TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
White & Case are really going to give summer vacation scheme places the day before it starts.
I remember when I applied for the Open Day, which is one of the more competitive Open Days to get onto, I applied over a month in advance and received my invitation to the Open Day at around 7pm the evening before the Open Day (which started at 9am) 🤣 Always remember that it's not a PFO until it's a PFO!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi everyone! I have a quick question regarding the LPC. I have received offers for both BPP and ULaw and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make the choice. I was leaning more towards ULaw but I know that BPP has more partnerships with big-city law firms so I was unsure whether this might affect my applications later on... any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Here are some recent threads on the topic that I have found:

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: AvniD, lawstudent1111 and Asil Ahmad

lawstudent1111

Premium Member
Aug 22, 2021
I know there is a thread here on this forum about this if I can find it I will post it.
Here are some recent threads on the topic that I have found:
Thank you so much!

lawstudent1111

Premium Member
Aug 22, 2021
Law firms don’t care where you do your LPC. It really won’t have any impact on future applications whether you choose one or the other (or any other LPC institution).

The only thing I would stress is how viable the LPC as a course (no matter who the provider is) will be. With many firms changing to the SQE in either 2023 or 2024, the LPC has a very short lifespan span, and it’s only really if you are looking to start a TC in 2023 that I think it is a good idea to pursue it.

The only good thing is that it will give you an exemption from SQE1, but that is a very expensive and longwinded way of getting an exemption.
Hi Jessica! Thank you so much for your reply!

I am in my final year of my qualifying law degree and I have applied for the LPC as I have not been able to secure any vacation schemes or training contracts and was thus considering self funding the LPC and then applying again for vacations schemes/training contracts in the next cycle.

However, I can understand your point about the LPC not being very viable as a course, especially considering its cost, and that as you say many firms will be changing to the SQE in either 2023 or 2024. One of my main worries is not being able to secure a TC right after my LPC and even if I do secure one that firms will have switched to the SQE by then and I would have spent a lot of money on nothing.

Thus I wanted to ask you, in the case that firms do make the switch in 2023/2024, what you would suggest someone in a position like mine to do next year? Of course I am still trying to find other work options and sending applications but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I understand if this is not your area of expertise and thank you for your time in advance!

curious_cat

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 21, 2021
when you do group exercises, what are the first words usually spoken? Do people assign roles to themselves like PM/note taker/time keeper or just get straight into discussing the task without worrying about formal titles?
I would say that you can think about allocating roles but do think about the content you're going to speak about too. Often times, the note taker/timekeeper focuses too much on their role and ends up missing the juicy bits of the presentation because someone else volunteered before them. But do remember that you are usually being observed in the group exercise so speak up when needed, be collaborative and offer to help others out with their point too.

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021

I am in my final year of my qualifying law degree and I have applied for the LPC as I have not been able to secure any vacation schemes or training contracts and was thus considering self funding the LPC and then applying again for vacations schemes/training contracts in the next cycle.

However, I can understand your point about the LPC not being very viable as a course, especially considering its cost, and that as you say many firms will be changing to the SQE in either 2023 or 2024. One of my main worries is not being able to secure a TC right after my LPC and even if I do secure one that firms will have switched to the SQE by then and I would have spent a lot of money on nothing.

Thus I wanted to ask you, in the case that firms do make the switch in 2023/2024, what you would suggest someone in a position like mine to do next year? Of course I am still trying to find other work options and sending applications but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I understand if this is not your area of expertise and thank you for your time in advance!
Hi @lawstudent1111

I completely agree with everything @Jessica Booker said in her post. My advice would be to work after you graduate, rather than spend a huge amount of money on the LPC, when you don't need to. Remember that most law firms will pay for your LPC/SQE but few reimburse.

Thanks
Gemma

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

It technically won't be for nothing - it will give you an exemption for SQE1 which means you could skip some of the prep (probably do a shorter prep course just focused on SQE2) and would obviously not have to pay out for the SQE 1 exams or prep course.

I just think this is a really expensive and time consuming way of getting an exemption.

Most firms are moving to the SQE by 2023 or 2024 because there will be such a small pipeline of talent who are still eligible to take the LPC route by 2024. By 2023 no non-law grads will be able to qualify via the LPC route unless they have done a part-time GDL or have deferred exams. In addition, many firms are not offering the option of how to qualify for those who have got a choice because trainees could ultimately be dealt with very differently. It is easier for many firms to just transition everyone over to the SQE to ensure consistency in how the trainees are managed.

I think my advice is to hold off until the late summer before making any decisions. LPC providers are notorious for piling on the pressure for you to commit early but put frankly, they never sell these courses out, and will really struggle to do so now the courses are on their way out. They are always advertising the courses weeks before they start in the late summer/early autumn. They will often try to sell the courses with early discounts etc to get people to commit when ultimately there is no need to do this. I would continue applying over the summer, see how your applications go, and then make a decision as to whether the LPC or the SQE is the right route for you.

If you go into the autumn recruitment cycle, a lot of firms will be recruiting for 2024/25 by that point, and I think it would be worthwhile checking which firms you want to apply to and whether they have moved across to the SQE or not to help inform your decision on what to do.

s10

Distinguished Member
Oct 1, 2020
During a vacation scheme, are you required to inform grad rec if you have arranged coffee catch-up's with associates and partners? I ask because I understand there can be hundreds of lawyers at a firm and not all of them will have the opportunity to get in touch with grad rec and let them know that you have shown initiative or interest in their practice areas.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
During a vacation scheme, are you required to inform grad rec if you have arranged coffee catch-up's with associates and partners? I ask because I understand there can be hundreds of lawyers at a firm and not all of them will have the opportunity to get in touch with grad rec and let them know that you have shown initiative or interest in their practice areas.
No - you don't need to tell Grad Rec/HR and there is little point of informing them. The purpose of a coffee catch up is not to demonstrate to HR/Grad Rec that you have shown initiative or interest, it is for your benefit only to help you understand more about the firm.

Reactions: s10

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In answering the question ‘tell us about a time you demonstrated commercial awareness’ is a good answer to talk about being runner-up in a commercial awareness article writing competition, or are they looking for a more real-world example?
@Jessica Booker
You could use the competition and I have seen such answers work well. But I think you really need to demonstrate how you applied commercial thinking (try to think of this more as your unique/innovative/creative thinking in a commercial context rather than applying factual knowledge) rather than explain the process of the competition for such an answer to really work.

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2022
I would say that you can think about allocating roles but do think about the content you're going to speak about too. Often times, the note taker/timekeeper focuses too much on their role and ends up missing the juicy bits of the presentation because someone else volunteered before them. But do remember that you are usually being observed in the group exercise so speak up when needed, be collaborative and offer to help others out with their point too.
Thanks Cat!

Reactions: curious_cat

lawstudent1111

Premium Member
Aug 22, 2021
Hi @lawstudent1111

I completely agree with everything @Jessica Booker said in her post. My advice would be to work after you graduate, rather than spend a huge amount of money on the LPC, when you don't need to. Remember that most law firms will pay for your LPC/SQE but few reimburse.

Thanks
Gemma
It technically won't be for nothing - it will give you an exemption for SQE1 which means you could skip some of the prep (probably do a shorter prep course just focused on SQE2) and would obviously not have to pay out for the SQE 1 exams or prep course.

I just think this is a really expensive and time consuming way of getting an exemption.

Most firms are moving to the SQE by 2023 or 2024 because there will be such a small pipeline of talent who are still eligible to take the LPC route by 2024. By 2023 no non-law grads will be able to qualify via the LPC route unless they have done a part-time GDL or have deferred exams. In addition, many firms are not offering the option of how to qualify for those who have got a choice because trainees could ultimately be dealt with very differently. It is easier for many firms to just transition everyone over to the SQE to ensure consistency in how the trainees are managed.

I think my advice is to hold off until the late summer before making any decisions. LPC providers are notorious for piling on the pressure for you to commit early but put frankly, they never sell these courses out, and will really struggle to do so now the courses are on their way out. They are always advertising the courses weeks before they start in the late summer/early autumn. They will often try to sell the courses with early discounts etc to get people to commit when ultimately there is no need to do this. I would continue applying over the summer, see how your applications go, and then make a decision as to whether the LPC or the SQE is the right route for you.

If you go into the autumn recruitment cycle, a lot of firms will be recruiting for 2024/25 by that point, and I think it would be worthwhile checking which firms you want to apply to and whether they have moved across to the SQE or not to help inform your decision on what to do.

Hi Gemma and Jessica! Thank you so much for your insight and advice on this. It has really reassured me and clarified any doubts I had regarding the LPC/SQE (especially regarding the fact that it is not imperative to accept an offer right now, despite all the pressure by the providers). I will most definitely take on your advice and continue sending applications until the late summer before committing to any of these. Hopefully it all goes well :) thanks once again, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: WillkieGemma
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.