TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Generally speaking, is it beneficial to go into your vac scheme department with a solid understanding of an area or is this not necessary to do well? For example, I don’t know much at all about tax law but if I were to choose this department in a VS, would my lack of knowledge put me at any disadvantage?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
I think it's more important to be enthusiastic to learn and build your knowledge about that department rather than to demonstrate a solid understanding from the get go. There's nothing wrong with wanting to develop a solid understanding, I just wouldn't stress it if you weren't able to do it pre-VS and if it's not something your firm expects you to know.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Just got a V&E vac scheme offer. My first ever vac scheme.

This last year has been rough for a variety of personal reasons - this week was especially difficult, as a family member passed away suddenly. But I just wanted to thank each one of you who've posted something that's made me laugh, smile, and feel supported. I hope I've been able to do that for some of you, as well.
So, so happy for you!!! Very well deserved. You have been absolutely amazing on the forum and I hope you'll keep us clued into what happens with your VS (and beyond!).

Wishing you the very best 😇😇😇

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I am currently trying to refine my answer where I am trying to describe the firm's growth strategy and compare to other mid-sized firms, do I need to drop a specific competitors?
You don't need to drop specific competitors (especially if it's not helping you answer the question you've been asked)- you can choose to focus on the growth strategy and what makes it stand out on its own and you'll still have a strong answer.

Reactions: S87 and curious_cat

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Finished my AC. Feel like my negotiation was a bit of a car crash… my partner just did not give me the opportunity to respond to anything in the negotiation and was super dominant and I feel quite upset that I didn’t get the opportunity to say my piece.

I hope so, I do think the did pick up on it from
Something they did at the end of the exercise but it just feels really frustrating not to get a real opportunity to negotiate!
You gave it a good shot and that's really the best you can do. I've had some really bad car-crash looking interviews result in a job offer so I wouldn't count myself out of the race yet (while not maintaining unrealistic hopes either 😅). Hope everything works out well🤞

PM2021

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
Hey! I was wondering if anyone knew which firms have a good chance of taking direct TC intakes? My apologies if this question has been answered before, but it would be really helpful to me.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just got a V&E vac scheme offer. My first ever vac scheme.

This last year has been rough for a variety of personal reasons - this week was especially difficult, as a family member passed away suddenly. But I just wanted to thank every one of you who has posted something that's made me laugh, smile, and feel supported. I hope I've been able to do that for some of you, as well.
    Delighted for you. Well done :)

• Love
    Reactions: GXA123 and Adrian_S

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Any advice on how to not be a nervous wreck on your vac scheme? I think it’s my barrier to not doing well. Seriously thinking of taking a shot of vodka each morning at this point just to stop the jitters :D
    At some point during app season I just accepted that I was nervous and took it as a sign of me caring about my career (which I guess is a good thing?😅)

Also try clueing in those around you as to how you're feeling. It can be hard to open up when you're feeling vulnerable but oftentimes that's when you need to most.

Would also suggest that you do things to decompress every day of your VS- whether it's watching a movie, going for a walk, doing a hobby that calms you- whatever helps.

Wishing you the best- you've got this! 💪

boateng_l

Apr 1, 2022
    Mishcon case study invite!
    really thought I was done with this cycle, because my Mishcon VI went so poorly so I'd ruled it out. I guess Im back in the game 😂
    Here We Go Dragon GIF by CBC
    Hi! I’ve just been invited to VI. Would you mind saying how many and the types (competency/motivational/situational) of questions you got in your Mischon VI?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.