TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    If you don’t find out your seats till the VS starts, is there anything to actually prep in advance, except brushing up on your knowledge of the firm?
    I would say the best thing to do is identify who you want to meet for a potential coffee or something. That way come the first day when you have you timetables etc you can start sending emails and arranging times to fit around your schedules (even if they are not in the seats you are doing in your vac scheme)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have been offered an interview for a legal role within a small tech start up (I a recent law graduate who has not completed the LPC), I thought that this would count as legal work experience. However, I was told by a friend today that they didn't think this would help my direct TC applications. Does anyone have any thoughts?
    I can’t see how it won’t help TC applications. You’ll get a better understanding area of an important growth area of the sector and are likely to develop transferable skills

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hey, I graduated in 2021 and this vacation scheme cycle really hasn't gone well for me as it is looking like I will come out with no offers. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on to do next, I have found the past month to be a massive struggle mentally and have been trying to apply for paralegal roles and not having much success now too. Is it useful to get more legal experience now? In applying for the next cycle, am I too old now that I would be over a year after I've graduated? I didn't know if this is the right place to ask this but have been stressing for a while and don't really know who else to ask. I am feeling pretty stuck at the moment (this was my first cycle too)
    Hi @green124 I would not worry at all about your situation as there are many applicants who graduated from university 5+ years ago, plus there are still a lot of firms you can apply to this cycle (especially for direct TC)! Check out @AvniD's thread about things to consider when applying directly for TCs.

Both @AvniD and I received our TC offers through the direct route it is especially important to mention that I have several friends who received direct TC offers with no legal work experience, including one who was rejected from every vacation scheme they applied to.

Try not to stress out too much and find something that you enjoy doing in the meantime, whether that is a paralegal role, another course of study or something else altogether!

I am sure we will be congratulating you on your TC offer soon enough :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: S30 and Hele25

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I am completing an application for a summer work placement at a local regional firm. Rather than being online, the application process requires you to fill out an application form (education/work history) and email it. I was wondering whether it would generally be recommended to also include a cover letter for such an application (the application website does not mention one)?
    Hi @A494,

If the application does not ask for a cover letter, then I would be inclined not to include a formal cover letter attachment, but instead you could use the body of the e-mail to write a short 'cover e-mail' in effect, where you outline your interest in the position and experiences.

I hope that is helpful :)

Reactions: A494

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    I love the WBD Dickinson tests, I wish some of the games were a normal app and I could play them again lol
    .. in saying that, I am always slightly sceptical of how accurate the results are/ how the games are designed to tell you these things.
    I got: decision making, emotion and fairness as my 'unique' results, which are different to last year.
    Are they the sort of thing it's better to do on a phone rather than a laptop do you reckon? I know you can do them on either

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Are they the sort of thing it's better to do on a phone rather than a laptop do you reckon? I know you can do them on either
    You can do them on a phone or a laptop, just not a tablet as the format is incompatible with the programme. I found them easy to do on a phone as it really is set up like a game, that’s personal preference though as they work on either :) good luck!

Reactions: kr253

DXXXX

Standard Member
    May 6, 2019
    FBD AC! Any help would or pointing to TCLA resources would be super useful!

I Need It Reaction GIF
    Happy to say I've been offered a TC with Freshfields :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.