Travers Smith Application Struggles

SportsThoughts

Star Member
Jun 4, 2019
Morning all

I have been following TCLA at arms length for a while and more specifically the disappointment surrounding Travers Smith with VS and TC application delays. I thought I'd finally make an account and attempt to contribute something back to the good advice people post on the forums.

Alike others, I received the 'spaces are now full' for the VS application, and the initial 'unlikely response until 31 July 2019' for the TC application emails.

This morning I received a further update again emphasising that it will be a 'couple of months' before they get back to people. They do reiterate that this is because every application is looked at and considered and that they will get back to us regardless of the result.

At least we have some sort of explanation as to the slow turn around - whilst frustrating, if this is because they consider application then perhaps it may well work in our favour.

Thoughts welcome below!

All the best

Ross

Reactions: Alice G

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2019
I just got this update for my TC app..not sure if I should be more hopeful or not.

"We apologise for the delay in responding to you regarding your training contract 2021 application.

Due to larger volumes of applications than normal, and a particularly busy time with our summer vacation schemes starting next week, we anticipate getting back to you in the next couple of months. Sincere apologies for this, however, it is purely because we look at every application that is sent, and wish to give every application the consideration it deserves.

We will get back to you regardless of the outcome, so do expect us to be in touch about this application."

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Ross,

I hate to say it but I wouldn't be too optimistic if I were you. My application and the applications of many others who got ACs at other top firms weren't even read for the vacation scheme round!

I really hope you have a different experience but I thought I'd let you know just to prepare yourself that sadly your hard work over your application may be for nothing and may not even be read :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: Lawbour and Helena

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi Ross,

I hate to say it but I wouldn't be too optimistic if I were you. My application and the applications of many others who got ACs at other top firms weren't even read for the vacation scheme round!

I really hope you have a different experience but I thought I'd let you know just to prepare yourself that sadly your hard work over your application may be for nothing and may not even be read :(
    I completely agree with Daniel - not even read for the VS. Extremely disappointing.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2019
    Yeah, I'm not terribly hopeful for my TC app. Sounds like they're just saying that they will get in contact with us. I kind of get the feeling that I'm just going to get rejected no matter the quality of my application.

Natashaa

Aug 11, 2019
    Morning all

I have been following TCLA at arms length for a while and more specifically the disappointment surrounding Travers Smith with VS and TC application delays. I thought I'd finally make an account and attempt to contribute something back to the good advice people post on the forums.

Alike others, I received the 'spaces are now full' for the VS application, and the initial 'unlikely response until 31 July 2019' for the TC application emails.

This morning I received a further update again emphasising that it will be a 'couple of months' before they get back to people. They do reiterate that this is because every application is looked at and considered and that they will get back to us regardless of the result.

At least we have some sort of explanation as to the slow turn around - whilst frustrating, if this is because they consider application then perhaps it may well work in our favour.

Thoughts welcome below!

All the best

Ross

I just got this update for my TC app..not sure if I should be more hopeful or not.

"We apologise for the delay in responding to you regarding your training contract 2021 application.

Due to larger volumes of applications than normal, and a particularly busy time with our summer vacation schemes starting next week, we anticipate getting back to you in the next couple of months. Sincere apologies for this, however, it is purely because we look at every application that is sent, and wish to give every application the consideration it deserves.

We will get back to you regardless of the outcome, so do expect us to be in touch about this application."

Has anyone heard from travers?

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi everyone!

adding to the TS struggles, I was wondering whether anyone has an idea whether this e-mail I received from them following my winter VS application last year should be seen as a rejection or rather that they just didn't have time to get to everyone?

"Dear Karin

Thank you for applying for our winter vacation scheme.

We apologise for the delay in responding to you but due to the huge amount of applications we have received, the process has taken longer than usual. As I'm sure you will appreciate we are not able to interview all candidates that apply.

We would, however, like to thank you for the interest you have shown in Travers Smith.

Yours sincerely"

The reason I am asking is that I am reapplying this year and wondering whether it was a problem with my app or late timing!

Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone!

adding to the TS struggles, I was wondering whether anyone has an idea whether this e-mail I received from them following my winter VS application last year should be seen as a rejection or rather that they just didn't have time to get to everyone?

"Dear Karin

We apologise for the delay in responding to you but due to the huge amount of applications we have received, the process has taken longer than usual. As I'm sure you will appreciate we are not able to interview all candidates that apply.

We would, however, like to thank you for the interest you have shown in Travers Smith.

Yours sincerely"

The reason I am asking is that I am reapplying this year and wondering whether it was a problem with my app or late timing!

that’s a rejection to me - they are just apologising that it took time to be communicated to you given the volume of applications.

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    I am still waiting to hear about the outcome of my direct application for a training contract from the last cycle. They have been down to three people this year and struggled with the number of applications. I have already submitted my Winter Vac scheme app before hearing the outcome of the last cycle so I am towards the front of the pile as they recruit on a rolling basis. The last email I got from them said that they are interviewing on a rolling basis. So when the places are filled they will just stop reviewing applications/inviting people for interviews.

alohalo

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2019
    Hi everyone!

"Dear Karin

Yours sincerely"

do you mind me asking when you applied?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.