TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all hope you're having a good Thursday!

I have a question - I have been invited to an interview on Tuesday in Liverpool however I am awaiting the outcome of a VS, and whether I have managed to convert to a TC. GR have said they will get back to us before the middle of next week (Wednesday).

For personal reasons, I find travel, interview etc a very challenging task.

I would much rather decline the spot in advance and (potentially) give someone else the chance of an interview if I have been successful during my VS.

To this end, would it be acceptable to get into contact with GR and ask whether I have been successful or not, so I can give the other firm good notice?

@Jessica Booker I would be forever grateful if you could advise?

Thanks in advance everyone!
I would recommend contacting GR and stating you have a deadline early next week and that you would appreciate if there is any chance to be notified by today/tomorrow, it would help you manage any conversations ahead of that deadline with the other firm.

Be mindful that they still might not be able to give you an update today though and that you may not have an answer ahead of your interview next week.

• Love
Reactions: AvniD and A.Diane01

A.Diane01

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    I would recommend contacting GR and stating you have a deadline early next week and that you would appreciate if there is any chance to be notified by today/tomorrow, it would help you manage any conversations ahead of that deadline with the other firm.

Be mindful that they still might not be able to give you an update today though and that you may not have an answer ahead of your interview next week.
    Thanks so much Jessica.

I have apologised about 3 times in my email as I feel so rude asking, but I just think it would be best if I don't mess anyone about from either firm.

Hopefully they will understand!

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    So i just received a rejection from my vacation scheme :( incredibly disappointed but will be getting more feedback later in august. Want to crack on with the TC applications but also don't know how to address not converting my scheme without the feedback. LMK what you guys think.

First of all, I'm so sorry about not getting an offer. But I want to say something that a TCLA staff member once told me: in a sense, just by getting on a vac scheme, you've made huge progress towards getting a TC. Keep on doing your best and you'll get that TC soon enough :)

Second, while getting feedback is great, I don't think you need to wait until August to start cracking on those direct TC apps. I'm sure there's a broad range of experiences from the VS itself which you can draw upon when writing your applications. Moreover, I'm not sure you need to address why you failed to convert the VS into a TC. As @Alison C said to me once, the whole phrase 'failing to convert' is quite deceptive - it makes it sound as if you have an equal chance of being offered a TC just because they gave you a spot on the VS. I think showing other firms what you have learnt about yourself and what you have done on the VS is more important than addressing why you 'failed to convert' (again, a phrase I don't particularly like).

Just my thoughts - and I'm sure more experienced people will have a different take on this - but I'm confident that you have what it takes to apply for direct TCs.

Last edited:

failedlegallyblonde

Standard Member
    Mar 7, 2022
    I have my first assessment centre in just over a week for a direct TC. The day is comprised of a group assessment and a formal interview. I think I know that to expect for the interview however I have never undertaken a group assessment and they haven't provided us with much information in advance. Can anyone please advice me on how to best prepare for a group assessment and any tips they have found helpful. Thank you

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    First of all, I'm so sorry about not getting an offer. But I want to say something that a TCLA staff member once told me: in a sense, just by getting on a vac scheme, you've made huge progress towards getting a TC. Keep on doing your best and you'll get that TC soon enough :)

Second, while getting feedback is great, I don't think you need to wait until August to start cracking on those direct TC apps. I'm sure there's a broad range of experiences from the VS itself which you can draw upon when writing your applications. Moreover, I'm not sure you need to address why you failed to convert the VS into a TC. As @Alison C said to me once, the whole phrase 'failing to convert' is quite deceptive - it makes it sound as if you have an equal chance of being offered a TC just because they gave you a spot on the VS. I think showing other firms what you have learnt about yourself and what you have done on the VS is more important than addressing why you 'failed to convert' (again, a phrase I don't particularly like).

Just my thoughts - and I'm sure more experienced people will have a different take on this - but I'm confident that you have what it takes to apply for direct TCs.
    Thank you for this- it means a lot! It's just hard to get over the disappointment when you've spent hours on something and were really banking on your hard to work to get you to the finish line. But hey, you're right- it's just one step closer to my goal.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    From what I know there is no word limit?
    Guys,

the words limit for the W&C training contract is 800, I have so far written 806..is this a big red flag?

Yep, there's no word limit. The TCLA W&C application guide says keep the word count between 750-800. But you're simply 6 words over. I don't think it's a massive red flag - so wouldn't worry too much. If you can find a way of cutting down some more words or even a sentence or two, could help alleviate some of your worry :)

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020
    Yep, there's no word limit. The TCLA W&C application guide says keep the word count between 750-800. But you're simply 6 words over. I don't think it's a massive red flag - so wouldn't worry too much. If you can find a way of cutting down some more words or even a sentence or two, could help alleviate some of your worry :)
    Ah I see, thanks! Mine is exactly a 1000 so will need to look at cutting down

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks so much Jessica.

I have apologised about 3 times in my email as I feel so rude asking, but I just think it would be best if I don't mess anyone about from either firm.

Hopefully they will understand!
    If you don't hear from them tomorrow, give them a call - you'll get an answer much quicker than waiting to hear back from email.

They are quite used to these things so they won't see it as rude at all.

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and A.Diane01

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Guys,
    W&C’s deadline is on the 15, does it mean tonight at midnight or tomorrow? I don’t want to be in the same situation I was with NRF.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.