SQE

traineeintraining

Star Member
Oct 29, 2019
Hi I was wondering if anyone is doing the SQE this year and if they could speak on how they're finding the workload I'm trying to figure out if I'd be able to work part-time alongside it. Alternatively, if anyone did the accelerated LPC and managed to work part-time could you also please tell me about how intense you found that and how many hours you would recommend working or if you would just recommend focusing on the course.

Finally, anyone who moved to London for the LPC with the help of their firm did you find that the maintenance your firm gave you covered your time there?

Thanks, xx

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi I was wondering if anyone is doing the SQE this year and if they could speak on how they're finding the workload I'm trying to figure out if I'd be able to work part-time alongside it. Alternatively, if anyone did the accelerated LPC and managed to work part-time could you also please tell me about how intense you found that and how many hours you would recommend working or if you would just recommend focusing on the course.

Finally, anyone who moved to London for the LPC with the help of their firm did you find that the maintenance your firm gave you covered your time there?

Thanks, xx
Hi @futuretraineej,

I am sorry not to have seen your post earlier! I hope that you had a lovely Christmas and New Year in the meantime 😁.

I am afraid I cannot answer your first and second question. However, in answer to the third, I have heard that those who have completed the LPC in London (not accelerated), that a grant of £10,000 was not enough to cover living expenses, rent etc.. I have found this this year doing the PGDL too.

Of course, this depends on where you choose to live etc. but given that it is difficult to find a tenancy for less than 12 months, it is unlikely that a grant will fully cover this (plus other expenses!).

I hope that helps!

Out of interest, have you obtained sponsorship yet or are you still applying?

Reactions: traineeintraining

macala russell

Star Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any more responses to this question regarding the workload of the SQE preparation course and if it is manageable to work part time as well.
Also, can anyone explain the City Consortium Programme? - how often would we being going in during this time? Is it assessed? Any insight would be helpful? ...

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any more responses to this question regarding the workload of the SQE preparation course and if it is manageable to work part time as well.
    Also, can anyone explain the City Consortium Programme? - how often would we being going in during this time? Is it assessed? Any insight would be helpful? ...
    I won't be doing the SQE with the CCP until 2023 but I would love to find out more! My firm sent me a long document with details about it but it still don't make a lot of sense. I think it said we would have to go in 4-5 times a week but not sure if thats true?

traineeintraining

Star Member
    Oct 29, 2019
    Hi @futuretraineej,

I am sorry not to have seen your post earlier! I hope that you had a lovely Christmas and New Year in the meantime 😁.

I am afraid I cannot answer your first and second question. However, in answer to the third, I have heard that those who have completed the LPC in London (not accelerated), that a grant of £10,000 was not enough to cover living expenses, rent etc.. I have found this this year doing the PGDL too.

Of course, this depends on where you choose to live etc. but given that it is difficult to find a tenancy for less than 12 months, it is unlikely that a grant will fully cover this (plus other expenses!).

I hope that helps!

Out of interest, have you obtained sponsorship yet or are you still applying?
    hi for some reason I didn't get a notification for this but yes my firm will be funding it

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    If I had to guess it would be going into the programme on 4 days a week. Also it will depend if you have an LLB or not. if not then you do the two term PGDL BPP course and exam first on the CCP. Then move on to the SQE1 term etc yes, I think it is likely to be assessed - the PGDL./law foundations BPP 2 term course is probably the same as the current PGDL newly introduced BPP law conversion course which BPP redesigned and started from Sept 2020 when that course moved from 3 terms to about two ending in April. However I am certainly not an expert and I may be wrong. I do think some kind of weekend part time job would also be possible although those on the CCP receive often a fairly large maintenance sum so probably do not need to work.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.