TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If i’ve forgotten to add soemthing in an email to grad recruitment and sent it already is it ok to send a reply to that email just adding in the extra info or is that too much?
If the information is necessary for the correspondence, then reply with more info and apologise for omitting it.

If it’s not necessary for them to know, I’d probably leave it.

Mae East

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2022
I am writing an app to HFW. One of their questions is to talk about your main "extracurricular interests and achievements" and link them to how those interests and achievements help you to develop skill sets that will need as a commercial solicitor.

Since I graduated long time ago, it is kind of hard to come up with examples from extracurricular activities. would it be okay to draw examples from my work experiences? Many thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am writing an app to HFW. One of their questions is to talk about your main "extracurricular interests and achievements" and link them to how those interests and achievements help you to develop skill sets that will need as a commercial solicitor.

Since I graduated long time ago, it is kind of hard to come up with examples from extracurricular activities. would it be okay to draw examples from my work experiences? Many thanks in advance.
I would only include work related activities if those activities are in addition to your contracted role (eg you are involved in any internal networks, charity fundraising, mentoring etc). You could also focus on “achievements” to highlight certain things in your work where you have gone above and beyond in your day job (eg won employee of the month/highest sales in the company), but just talking about your day job should be left to your work experience section.

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
Hey guys, I'm back again after failing to convert my vac schemes. Slightly mortifying, but after a day of pitying myself, I'm ready to get back into the application process. Been doing some reading and it seems not converting vac schemes is not nearly as rare as I had thought, which has made me feel a bit better.

I will be applying to direct TCs now as I won't be able to get any more time off work to do more vac schemes (not that any seem to be open for applications anymore). I am also hoping that with two vac schemes under my belt, it will be a bit easier to get past the application stage. I can see quite a few firms still have their applications for direct TCs open, with most deadlines being the end of this month and next month.

Not really sure what the point of this post is other than to vent a little bit with people who understand lol

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hey guys, I'm back again after failing to convert my vac schemes. Slightly mortifying, but after a day of pitying myself, I'm ready to get back into the application process. Been doing some reading and it seems not converting vac schemes is not nearly as rare as I had thought, which has made me feel a bit better.

I will be applying to direct TCs now as I won't be able to get any more time off work to do more vac schemes (not that any seem to be open for applications anymore). I am also hoping that with two vac schemes under my belt, it will be a bit easier to get past the application stage. I can see quite a few firms still have their applications for direct TCs open, with most deadlines being the end of this month and next month.

Not really sure what the point of this post is other than to vent a little bit with people who understand lol
@PirateShip great to have you back after a break and wishing you the very best for your applications. I found the direct TC process to be incredibly rewarding for me and I hope it is for you too. Linking my thoughts on direct TCs here for you to help you navigate them. Give me a shout here on the forum if you have any questions about apps or the process in general!

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Please provide details of 1-3 achievements or activities that demonstrate the qualities we look for in a Macfarlanes trainee. You may include both academic and non academic achievements.

What sort of activities/qualities has anybody thats completed this part mentioned in this?
    (in need of some inspiration/clarification that I'm on the right path)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Please provide details of 1-3 achievements or activities that demonstrate the qualities we look for in a Macfarlanes trainee. You may include both academic and non academic achievements.

What sort of activities/qualities has anybody thats completed this part mentioned in this?
    (in need of some inspiration/clarification that I'm on the right path)
    I typically advise focusing on the qualities that Macfarlanes look for (see below) and the focusing on your experiences that really have developed or demonstrated those skills.

8A426224-8238-40AC-A5CD-249A60A541F6.jpeg

Reactions: AvniD

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I typically advise focusing on the qualities that Macfarlanes look for (see below) and the focusing on your experiences that really have developed or demonstrated those skills.

View attachment 4232
    Ok, thanks Jessica!

When it says achievements or activities, this to me suggests to exclude employment situations, am I right in thinking this.

So far im thinking along the lines of:

- Debating Society/Treasurer role at uni
    - Captain of Rugby Team at School
    - A short course that I did on Financing Solutions

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.