TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    This sounds like (and probably is - just pre vac scheme nerves!!) a stupid question but tomorrow is the first day of my vac scheme and they said to be in the office for 9:15, for a 9:30 start. Should you come in 10 minutes early or just be there couple mins/on time?

Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This sounds like (and probably is - just pre vac scheme nerves!!) a stupid question but tomorrow is the first day of my vac scheme and they said to be in the office for 9:15, for a 9:30 start. Should you come in 10 minutes early or just be there couple mins/on time?
    The 9.15 is giving you a buffer for the 9.30 start. But if you want, get close to the office earlier and grab yourself a coffee or something nearby. There is no point turning up to the office much before 9.15.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you are well! Are vac schemers generally given any "real work" on the first day, or is it usually just about getting to know everyone, IT training, etc.?
    First day just tends to be introductions and a load of admin.

Even if you are given work, there is little chance that work will need to be returned that day/the next morning - it would most likely to be something you had time to work on during the rest of the week.

• Love
    Reactions: M991

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    @George Maxwell I start my vac scheme with HSF tomorrow and was just wondering what is an acceptable time to leave the office? How late should we be staying, and when is too early to leave?
    Hey @aspiringlawyer123_,

That's awesome news! I will likely be meeting you later in the week then (come and say hello!) as all future trainees have been invited to a quiz at the office.

I agree with what @Jessica Booker has said on this. If I were me, I would ask my trainee buddy and supervisor. I would really emphasise that it is important that you listen to what they say too.

HSF is not a firm that will be impressed if you work late into the night against the advice of your supervisor. Ultimately your supervisor's feedback will determine whether or not you get the TC too and they will not be trying to catch you out.

In my experience, I was told that working extremely would just imply that I had not managed my time well. The firm wants vacation schemers to work in a sustainably and healthy way. Do not feel afraid to leave when you have finished your work. As Jess says, 1730 sounds like a sensible time to aim for!

Please do reach out if you have any further question too! I am excited for you.

How are you feeling ahead of starting @aspiringlawyer123_? Are you staying in London for the duration?

Reactions: Hele25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Will the expectation be the same in all types of firms?

Asking particularly in the context of US firms where lawyers tend to work longer hours. Will VS students who leave at 1730 be seen as unsuitable for their norms and culture?
    Yes. The expectation is the same across firms.

There is no need to stay late unless there is work to do. If you have concluded your work for the day, ask your supervisor if there is anything else you can help with for that day and if they say no, you leave.

Sitting around doing nothing and distracting other people will be a much bigger risk than going home.

Obviously if your supervisor has given you work to do and you need to do it to meet the deadlines set, then stay later. At firms where the culture is known to be late hours, then you might find your supervisor has given you work that means you have to stay later.

This is going to sound brutal, but many supervisors will want you to leave for the day so they can focus on their work. Looking after a VSer is hard work and can often be a massive distraction - getting a few hours to themselves at the end of the day probably helps them deliver the work they need to do (and that you can’t help them with). If your supervisor tells you there is nothing to help them with for the rest of the day and it’s gone beyond your contracted hours, go home!

If you are still worried use the “after your contracted hours” period to catch up with other VSers, organise end of day coffee catch up with employees in parts of the business you want to find more about, or go to a communal area and do things like write up a day’s journal of a summary of what you learnt from the day/do some reading.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.