TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have any advice on what to do if you have been given a vac scheme but the dates conflict with another? Should i ask to be considered for a direct TC as I can only do one week of the vac scheme.
Call the second preference firm and ask whether:

1) There are alternative scheme dates
2) You can only attend part of the scheme
or
3) Whether you can be considered for a direct TC process instead.

If it is no to all of the above, then consider doing the same with your preferred firm.

Salin

Sep 10, 2021
Hey guys, this is my first ever time posting. I heard back from Trowers today receiving my first vacation scheme!!! I’m over the moon and it’s all thanks to this forum. It’s gotten me through such hard times and so I’m so thankful for this community created. My next goal is to convert this into a training contract, so I’ll give it my best shot!!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Wanted to give a shoutout to @James Carrabino and @AvniD for doing a really great webinar. \Really great advice and really inspiring to hear about the direct TC route I never thought the direct TC route was as easy as you made it as most people go down the VS route.

Also well done on doing the webinar as it must have been hard for both of you and being nervous doing a webinar and you lot did a good job please can you both do another webinar together but maybe on assessment centres as your advice was so helpful and so inspiring.
@Asil Ahmad fantastic to hear that you enjoyed the webinar so much. It sounds like @AvniD and @James Carrabino smashed it!

As someone who didn't make it this time, I would be really interested to hear your main takeaways? Was there anything that you thought particularly stood out about the webinar in comparison to others that you have attended too?

• Love
Reactions: James Carrabino

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Does anyone have any advice on what to do if you have been given a vac scheme but the dates conflict with another? Should i ask to be considered for a direct TC as I can only do one week of the vac scheme.
Hey @Han.louise,

Just to add to what @Jessica Booker has already said - I was in this position too and from experience you really do not lose anything from asking. Always ask these sorts of questions (i.e., is it possible to be moved to another VS etc.) because then you can make the most informed choice possible about your future. Firms will not be upset or hold it against if they find out that you are interested in other firms. This happens all the time.

Let us know what you end up doing though. Fingers crossed you are able to do both 🙌

Reactions: Han.louise

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hey guys, this is my first ever time posting. I heard back from Trowers today receiving my first vacation scheme!!! I’m over the moon and it’s all thanks to this forum. It’s gotten me through such hard times and so I’m so thankful for this community created. My next goal is to convert this into a training contract, so I’ll give it my best shot!!
Congratulations @Salin!

Do let me, @James Carrabino, @AvniD or @Jessica Booker know if you would like any help prior to or during your scheme!

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Starting my VS next Monday😭feeling nervous AF
    For non-law students is there anything we need to know beforehand (e.g., legal research etc)? Also how does networking actually work - do you just bump into people and talk...? Do people usually talk about commercial related or more personal stuff?
    Really appreciate any tips😳

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    For non-law students is there anything we need to know beforehand (e.g., legal research etc)? Also how does networking actually work - do you just bump into people and talk...? Do people usually talk about commercial related or more personal stuff?
    I am currently on my vac scheme (though virtually) and I am also non-law! I haven't felt like I needed to know anything specific, just go in open-mindedly and enjoy the experience. It's good to know about the firm, their main areas and a few things you are interested in/want to learn as that makes the first few days a bit easier (and something I should have done!). Re networking, I think it may be similar to online. I went through my trainee buddy and associate mentor who got me in contact with lawyers in those specific areas of interest. Or alternatively follow-up with those who do talks for the vacation scheme or do your own research and contact people you find on the firm website (though its likely you won't get as quick a response!) Hope this helps :D

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    In terms of what to talk about - I would personally approach it like a normal conversation if it's an informal networking session. Of course, find out any information you want from the person you're speaking with, but quite often people just want to work with someone who they can see themselves getting on with.

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    In terms of what to talk about - I would personally approach it like a normal conversation if it's an informal networking session. Of course, find out any information you want from the person you're speaking with, but quite often people just want to work with someone who they can see themselves getting on with.
    I also found that lawyers very much like talking about themselves and their work so I haven't had to awkwardly ask questions it tends to be quite a natural conversation!

Reactions: OB and Kubed

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    I am currently on my vac scheme (though virtually) and I am also non-law! I haven't felt like I needed to know anything specific, just go in open-mindedly and enjoy the experience. It's good to know about the firm, their main areas and a few things you are interested in/want to learn as that makes the first few days a bit easier (and something I should have done!). Re networking, I think it may be similar to online. I went through my trainee buddy and associate mentor who got me in contact with lawyers in those specific areas of interest. Or alternatively follow-up with those who do talks for the vacation scheme or do your own research and contact people you find on the firm website (though its likely you won't get as quick a response!) Hope this helps :D
    Thank you guys so much!!

• Love
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey @YUKI1201,

So in my experience (as a non-law student) firms (and supervisors) tend to presume that you do not have much (if any) legal knowledge. This is firm dependent, but my supervisors were often surprised when I demonstrated any legal knowledge. I have heard of some supervisors being less forgiving and of firms who do expect some level of legal knowledge from non-law students (e.g., K&E). All this is anecdotal.

I would really recommend Jake Schogger's Training Contract Handbook (if it isn't too late to order)! Other than that though, just knowing your CV and application very well is a great start (as your supervisor/buddy will likely be given your CV to gain an idea of your background and might ask you about it informally). Refresh your knowledge of the firm too if you can and try to do some research around the big deals involving the practice area(s) you are due to sit in as this may help to contextualise the work you do. I found that lawyers often made references to notable/significant recent deals in meetings that I sat in on.

With regards to networking, @thirdtimelucky has just provided you with some great thoughts on this. I spoke about this a little in this post, which you might find helpful. My advice really is to be proactive on this and to take advantage of being able to speak with lots of lawyers etc. If you can think about the areas or deals that pique your interest before your scheme (and then you mention this to your supervisor/buddy ahead of the scheme) you might be put in touch with someone related to this.

I also agree with @Kubed on speaking with people. Try not to ask questions for the sake of it- lean into your interest and be your authentic self. I found that lawyers appreciated that I had the confidence to be myself rather than trying to be impressive (or just being fake)

Reactions: Kubed

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Hey @YUKI1201,

So in my experience (as a non-law student) firms (and supervisors) tend to presume that you do not have much (if any) legal knowledge. This is firm dependent, but my supervisors were often surprised when I demonstrated any legal knowledge. I have heard of some supervisors being less forgiving and of firms who do expect some level of legal knowledge from non-law students (e.g., K&E). All this is anecdotal.

I would really recommend Jake Schogger's Training Contract Handbook (if it isn't too late to order)! Other than that though, just knowing your CV and application very well is a great start (as your supervisor/buddy will likely be given your CV to gain an idea of your background and might ask you about it informally). Refresh your knowledge of the firm too if you can and try to do some research around the big deals involving the practice area(s) you are due to sit in as this may help to contextualise the work you do. I found that lawyers often made references to notable/significant recent deals in meetings that I sat in on.

With regards to networking, @thirdtimelucky has just provided you with some great thoughts on this. I spoke about this a little in this post, which you might find helpful. My advice really is to be proactive on this and to take advantage of being able to speak with lots of lawyers etc. If you can think about the areas or deals that pique your interest before your scheme (and then you mention this to your supervisor/buddy ahead of the scheme) you might be put in touch with someone related to this.

I also agree with @Kubed on speaking with people. Try not to ask questions for the sake of it- lean into your interest and be your authentic self. I found that lawyers appreciated that I had the confidence to be myself rather than trying to be impressive (or just being fake)
    Thank you George for your amazing advice - now I'm calming down a lot haha!

Reactions: George Maxwell

cecily78900

Standard Member
    Mar 2, 2022
    Hey, I have just had a paralegal interview - is it necessary to send a thank you email? This is something I had never done for a vacation scheme interview in the past, and I was wondering if this would have seemed rude?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey, I have just had a paralegal interview - is it necessary to send a thank you email? This is something I had never done for a vacation scheme interview in the past, and I was wondering if this would have seemed rude?
    You don’t have to do it. You can at the same time, it really won’t matter either way though.

AnxietyBundle

• Apr 7, 2022
    congratulations! If you don’t mind me asking, did you hear back via call or email?

Salin

Sep 10, 2021
    Congratulations @Salin!

Do let me, @James Carrabino, @AvniD or @Jessica Booker know if you would like any help prior to or during your scheme!
    Thank you so much, I will definitely take you guys up on that offer!! Is there anything I should currently be doing specifically, besides keeping commercially aware etc. (VS is in June and I’m a non law student). Many thanks again everyone!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.