TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
This is a very subjective question. For some it will be really hard others not so, much like any other course/exam.

The pass rate is roughly similar to the LPC. I personally hate closed book exams so I’m hoping the fact I’ve almost finished the LPC means whoever gives me a TC doesn’t want me to do SQE 2 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Thanks.. I mean yh maybe subjective to an extent but there’d probably be a general consensus as well haha

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Thanks.. I mean yh maybe subjective to an extent but there’d probably be a general consensus as well haha
    According to the SRA the pass rate for the first sitting of the SQE1 was 53%, so quite low, but there is no published breakdown of the results per course provider yet I think. BPP said 14 of their 17 students who sat it passed. I’m not sure as for the rest.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell and TCApp2021

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

For conflict checks pre-vac scheme, will it be an issue if I cannot recall the name of the clients I have worked with during a previous internship?

Thank you
    It won’t necessarily impact your offer, but could limit you to what matters you work on (because they can’t eliminate the possibility of a conflict).

Reactions: iget277

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Just wanted to ask you, can questions in the interview also flow from how we describe our work experiences? For example, if, while talking about an internship, I have written that I summarised India's regulatory framework around Toy Manufacturing and Payment Aggregation businesses, then can I get asked what laws are applicable to the same?

Another example is, if I have written that I looked up the grounds for disqualification of directors under the Companies Act and the timeline of filing different forms with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs for a private placement of shares, then can I be asked to repeat the details of the above research tasks?

Basically, can we be quizzed on legal knowledge if we have mentioned something legal in our application?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Just wanted to ask you, can questions in the interview also flow from how we describe our work experiences? For example, if, while talking about an internship, I have written that I summarised India's regulatory framework around Toy Manufacturing and Payment Aggregation businesses, then can I get asked what laws are applicable to the same?

Another example is, if I have written that I looked up the grounds for disqualification of directors under the Companies Act and the timeline of filing different forms with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs for a private placement of shares, then can I be asked to repeat the details of the above research tasks?

Basically, can we be quizzed on legal knowledge if we have mentioned something legal in our application?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, it’s very feasible you could be asked to explain this from the legal technicalities perspective. It is not likely, but you could be asked.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD and futuretraineesolicitor

ila-ultra

May 6, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I have signed a TC offer with a US law firm and I am very excited to begin the PGDL in September. However, I have faced some extenuating circumstances this year which means that I am considering delaying one of my exams to be sat in August, with final results coming in mid-September. As my TC offer stipulates that I must provide evidence of achieving 2.1 in my undergraduate degree, does delaying my exam prevent me from starting the PGDL? Could I lose my TC offer over this?

Would be so grateful for your insight, so sorry if this is a silly question!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I have signed a TC offer with a US law firm and I am very excited to begin the PGDL in September. However, I have faced some extenuating circumstances this year which means that I am considering delaying one of my exams to be sat in August, with final results coming in mid-September. As my TC offer stipulates that I must provide evidence of achieving 2.1 in my undergraduate degree, does delaying my exam prevent me from starting the PGDL? Could I lose my TC offer over this?

Would be so grateful for your insight, so sorry if this is a silly question!
    It is not a silly question - I know it must be causing some concern.

I don’t think it’s a case if you automatically losing your TC though - however it might just be that they have to defer your start date by six or twelve months, purely because you can’t start the GDL in the September.

I would speak to the firm about this and getting their thoughts on what would happen if you did decide to defer your exam.

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell, ila-ultra and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

As the legal industry is really quite a small world, I wanted to let you know that alongside continuing to work with TCLA, I will also be supporting Flex Legal with their recruitment process for their Autumn 2022 trainee programme for the next 4-5 months

A couple of you have already found out about this through questions that have popped up already, but I just want to make you all aware. If any Flex specific questions come up, you can email me directly at Flex rather than via the TCLA forums/private messages (just so I can keep the two work elements separate). My Flex Legal email address is [email protected] if you do want to contact me.

I'll still be here to answer the usual questions/give my thoughts on matters though - you don't get rid of me that easily 🤣!

Jess

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi everyone,

As the legal industry is really quite a small world, I wanted to let you know that alongside continuing to work with TCLA, I will also be supporting Flex Legal with their recruitment process for their Autumn 2022 trainee programme for the next 4-5 months

A couple of you have already found out about this through questions that have popped up already, but I just want to make you all aware. If any Flex specific questions come up, you can email me directly at Flex rather than via the TCLA forums/private messages (just so I can keep the two work elements separate). My Flex Legal email address is [email protected] if you do want to contact me.

I'll still be here to answer the usual questions/give my thoughts on matters though - you don't get rid of me that easily 🤣!

Jess
    Congrats @Jessica Booker and please do not leave us!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone - I am looking for some advice!

Does anyone know the best way to observe any court proceedings in London? If anyone has arranged such visits in the past, I'd be keen to hear from you!

SS1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 5, 2020

Does anyone know the best way to observe any court proceedings in London? If anyone has arranged such visits in the past, I'd be keen to hear from you!
    Hi jessica - I can't speak for London but I have been a couple of times in Nottingham and anyone can just go to the court read what's on in each court room and go in the one you find most interesting. I'm sure there are hearings which may need to be private but I did not encounter any.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021

Just Google “daily cause list” - that will take you to a Justice.gov.uk link that shows you which hearings are on each day in each court and whether they are open to the public

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.