TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoughWood

Legendary Member
Trainee
Feb 24, 2021
Hi all!
I have an AC with Pinsent Masons for a direct TC and they've asked us to prepare in advance a SWOT analysis document that we will present on the day. Anyone have any tips on the best way to go about this? I've never done a SWOT analysis before
Hey, Congrats on the AC! A basic SWOT is to evaluate the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of whatever they are asking you to do it on.
For example, a SWOT for a brick and mortar retail business could be:
Strengths - established, local knowledge of business, USP of company
Weakness - brick and mortar so no online shopping offering for wider audience of potential customers
Opportunity - expand to online, could provide existing in-person customers a bonus or discount if recommending friends to shop online, potentially have reps for the business like body shop has with consultants
Threats - competition businesses, increased rates and overheads for brick and mortar store, economy issues

Hope this gives you a general idea and good luck!

• ℹ️
Reactions: zak98, AvniD, IT7 and 3 others

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
I would separate like this - for experiences where I can give tangible examples of how my role changed or improved something and delivered results or was an award i’d put in the second.

if my position didn’t have a tangible result or I just participated I’d put in the first.
Thanks @Abii! This is really helpful

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
There will be elements that only fit into one of these two questions, so be mindful to try and ensure those are in the right section. Also don’t miss things - people will often miss their general interests out on the first question, and I’d encourage people to include that.

For elements that could cross both (eg an extra curricular that also crosses into a PoR), I might explain different elements. Say for instance you have been a member of the law society and have benefitted from attending their career events, I’d put that in the first question. If they in my second/third year is joined the law society committee and was elected into a certain position, I’d mention that in the second question.

Same could apply if you have played a sport or been involved in the same activity (eg various choirs) over a long period of time and across multiple groups. Then I’d mention that more so in the first question, and then focus on any specific positions of responsibility related to them in the second.
Thank you Jessica, this is really useful! Will try to do this without repeating anything

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Don't have any hopes on getting an update from Akin Gump. I did WG for their vacation scheme 16th January and am still waiting for my rejection.

At what point is it okay to send grad recruitment a message asking for an update? And also, how long did it take to receive the WG after you’d applied? Still gobsmacked you haven’t heard back yet whew

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
At what point is it okay to send grad recruitment a message asking for an update? And also, how long did it take to receive the WG after you’d applied? Still gobsmacked you haven’t heard back yet whew
I have not seen any messages about tc offers from either firms. For example, I know that DWF has made tc offers following vacation schemes so I would wait a few more days.

Reactions: Adrian_S

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I applied 3 days before the deadline which was around 6th January I applied and I emailed graduate recruitment 2 times over the space of 4 months. I just leso after so am not waiting for my PFO.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Adrian_S

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    Is it worth making a speculative application to recruitment at firms. I have found a couple of boutique firms that I am particularly interested in. Is it worth taking the time to email their recruitment to see if there are any admin/ paralegal roles or work experience opportunities available there? Or is it not recommended to do so?!

Reactions: MarianaMartins
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.