free to dm me! Mental health during this process is really difficult and I feel like talking about it is the only way to get through it! :)
I completely agree with @Ambs123. The feedback I had from my first AC was exactly the same, i messed up so many 'easy' questions bc of how anxious i felt, I genuinely couldn't speak properly. I now have a SoRA in place at university which gives me 25% extra time on exams. I asked firms if they could apply this to my assessment day exercises and they were all really supportive about it etc, which reduced my anxiety surrounding ACs (although it doesn't really help with interviews as much). Practice is deffo what helped reduce my anxiety the most, either with friends/ in the mirror/ recording yourself saying answers or through trial and error/ success in ACs! :) hope this is helpful xx

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I have an anxiety disorder and this has really been affecting my performance at ACs.. think I should give up ahaha
Something that I have found has helped me with the anxiety and stress of ACs is to remind myself that the worst result that can happen from the AC is no TC or VS offer. Which in reality is disappointing but not that awful because my current position at the point of the AC is that I don’t have that opportunity and I actually quite like a lot about my life! So by doing the AC I am not losing anything at all it just has the potential for gain.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I wanted to ask has there been a thread made for the recent merger between Clyde and Co and BLM as I was thinking of starting a thread if there is not a thread yet.

I want to discuss the impact of this merger on many things such as training contract applications.
Training is unlikely to be impacted..as BLM is going to disappear.
A number of lawyers from both firms left, BLM is a very good bite. Everyone thinks that BLM was such a small player, they pay rubbish but they are very good in the insurance sector and they are on some excellent legal panels..like direct line!
Plus they are more sought than DWF because the latter charges a lot of money for the same job!

Reactions: Lawbour

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Has anyone had experience with a fieldfisher telephone interview? - Could I ask what sort of stuff they ask and what I should be preparing?
    Just a word of warning, my interview was slated as a telephone interview but it was, in fact, video conferencing.

It was generic motivational and competencies style questions. They have a set list of questions and don't often ask many follow-ups either.

oldafstudent

Premium Member
    Mar 4, 2022
    Hey everyone!

I have a vacation scheme starting on Monday and it is thankfully a hybrid scheme in which some days are virtual days. This works out great for my normal work schedule as I will have to commute back and forth from Edinburgh a few times during the scheme.

They have released the schedule and the days end at 5:30, but out of everyone's experience here, will there likely be informal/'you should go' dinners/drinks after? For example, I can take a flight at 9pm on Wednesday, but was curious as to whether I should wait until Thursday morning (before work of course).

Thanks!

Reactions: George Maxwell

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Any word from V&E anyone? Three weeks today since I interviewed
    None! I interviewed on the 15th. I'm going to wait until 1st April to ask, but the wait is killing me.

Bored Daily Show GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.