TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcriangrcy

Apr 18, 2022
Yeah course. It was 18 mins long, some firm related questions basically (why law, how do firms run as businesses), some situational questions like how do you make relationships with people, and then the rest were competencies. It was definitely one of the harder first round interviews I did but I think they want you to think on your feet so they don’t ask the genetic questions you’d expect. I’d say just know your main competencies like how you work in a team, how do you interact with people etc and you’ll be fine!
thank you so much!! super helpful :)

• Love
Reactions: thirdtimelucky

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
I look at it slightly differently as it definitely gives more people a chance to shine than it would without

I was very anti video interviews back in 2013/14 when they first started to come in. However, I started a project for a law firm and they needed to improve the diversity of their intakes, and the massive problem they had was they were making a really strict cut at the application stage, of about 1500 applications down to 60-70 candidates to see at first round interview stage.

That meant they had to make really harsh cuts based on things like a couple of percentage point differences in law module results or tiny writing errors. It was sometimes the case that people had excellent applications but didn’t come across well in person too (eg in a full 60 minute interview) and the partners dedicating their time to interviewing wanted a higher hit rate at interview).

Using video interviews the firm got about 200 people to have the chance to shine at interview stage, so over three times the amount. The hit rate at the first round interview increased dramatically and the intake of trainees diversified both in terms of ethnicity, social background, university and degree subject.

I have seen a lot of success since then.

I understand the awkwardness of them, but as far as I am concerned they are one of the best tools out there to select people down in the initial stages. My only concern is when AI is used to assess them (I am not sure any of the law firms do this - I am pretty sure they all still use people to review the videos) as some of the methods to design the AI and also the data sets for it are particularly questionable in my opinion.
@Jessica Booker I couldn't agree with this more. Using video interviews means I can interview triple the number of people I would be able to if it were a telephone interview etc. I also know they are awkward, but I only focus on what the person is saying, ie content, rather than how they are saying it.

Ambs123

Legendary Member
Feb 19, 2021
Just been sent a VI invite to WBD :) (Leeds office, applied 1 week before deadline)
so pleased. That will round off my app cycle - this is the only firm I have left. 😳 Going to have a good life re-evaluation afterward lol. Does anyone else have daily existential crisis’?
Yes ma’am everyday - WBD is also my final firm for the cycle! Wishing us both luck for this one 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.